SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
m_pottsie

Please help!! I need advice about what to do with this room!!

m_pottsie
last year

I’m at a loss about what to do with my living room! It needs a refresh! The only thing that needs to stay is the piano. I’m ok with getting rid of the rest if needed. The entertainment center is an old one that used to house a box tv that I tried to modernize by taking of the top part in the middle, painting it black, and hanging a flat screen on the wall- it just doesn’t look right to me. I also don’t know if I should get rid of the maroon furniture, or if I can make it work. I’m up for anything! Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments (78)

• RedRyder
    10 months ago

The new rug is fabulous!

• marylut
    10 months ago

Nice paint color to salvage the existing display cabinets. I like the rug, it’s colors will let you change accessory colors with the seasons. Instead of buying sofa and love seat combo, I think sofa and 2 comfy chairs will fit in your room better.

• Related Discussions

Advice needed on what to do about browning stems on blueberries

Q

Comments (3)
    You might be able to obtain bromocresol green indicator solution from a university, or a laboratory, where soil testing is done. It is very inexpensive, one fluid ounce is all you need, and typically this would cost two dollars here in the USA. To test pH, simply water your blueberry shrub with distilled water, and collect some of the run-off from the bottom of the pot, where the drain hole is located. Filter the sample with a clean paper filter, add a few drops of bromocresol green, and see what color emerges. If pH is 3.8, or less, the sample will be yellow. Blue color means pH is 5.4, or higher, and green color means the pH is between these two extremes. Indicator dye solutions are used all over the world to find pH values, so there are people in Greece who can help you, if you can find the right person.
    ...See More

help - i need advice about my 1930's California Tudor home

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi, we have a 1931 Minnesota Tudor. In doing research on it I have found the most information in books and web sites on "Bungalows" and "Arts and Crafts". If it is like ours it is considered a Tudor Bungalow and the inside is mainly like the bungalows I have seen. We are re-modeling ours using Mission furniture and arts and craft's colors. If you look into bungalows you will find a lot on porches I don't think decks were used. Most of the Tudors if they have a porch it is in the back. Our neighborhood has many Tudors and only two have a front deck, both are without railings to keep the Tudor lines. Many people put in a front patio that is not attached to the house. This probably isn't what you wanted to hear, but do look at Bungalow and Arts and Crafts sites and books.
    ...See More

Please help I need advice about michelia alba close to a house

Q

Comments (11)
    Embothrium I think it should be fine and if it dies I wouldn't loose any sleep over it because the scent of the flower is over rated in my opinion. Wish I got to smell the flower before I bought it. Oh well...ill just stick to fruit trees next time lol. Rhizo a lot of people have that assumption about sugarcane but no it grows in clumps and don't send out runner roots that spread like crazy. The ginger might have been a problem but I moved the tree, I don't want a headache down the road when the trunk get too big. It's now 3 feet from the fence.. Hopefully that's enough room for the trunk to grow.
    ...See More

Please help! What furniture do I need for my living room?

Q

Comments (6)
    Agree with above and I'd get rid of the bookcase. It's too low for the space. Have tall bookcases built in to the ceiling and also a library ladder to reach the ones on top. I think you can use 2 sofas and perhaps 2 chairs as well, if they're the right ones. That sofa MUST be pulled away from that wall - looks totally wrong there and blocks the kitchen entrance.
    ...See More
  • m_pottsie
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I cannot thank everyone enough for all their help and ideas!! I am going to adjust the TV and get a conduit. I love the piano ideas too! I think I am going to get a sofa and two chairs instead of a loveseat. I’m deciding between a leather couch or an upholstered couch. I’ll attach a couple pictures of the room as it is. The piano is staying (not sure in this spot) but I’m getting rid of the couches.

• m_pottsie
    Original Author
    10 months ago

The room is a disaster! I do like the loveseat in a corner and was thinking of possibly putting one of the chairs there

• m_pottsie
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Our cat made an appearance on the couch

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

colors are nice. I don't think that spot is the best for piano. it leaves the sofas looking too crowded.

can you put the piano where the torch light is? or angle it where the loveseat is? move the sofa against long wall and loveseat between two windows.

or, sofa against long wall, piano between two windows, and lose the loveseat, bring in a small chair

• marylut
    10 months ago

Room looks crowded in the photo. The way you want to angle the love seat into the corner will make it hard for anyone sitting there to face people on the sofa to talk to them. If you want to keep the layout that way, move the love seat to the left so it does not overlap the doorway trim. If you add a coffee table you do not need the small side table between love seat and sofa, but love seat arm touching sofa arm will look awkward…you may need a comfy chair in the corner instead of a love seat.

• kl23
    10 months ago

@m_pottsie yes, the cat is telling you it wants something there so it can curl up and stare out the window, not any window, but THAT window.

You said at one point that you were willing to replace all the furniture. I'm glad you resurrected your wood furniture. It's really beautiful what you did! The color reminded me of this collection by Sherwin Williams. I wondered if you would like it enough to refer to it in choosing materials. Sometimes it helps to have a pallet. I think your new pillows will go nicely with this pallet. 

