SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

"Silicon tested in search to defeat the dreaded rose black spot"

Fingers crossed that you can access this article I spied in yesterday's Guardian Newspaper:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/feb/26/silicon-tested-in-search-to-defeat-the-dreaded-rose-black-spot

Silicon tested in search to defeat the dreaded rose black spot As our summers get warmer and wetter even the hardy English rose is vulnerable to fungal disease, but researchers are on the case

Comments (2)

• User
    last year

Silicate has been studied extensively in a variety of crops over the past 20 years or so, and has shown to have av positive effect in enhancing disease resistance in a wide range of genera. I used Dyna-gro’s Pro-teKt for a while 15 years ago, on roses and couldn’t say that i saw definitive evidence of improved Blackspot resistance. But I didnt do a control study, so there may have been some effect that i just wasn’t measuring.

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked User
  • BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    last year
    last modified: last year

Thanks for posting the article. I had tried Dyna-gro Protekt as well when I lived in Texas, but I tried so many different things simultaneously so I can’t say which ones prevented the disease. But I’d say Mancozeb and Propiconazole, more environmentally consequential chemicals ,gave the greatest protection. If I stopped beyond their recommended interval , blackspot would start to appear.

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)