SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Mideast ingredient: Date syrup, Shawarma, Aleppo pepper

Lars
last year

We went to Arab Market (AKA West L.A. Internationa) yesterday, and I bought some ingredients without knowing how I would use them. I bought some

I would like to use the date syrup in recipes, and I was planning to substitute it for honey in the 100% whole wheat bread recipe that I make, although I do not need bread right away. In fact, I bought a huge sheet of Ara-Z Sangak Multigrain Flatbread (37" x 14") because I cannot resist it when I see it. If I do not use it up quickly, then I cut it into strips and toast it lightly. It makes great crackers when toasted and tastes much fresher than boxed crackers.

I've been substituting malt syrup for honey, but since the recipe calls for 1/3 cup of honey, it can get used up reasonably quickly.

Although I bought a beef shawarma spice blend, I will use it on chicken, but I do not know how it will taste, since the spice ingredients are not itemized on the jar. I think it might contain cinnamon, allspice, cloves, nutmeg, etc, but I think it should have coriander seeds, all spice berries, cumin pods, sumac berries, turmeric, black pepper berries, paprika, garlic powder, ginger and cloves. Since it is from Lebanon, it probably has the warm spices, I tasted it, and it appears to have a fair amount of salt, but I think it will be good on chicken - I will have to remember to omit salt when using it.

The Aleppo red pepper is very mild and reminds me somewhat of Gochugaru and has the same flaky texture. I'll try sprinkling it on a few things like rice and vegetables, or add it to mayo on a sandwich.

I mostly need suggestions for date syrup, but I'm also curious how others use Aleppo pepper flakes.

Comments (13)