I don't think two sofas work nearly as well as would a sofa and two chairs. If you had a sofa with legs you could balance that with two swivel chairs. With cats, I had guests with allergies who preferred leather seating. The sofa here is leather, but you don't have to have leather. I love mine though. For the arrangement, center the sofa on the wall between the windows, giving your cat a pad of blankets by the favored window. Put a chair on each end. The wivel chairs allow them to move for conversation, enjoying a piano recital, or watching TV. Getting a matched pair allows for future rearranging options.

• m_pottsie
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I LOVE that palette and will definitely be using it! Thank you KL!
    All the furniture other than the entertainment center and piano I am getting rid of, I just haven’t picked out anything else yet!
    Beth, Here is a picture of the piano in the corner. I’ve had this room in every configuration possible! After looking at the old photo, I think I like it there! I’ve tried it in between the windows before, but it’s to long.
    I think I’m definitely going with a couch and two chairs.

• m_pottsie
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Piano in the corner

• marylut
    10 months ago

I like piano in the corner. Isn’t this a tv room, too? Before you buy sofa and chairs, post the room and window/doorway measurements so we can do a 3D rendering of the layout and give you appropriate furniture sizes

• Kelly Jones
    10 months ago

Great job! I love the color you chose for the ET!

• m_pottsie
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Here is my poor excuse for measurements of the room. Again, I can’t thank everyone enough for all their input!!

• m_pottsie
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Wow, RoomDesigner AI! How do you do that! Amazing! That is so cool

• RedRyder
    10 months ago

I like the piano in the corner too.

• Amanda Smith
    10 months ago

I don’t care for an angled piano. Does it fit between the windows?

• Amanda Smith
    10 months ago

Have you considered placing 2 loveseats facing each other?

• kl23
    10 months ago

It may be the best arranged in the world, but to me, that picture of the piano in the corner and the two loveseats opposite each other, tight up against the walls reminds me of a counseling session with a married couple struggling with infidelity. The two loveseats look like they can't stand each other. It just makes me uneasy looking at it.

• altadavey
    10 months ago

Here are some thoughts for you. You mentioned getting new furniture; in the meantime, use what you have! The new rug doesn’t add anything to the space, in my opinion; your original rug serves the purpose for now and your pillows and throws work with it. It looks like a rectangle so I’d place the longest side in front of the couch. I’d get the loveseat, end table, and the torchiere lamp out of there, float the sofa, rug, and coffee table centered on the EC (which looks great painted but I’d curate what I put inside it!) and the wall between the windows. Keep piano in the corner but take the stuff off the top to uncluttered it. Move your potted tree where indicated on my sketch. I’ll bet you have a small console or table you can place where indicated with your small lamp and artwork above. Select a few pillows and throw for the couch. Good luck! I think if you want new furniture a consult with a designer at a local store might help with selections, including a new rug.

• altadavey
    10 months ago

Looking back at your pics, I’d choose the windowpane beige throw to casually place over one arm of the sofa, and the two square beige patterned pillows to use on either side. Might shop for a small accent pillow to match the EC color as well. Keep items on the coffee table low: a small bowl and a couple coffee table books.

• kl23
    10 months ago

@m_pottsie what do you think of doing to your coffee table what you did to your entertainment center in one of the colors from the SW paint palet I posted and you liked? I like the shape, low profile and glass...just think it could get new life with your new light soft palet. You've proved you have the talent!

• m_pottsie
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Hi Everyone! Again, I can’t thank everyone enough for all their ideas. Amanda, the piano is too long for in between the windows! I tried it already! KL, that is funny, but it makes sense! Not cozy and too sterile! Alta Davey, I like your suggestions too and I will try to recreate your sketch to see how it looks. KL, I already gave away the coffee table, and once I did I regretted it!

• kl23
    10 months ago

@m_pottsie happy to bring a chuckle 🤗

Try not to regret letting go of the coffee table. What's done is done. Treat yourself to replacements that thrill you. You deserve it after tackling that huge entry center.

I think if you don't have a sofa/loveseat by the window, you will hear about it from your cat. One way or another…🥺

Besides, given your need to have it serve for TV AND piano recitals, it makes sense to put it there. A swivel chair where you originally had the loveseat would add seating without looking like it was guarding the living room. I really think that might be enough for basics. If you had lots of people in the room for a recital or chatting, how do you feel about bringing chairs in from the dining room? Keep it simple? There might even be room along a wall for a dining room chair to sit so the dining room table doesn't have to be packed when not in use. That makes it free for projects. So think about that palet you liked for both rooms.

• felizlady
    10 months ago

I’d move the piano to the center of that wall. The TV should be no higher than eye-level to a seated adult. The wires would be less visible if going straight down. I would reduce the number of pillows and blankets on the sofas.

• marylut
    10 months ago

Here’s a layout option separating the TV /TV stand from the 2 taller pieces. The pair of swivel side chairs are 28dx30w.

