SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sonofabish

Interior design help

last year

We moved into our home about 15 months ago and every wall was bare and white. Paint was the first thing we addressed, and I stayed busy this summer with outside projects. I'm now ready to tackle how plain all of the walls are in our formal living room and dining room.
I'm looking for advice on what would spruce it up and make it commensurate with the type of home this is...
I love coffered ceilings and wainscoting, so those are things on my mind... but not 100% sure of the fit and how to go about designing it. Any creative people want to help? 😁 ... big shapes, small shapes, rectangles, squares, waist height, half the wall ,etc. I'm not artistic at all...
also open to ceiling tiles of some sort if it'll work, as an easier alternative to coffered.
Also open to other ideas
FYI, ceilings are between 14 and 18 feet, depending on the room

Comments (22)

• PRO
    last year

Gold paint? What were you thinking? Accent walls? What is this the 80s"

The gold is so dreary and the sheen on the walls is not attractive.

Many of us would have told you to stick with the white and add color with the items you place inside the rooms.

Here's an example of a room similar to yours. Plain white but not lacking any color with all the different types of items placed within it.

• last year

Imho, the plain white was miserable. And it's not gold.. it's a neutral cream... Sherwin Williams Colony Buff...

• last year

You can always use your current arearugs layered with your new rugs or in your bedrooms.

• last year

One more comment, artwork should be hung at ee level. The artwork you have in your living room appears to be hung too high up.

• last year

I don't see any coffered ceilings or wainscoting????? The wall color is fine but the LR furniture blends into it it. The blue wall is overpowering. You need textiles first. The rug suggested above would be beautiful in your dining room. It would need to be much larger than the one in there now. With rooms with high ceilings, you need large pieces at the floor level to offset the the height. Is there a family room for the TV? That space looks to be more of a sitting area than a room. The furniture layout isn't working. It blocks up the room's openness. Again, a much larger rug is needed. Your aesthetic is "old world" based on your furniture style and the home's style is more contemporary. Not to be nitpicky but the dining table covered with plastic is unattractive. I would definitely work on window treatments. I'm sure none of this is what you wanted hear but your dilemma titles lends itself to more than just "wall decor"

• last year

I'm looking to maybe add wainscoting or coffered ceilings.... just not sure how... that's why I said I like it. 

Appreciate your thoughts

• PRO
    last year

IMO no additon of either coffered or wainscoting in fact my first thing would be anew railing for thestairs those look like cheap builders with not thought to the style of the house . I see overstaffed furniture is thta staying ?I hate that trim under the railing on the upper wall to the left what the heck is that. I see very tradtional furniture in a contemporary house so adding traditional stuuf on ceilings and wall will not be agood choice. Get soam large art pieces take those tiny ones in the LR down and when you handg the new the center at 5'-5 12' from the floor it makes no difference how high the ceilings are . I agree take the cover of the table . That firniture does not fit in that LR Maybe choose some nice classic less bulky furniture for there I am surprised that in a home this large there is not another place for the TV which is way too high for proper viewing but could go on the wall where the too small table and thta art is hung.@ sogas at right angles to eachother then could have the FP and the TV focal points easily A nice low wide cabinet on the wall I mentioned then the TV above it wall mounted low enough for proper viewing would be my choice . Please no fake flowwrs or fake plants , some nice drapes to warm up the DR, those tiny lamps in the entry need to go. This a large house and needs to have furniture that is right for the spaces .

• PRO
    last year

Congratulations on your new home. Your beautiful home has a lot of potential. I suggest a coffered ceiling, especially in the entryway. Just wondering, do you have another room that you can use as a TV room? Your fireplace is so beautiful it’s a shame to have the TV draw attention away from it. Best wishes, MAE

• last year

I love coffered ceilings as well, but I'd put that in your family room or master bedroom. Those kinds of ceilings add a coziness that would fight the lovely tall ceilings in the entrance. The ceiling height gives your entrance an impressive grand 1st impression. I'd add a beautiful entry chandelier that suits your taste. So many options out there. Depending where you live you might select a style and work from there. Here are a couple impressive chandeliers that IMO compliment your grand space. Just make sure the size is large to compliment your space. Remember every change you make will change the look of your home dramatically. Make your changes in stages, allowing you time to live with them for a while getting used to them. I find it helpful to print out pictures of items you consider, holding the pictures up in the space to help yoou envision how it will actually look. Good Luck!

