SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynn_techqa

Kitchen cabinet update (2 tone?)

Lynn
last year
last modified: last year

We are planning a kitchen update in our 17-year-old home. A designer came in last year and basically advised painting or replacing practically every surface (cabinets, floors, counters, and even our furniture throughout the whole house) as outdated with the honey oak and cathedral arches. We have recovered from the initial shock and decided to replace the ginger maple cabinets, counters, sinks, and perhaps quite a bit of the furniture (eventually), but NOT to rip out solid hardwood floors just because they are 2.25" red oak planks. We can always refinish/restain later if we don't love the outcome.

Leaning toward BM White Dove perimeters and "Sage" stained wood island (probably alder or hickory, but I'm waiting for more sample doors). I've been trying to visualize if wood would be too busy with the floor, but I think the stain is strong enough to modulate the cabinet to not fight the busy floor. My cabinet guy sent me a photo of the same cabinet colors (rustic hickory here) recently installed for another client, and I used a flooring company visualizer tool to add red oak floors for a best possible representation of the color combination, and that helped me feel pretty good about the colors.

We're currently thinking all white perimeters and stained wood on the island, as shown in the rendering. Stained bases might be an option, but I think that might be too much. I'm not sure about "balance" right now, but that may be because we haven't selected countertops & backsplash materials, which will do the heavy lifting of pulling things together. (Completely disregard the grey counter, backsplash, and walls in the color rendering. I would plan to use a white-based granite or quartz counter that will include both wood tones as well, and I'm not even close to picking backsplash tile yet.) Perhaps that will be sufficent (along with our stainless & black appliances) to provide "balance" or integration across the design?

Photos: Current kitchen; potential cabinet color photo w/visualizer flooring; new plan rendering; sample doors in our space

Comments (8)