SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_firman74

Small cracks in shower pipes draining to sewer line?

Andrew F
last year

Hi all - I'm a little new to being handy with house stuff, so apologies if some of my terminology is wrong.

We bought a house last year that it turns out has had a lot of plumbing and related issues that didn't come up on the inspection. We live in DFW area which is notorious for foundation issues. Our house in on a screeded slab, so this was my original nightmare as I know the costs to fix are high. Luckily, the house has barely moved in 19 years since foundation work was done.

We've been having some gas line issues, and we had a plumber who came highly, highly recommend through friends who know him personally. He came out as a friend to give some second thoughts. We had just started having a sulfur smell periodically from our master shower. After he finished looking at the gas line I casually mentioned this and said I had put baking soda and vinegar to try to clean it out after finding it online. He said that was fine but got his sewer came to check. He went in through the clean out (I think?) that connects the bathrooms to the main sewer. I was watching with him and the pipes like old old old. We saw a lot of small cracks, as well as some small channels of standing water. This was my worst nightmare as I know that fixed likes this involve the foundation.

What he told me was these are tricky issues. We might not have known about it for 5 years, but it's also something that could get really bad really soon. He said normally we'd notice more issues like clogs, but the sulphur smell is a byproduct. Here's what i want insight on. I know that since we can see the cracks, we know water is getting into the foundation. Should we fix it now and try to stay ahead of it, or wait until it becomes a bigger issue? He ballparked 18-24k to fix it. Ignoring getting multiple quotes which we would do, because of the personal connections we really do trust him, but he was a little ambivalent just because it's hard to predict when it would actually become a problem.

What would you guys do? If you saw cracks like this would you immediately fix it? Or would you wait until a bigger problem came up before taking action?

Comment