SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathleen_smith6227819

Has anyone done or know about doing a tile shower?

Kathsgrdn
last year
last modified: last year

Have had major issues with the company I'm working with for my bathroom remodel. After finding they used a non GFCI outlet in the bathroom even after I told the person managing the work that I had bought one and the light switches for the bathroom, I got concerned. They never asked me for them and used their own. I talked to a friend who has done a lot of work on her old house and is currently renovating a newly bought house completely, she told me to make sure they use some type of moisture barrier before putting in the tile/backerboard.

So, I asked and found out they used Rhino synthetic underlayment. The only thing I've found out about it on the internet is that it's used under roofing tiles. I also asked about it on the bathroom forum and one person said it couldn't be used in a shower. So, then I looked up the backerboard they used, which is only 1/4 inch thick and according to the internet, you should never use 1/4 inch, has to be at least 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch.

The tile is on the wall but no grout. I'm am so depressed and mad at myself for not stopping their work after the demo team of theirs really screwed things up. They did fix it, or the plumbers they contracted fixed it and then their other workers came to clean the mess up, or so they said. I need to go look for myself, but am still sore from my fall.

Can anyone tell me if they totally ruined my shower wall by using what they used? I'm going to the tile store to return one box (maybe since I may have to rebuy all the tile again) and pick up the tile for the floor. I'm going to see if anyone there can answer the questions too. Do I need a lawyer? They're supposed to come early tomorrow to grout the tile. I'm pretty sure once the tile is on the wall it can't be reused. What a mess. I will never do this again if I can help it. I was going to redo my kitchen in a couple years but now I'm not. I don't ever want to go through this stress again.

Added: I checked the shower more closely and they used 1/2 inch backerboard on the showerhead wall. I don't really know what's under the other walls because there are no openings. But there is 1/4 inch stuff leftover in the garage. I guess I need to find out what they used for that for and if they used it for the rest of the shower. I still am not sure about the Rhino stuff.

Comments (13)