SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carrierebekah

Countertop Edge & Corner Radius???

carrierebekah
last year

We are upgrading our builder grade laminate & trying to figure out what edge & corner radius for our new Calacatta Azai quartz kitchen countertops we should pick.

1) In store, the eased edged, which is more squared off, felt a bit 'sharp' so I leaned towards a 1/4" bevel edge. Originally it felt like the bevel added a bit more of a finished look, but now I'm hearing it's considered dated & it's hard to find recent pictures of anyone using it. We have a pretty simple white and gold kitchen (the new undermount sink will be stainless and we are doing a gold faucet to match the cabinet pulls) so it felt like the countertops could handle a bevel without it being one of the more overly ornate edges.

Bevel edge:

2) The template guy said more radius for the corners is better to prevent chips, but I like the more squared off look. There seems to not be the best standardization between fabricators on naming, but all the 'eased' square radius options online have a little roundness so its never a true 90 degree corner.

Our current laminate has huge rounded corners and he showed me a little plastic overlay of the smaller rounded radius he suggested & it was a great improvement from what we have. Then I see pics like below and love the clean square corners! It feels more modern (though a Google search claims rounded edges are 'in'??? to me its the opposite - the more round and bulbous the more dated it would be?).

We have decent room around our island compared to other homes we have been in where the island is more cramped, so I'm not super worried about hitting corners. Don't remember ever hitting myself on previous islands or peninsulas.

Can I get opinions on:

1) whether prioritizing defense against possible chips is more important to you than the corner radius aesthetic & your experiences with quartz chipping at the corners? (Ex: chips are inevitable so pick what you like?)

2) what edge do you think is better for resale (basic eased/squared, bevel, or something else)?

3) if you have pictures of bevel and bevel with rounded corner radius vs an eased/more pointed radius that would be super helpful since i am horrible at visualizing

Thanks

bevel edge & eased radius
eased edge & eased radius
bevel edge & round (1/8-1/4") radius

Comments (18)