SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kitkatcal

Swapping kitchen and dining room: flooring transitions and materials?

Kat T
last year

Hi - this is my first time posting, though I've read about 50k discussions here. Really appreciate all the helpful advice and expertise!

My question: My husband and I are remodeling the kitchen/dining room of our 1920's home. It's close to the beach, but we're leaning more into the *hopefully* timeless look of the era rather than the fact that it's technically a ~beach house~. That said, goal is to keep it light and natural.)

After much deliberation about layout (there were too many doors/windows in the current kitchen, and we didn't want to lose the light by closing any up) we're essentially swapping the location of the current kitchen with the dining room and adding a coffee bar (in the style of the kitchen) to what will soon be the dining room. (Attaching images that will hopefully clarify the major/functional changes:

Lower level floor plan:

Kitchen/dining area (most recent printout from Home Depot, but slightly out of date):

Current look:

Our cabinets are ordered (https://www.kraftmaid.com/browse-cabinets-products/cabinets/color/rainfall) as well as the wood floors (https://www.llflooring.com/p/builder-fts-pride-3-4-in.-walnut-hickory-solid-hardwood-flooring-3.25-in.-wide-10029561.html).

We'll likely go with a Silestone dark grey/blackish countertop but haven't pulled the trigger as we want to decide in tandem w/ tile.

What we're trying to determine now is what flooring to use in the kitchen/dining area and how/where to transition it.

My husband feels strongly that we should have tile in the kitchen. I've proposed other options like LVT or continuing the wood, but he has a hangup about vinyl—I choose my battles—and we agree that the moisture in the kitchen and around the doors wouldn't be ideal for our brand new hickory floors. I tend to lean toward hex penny tile (I know this is not a recommended choice for kitchens/cleaning) as well as long/skinny tile (3x12, 4x16) maybe laid in a double herringbone pattern - haven't seen this much outside of bathrooms...assuming there's a reason for that.

My father in law (a plumber by trade) is doing pretty much all of the work for us, (which is incredibly generous and we are eternally grateful.) He is of the mind that we should transition the tile at the opening from the kitchen to the living room as well as the living room to the dining room... I think it'd be odd given the coffee bar is almost like a continuation of the kitchen (or at least that's my hope!)

I've devised an alternative where we use the island to divide the space and put tile along the back wall of the house (which has 1 exterior door currently, but will have 2 by the end of the remodel.) The second door will be one side of the double window. I'm going to try to attach a bunch of photos. I also mocked up a REALLY ROUGH sketch of what I'm thinking:

I'd love any thoughts at to:

1. If this will look totally bizarre and is a complete no-go... thinking about how it'll look when you walk in the door, which is in the bottom middle - off the sunroom, I honestly do not know. I also have no idea if it'd make the space feel cramped, awkward, cut off?

2. Thoughts on how to address the transition that'd be in the middle of the dining room (my thought was a built-in with storage in the back, but maybe that's terrible?)

3. Alternative suggestions for flooring layout... Is my father in law correct? Should we just tile the kitchen and be done with it? I fear it'd make the living room feel smaller.... or like the kitchen is encroaching on it, but maybe there's something I'm missing?

4. Tile options that would work with our color scheme/style. Want to keep it light, but feel overwhelmed when it comes to tile given the seemingly endless options.

Thank you so much in advance!

KT

Comments (19)