Houzz Logo Print
kmcgowan35

Care to give layout feedback?

chicagoans
last year
last modified: last year

Background:

- Recently purchased circa 1985 brick ranch

- Completely gutting the cramped kitchen (it's gone now)

- Removing tiled kitchen floor, adding hardwords and refinishing all hardwoods to flow throughout first floor

- Raising first floor ceilings to 9' (maybe 9'6") - there's plenty of room in attic per builder

- Closing one entrance to kitchen to add a mudroom from garage and extend the main kitchen wall. (This was not an idea everyone loved (hi Mom) but it was the only way to get more wall space in the kitchen)

- Adding a skylight with venting and built in shade, to aid circulation now that the one entrance will be closed; skylight will be centered over island

- Adding windows to take advantage of beautiful yard that slopes down to a creek and wooded area

- Two people will live here, plus visitors a few times/year

- I don't need the dinette area (was to the right of the kitchen); the dining room at left plus island are fine for seating; previous dinette area will transition into fireplace room

- There's a patio off the back door and another off the walkout basement

- Part of kitchen on full basement, part on high crawl so plumbing can / will be moved

- Budget is ~275k (will expand if needed and includes some renovations in lower level)

- Yes the garage is big - multiple vehicles and bicycles

- I'm living elsewhere but nearby while all the work is being done

Wants:

- Functional for two cooks, plus small gatherings, plus a few times/year large gatherings & parties

- Comfortable, welcoming place for friends to visit, or for us to sit by a fire to read or enjoy the view

Draft design (sorry I realize the writing is faint(:

- Note: Plan is for main kitchen cabinets and island in white; section to the right of the fridge will be a coffee / beverage station in wood to transition to the fireplace area, which will have some wood accents (like the mantel.)

Adjacent spaces / walls to be torn down marked:

First floor / new walls marked:

Comments (10)