SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beverett1

Need help with furniture layout to determine final room size

Barbara
last year
last modified: last year

I am getting ready to add an addition to my house which will be a family room/sunroom area. Since I have the option of adjusting the current plan to increase the depth of the room, I have been trying to picture how to furnish the room which will determine the final size of the room. The purpose of the room is an informal family area to enjoy the outside views. The only furniture that I have for the room is a 52” wide display case, and my husband now says he wants a TV in the room. This is my retirement house, so it is just the two of us. I can’t visualize how to make the best use of the space. It is off the kitchen, so I could put a dining area here instead of my current 12’ X 12’ dining room. While we don’t entertain that often, I would like to have enough space to have a ladies’ party of about 16 people. It doesn’t always have to seat 16 folks because I would use additional chairs found in the house and put in there for an event. The two walls that will be added on the left and on the garden side will be windows rather than solid walls.

Here is the proposed room.

The next picture is an exterior view showing the outside steps and all of the windows.

This pic shows the left side.

Option One--The first pic is a diagram of the proposed room. I can leave the space as drawn.

Option Two--While the width of the addition will be 26’ 6”, I can make the outside steps go from 48” wide to 36” wide to gain an additional interior foot of depth.

Option Three—For the largest interior space, I can move the steps from the current location to the left side and increase the sunroom up to four feet wider.

One part of the dilemma is the ceiling will be different on the right vs. the left to blend with the current roofing. The dotted line shows the break in ceilings. The left is vaulted while the right is a flat ceiling at 9 feet.

Below is a drawing of the exterior steps moved to the left side.

How do i need to arrange furniture? What size space would be the best?

Comments (20)