SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laura_wade60

Kitchen table help

Friscolite
last year
last modified: last year

Hello. We’re remodeling our kitchen, we installed warm grey maple cabinets and COREtec Iona flooring. Kitchen cabinets will have matte black hardware and light counter top. Now with all this, our table doesn’t look right, its natural oak. I’m thinking maybe switching to round table or refinishing this one, just not sure what color too choose?
P.S. Its a very small kitchen and it’ s only table we have as we don’t have a dining room. We’re family of 4.

Comments (25)

• Shasta
    last year

I think a table stained dark brown like your door and window frames would work. 2 wood colors is enough in your kitchen so you need to match your cabinets or door. A small round table would be nice if it fits. Are you doing a backsplash?

• Friscolite
    Original Author
    last year

Probably something plain in light or neutral color, not to clash with flooring. Same for the countertops. Rest of the house floor is similar brown hardwood floors like the window and the door too.

• Friscolite
    Original Author
    last year

It’s not open floor plan though..

• Paul F.
    last year

It is a little clunky with your new delicate, pretty kitchen. Treat yourself with something new. Round with a white marble top comes to mind.

• Kendrah
    last year

How many of you eat in there regularly?

• Friscolite
    Original Author
    last year

4 of us

• Valinta
    last year

Wait until you finsh the remodeling, then address the table issue - refinish, paint or get a new table.

• tdemonti
    last year

How does the table fit if you rotate it? otherwise, I’d shop for round.

• herbflavor
    last year

I would seriously wait a bit. You are not quite done w everything. It seems a little stark w plain wall and fridge in that area . You can do some things and I would consider a few options to "buffer" the fact that the fridge had to go there. A single banquette bench against the wall comes to mind because there are numerous ways to create a lot of aethetic value w that . That would be a nice long term addition to that end of the space but plans would be laid out for the best way. Just keep what you have for now....measure your space and think of something with greater long term value.

Savvy Interiors · More Info

Photo · More Info

Tamara Mack Design - Interiors · More Info

here's other things like trim/ use of wallpaper /color/ art / to make the end of the space a coordinated expression of something reflecting your taste. You have the pretty kitchen..this end of the room is just the 2nd phase. think out some details. It will pay off with the beautiful warm cabinetry you put in.

Hand Painted Walls · More Info

The Concept of Happy · More Info

Auburn + Grace Kitchen/Dining/Living Space · More Info

North Beach Dining Nook · More Info

• la_la Girl
    last year

Easy to paint with a sprayer if you like the table and just want to change up the color -

• RedRyder
    last year

Black (round) comes to mind. But I agree you need to wait until the kitchen is finished. It looks great so far!

What color hardware are you using?

• Friscolite
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you all for your advice! I’m being inpatient, just wanting to have everything done. I’ve been waiting for this kitchen for 2years:) and as always it looks different then envisioned 😅
    @herbflavor, thank you! Fridge going there was our solution to gain some counter and cabinet space. It was tiny 1979 kitchen that we’re trying to make functional and pretty. I’ll attach few pics from before ..

• Friscolite
    Original Author
    last year

Redryder, it’s matte black stainless steel..

• Shasta
    last year

Such a dramatic change. Nice!

• marylut
    last year

You have greatly improved the layout and clever recessed fridge solution. Have patience and trust the process - you are looking at an unfinished kitchen, counter and cabinet hardware are not in yet, it’s too soon to add kitchen table into the mix and you may find the oak is needed to warm up all the gray and cool tones. Trust it will all come together in the end.

• RedRyder
    last year

Love that you’re using black hardware. Once it’s installed, maybe a white topped round table with a black metal base would work. My brain keeps going to round, not rectangular for some reason.

• Friscolite
    Original Author
    last year

I deleted my other post about the kitchen counter choice, but you guys think about Cambria “Colton”? It’s kind of creamy with some brown and grey in it, subtle movement.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

Looks like the perfect location or a banquette

• Friscolite
    Original Author
    last year

Hardware and counters are in.

• Friscolite
    Original Author
    last year

Black hardware and faucet

• marylut
    last year

Wow! Loving all your choices.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    last year

Think I might suggest a small round bistro type table in an ebony colored finish.

• RedRyder
    last year

I love the black hardware with the cabinet color! Really nice.

Now that the countertops and hardware are done, you can see how a black black or white tabletop can complement the room. It would be hard to find a wood top that works with the unusual finish of the cabinets, so I wouldn’t use that.

Have you thought about a backsplash tile or are you keeping it painted? It looks great as is.

• Friscolite
    Original Author
    last year

@RedRyder, thank you.! Yes, eventually we’re planning on backsplash, just not right away;) I’m thinking something neutral, maybe some sort of warm white. There will be couple floating shelves by the window in same finish as the cabinets too.