SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
14belsize

Bathtub waste and overflow - code?

last year

Hi, question for plumbers. We are building a new home in Nassau County, New York. The bathtub was just installed on the 2nd floor. The plumber installed Gerber brass waste & overflow in the area without future access. Bathtub sits above another half bathroom, which will be fully drywalled without future access to bathtub waste and overflow. You can’t really see Gerber W & O in the picture as it’s above that P trap.There is a TJI beam on the way so the plumber had to a lot of maneuvering. He tried to install Cable Operated Tub Waste and Overflow but it didn’t fit because the TJI was on the way. He wanted to cut TJI and we said no. I think the cable operated unit was glue joints as it was plastic. Does anyone know if the code requires PVC waste and overflow? Would that be NY or local or some other code? Can anyone point me in the right direction where I can find the language for the Code so I can discuss with the plumber? It was already installed but the space below was not drywalled yet. Should we replace it now while we still have the chance? Where would I have an access panel? There is half bathroom below bathtub and it would look really weird if we have access panel in the ceiling. I had never seen one done it this way.

thank you!

Comments (2)