• last year

Mae - yes, we have 2 other TVs in the house. One in the finished basement and one in the family room on the other side of the kitchen from these spaces

• PRO
    last year
    last modified: last year

What you need? Is to get off Houzz. Yes I mean it. You need an interior designer on your site, and a good one.. You need an overall plan, a budget to implement. You need someone who is going to help you visually bring the ceilings down in a home that has rooms too small to support the height. Windows will lock you in, One doesn't just slap up coffers. Slap up wainscoting.

You get a designer, you bring those ceilings down with interesting and lovely human height decoration, with lighting, with rugs, furnishings, with textiles and more............................and plan that a good one will tell you "no" on the navy wall.

The money you spend on the designer ? Will come back to you in result, and cut through what will turn to a 15,000 thread of comments/opinions/suggestions and no real fix.

Take that advice to your bank. It's the best advice you'll get here.

• last year

I am not a Pro.
    Beautiful place!
    JMO…. If this were my place I would have painted all the walls and ceilings one color. It would break up the chopped up feeling I get looking at your rooms. Then accessorize with color. Paintings at eye level. Beautiful area rugs, etc.

Wainscoting, coffered ceilings, etc. Not needed. The dramatic heights of the rooms are visual enough. Spend your money elsewhere.

• last year

I agree with others who recommend you find a designer. As you admitted yourself, design isn‘t your strength. The colors you chose to paint are not good.

• last year

People think “designers are expensive.” You know what’s expensive? Mistakes. You need someone on site helping you with an overall-house-plan. Doing it piecemeal through Houzz won’t help make it cohesive, lovely and, most importantly, yours.

• last year

New rug as suggested. TV on wall perpendicular to blue fireplace wall and much lower. One sofa facing fireplace, one sofa facing new TV location like an L - shape with end table conjoining them.
    Chair to the right of sofa facing fireplace. Marry the blue in room with multiprint throw pillows. Lose the track lighting.

• last year
    last modified: last year

Why are people so mean on here? Especially so called pros. Hiring a pro is a great suggestion. Just make sure that pro listens to what things you like. Worst thing you can do is hire someone that belittles you one way or another. A client's preferences are paramount.

• last year

I would recommend removing the TV from the pretty living room and just focusing on the fireplace. Maybe say goodbye to that little table in the living room and try to square off the furniture. You may just have one too many chairs in there. I would also remove the red rug in the DR and focus more on the blue tones, which would be nice with your wall color (I don't hate it at all). The chest in the front hall is a little big for the space. You've got a nice traditional house and I don't think you have to go crazy with wainscoting and coffered ceilings. Maybe focus on pretty drapes to soften the windows, esp in the dining area. I think the blue in the lr is too bright, also. Finally, I would paint the entire staircase area the white - ie don't have blocks of the beige.

• last year

Without knowing how much you want to spend, or some inspiration pics, it's going to be hard for people to give you advice outside of "hire a pro". There are too many variables. What look are you trying to attain? This comes to mind, but you don't indicate how far you want to it. 

The paint color and wood tones are, regrettably, very dated and doing you no favors.

• last year

Barbara .... don't sweat it, it's no big deal. I've been around forums for other hobbies for 20 years and there's always nasty comments from people trying to make themselves feel better. My spouse gets fired up, I just chuckle.

To those with constructive comments, thank you.

• PRO
    last year

Hello Sono, Wishing you the very best in your new home. I'm with Barbara. Don't get it. Bottom line, if it makes you happy and you like it than do what works best for you and your spouse. Your home, your way. Best of luck to you and yours. Signing off.

• last year

If you want coffered ceilings, then call in a contractor who can do it to get their opinion. If they are any good they will give you sound advice.

You like one paint color and someone else likes another. What color do they want you to paint your walls - some shade of white or grey - Puh-leeze! There is nothing wrong with your paint color!