• marylut
    10 months ago

So much easier on your back to try out layouts with a 3D rendering than to move furniture IRL.

• marylut
    10 months ago

Another option if you have blackout drapes on windows and move 1 of the tall cases to another room (unless they fit along a wall (I don’t have the ET pieces dimensions).

• marylut
    10 months ago

Don’t fret about giving up the glass top coffee table, glass is harder to keep clean in a busy family room

• k8cd
    10 months ago

I love the changes you made- painting and the piano in the corner. Any other progress?

• m_pottsie
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Hi Houzz friends! I updated the room I previously posted about. Any thoughts? I need some ideas for what to do over the couch? The picture over the chair is something I’ve had for many years that’s been in the basement that I just bright up, but am willing to change. I’m still not sure if I’m sold on what I’ve done to the entertainment center. Thanks for all your help!

• m_pottsie
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Additional photos

• k8cd
    5 months ago

The frame (I can’t really tell what the picture looks like) looks very formal and heavy for the room. I would look for something else there.

I recommend going to local art shows, etc. to find something that speaks to you.

• jck910
    5 months ago

Agree with @k8cd The art is too dark and heavy for the great changes you have made. I would use the darker blue/gray from the rig for the accent pillows & throw. The beige is to blah.

• m_pottsie
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Thank you both so much for you wonderful ideas! I will definitely be taking down that picture and looking for new pillows👍

• teresale2013
    5 months ago

I read all through this and am wowed by what you came up with!

Probably some tweaks like art above the couch and making sure you can enter the room easily from the entry...

The color scheme is so pretty!

• m_pottsie
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Thank you so much for your kind words and suggestions!

• toni1947
    5 months ago

Couch and the color of your entertainment center

• toni1947
    5 months ago

Trying to say, I love the color of your entertainment center and your choice of sofa

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

color is beautiful. Nice job.

I would find a nice piece of art to go here. (can you remove the table/lamp in that corner and push the sofa bac a bit? that lamp doesn't really work there. )

Make sure art is not too small

this size and height would work

or you could do multiples

I really like how this center unit turned out. very nice shade of blue

I'd lower the tv about 6" and see if you can hide the cords.

between the cords and the small knick-knacks, it's looking a bit chaotic. lower the tv and the cords won't be as noticeable, remove the small frames.

this isn't difficult to DIY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Mb23tK2lLg

but, if it's too much work, at least get a type of conduit to hide the cords, paint it to match the wall

• Jan
    5 months ago

Yes hide the cords in the wall, it can be done.

• RedRyder
    5 months ago

The blue you chose for the big furniture piece is perfect. I love the couch. The room definitely feels “lighter” without the big pieces being black. I would look for a throw that is closer to the blue as another option for “dressing” the couch.

The heavy framed artwork seems out of place. Perhaps it works somewhere else. You need to spend some time looking for the right art to liven up the walls. Art fairs are great when you have them in your town, but there are a ton of great websites as well. Unique art can be found on Etsy.com and you would be supporting an artist. Greatbigcanvas.com has good options in a variety of sizes and styles. Art.com is another website I like.

The room looks much, much better with the blue you chose.

• kl23
    5 months ago

@m_pottsie does your cat approve of the new arrangement? I see a throw over the back of the chair but no cat.

Lovely what you've done!

• Cara Fidler
    5 months ago

I would move the piano to the opposite wall between the two windows, then move the two cabinets to the wall where the piano was and paint them a nice shade of grey and also paint the piece of furniture under the tv grey. Get rid of the throw you have on the sofa and get a grey throw with some burgundy in it. I would move the sofa so that the longest portion is opposite the tv and the shorter part is on the oppposite side of where the cabinets have been moved. Consider an area rug with grey and burgundy and maybe some navy blue accents.

• drblount10
    5 months ago

Good morning, just tuning in! What beautiful colors in this room! I do see the pass thru is blocked from the (entry?). Could you float the sectional? There are 2 ideas I had.

• drblount10
    5 months ago

The chair kind of threw me, so here's 2 I had. You may want to hold off on walls until you get everything placed where you want.

• drblount10
    5 months ago

Now, if no one uses the entrance by the stairs, the way you have it works. In the future maybe curtain that entrance, or put a folding screen, not sure?

Your room is inspiring us, myself included!

• m_pottsie
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Thank you everyone!! I love seeing all the posts and ideas that you offer! Lucky the cat is loving the new couch!! Thank you for asking! I’ll have to get a picture of the finished room with him in it!

• drblount10
    4 months ago

Hello, and Happy Thanksgiving! Any updates?

• Melissa L
    4 months ago

What a transformation! Awesome job creating an airy, inviting space.

Consider keeping that old, ‘heavy’ art front and center. It reads as contemporaneous with your piano and it has personality.

If this were my house, I’d probably swap the coffee table for something that looks like the vintage of the artwork and piano, remove the wire-looking thing in the corner (I can’t make out what it is—perhaps it’s perfect for the space and I am just not seeing it right), and bring the cabinets right up to the ceiling and against both walls.

• drblount10
    4 months ago