SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Low sugar/carb, low salt diet

last year

I talked with a physician this morning for my annual health evaluation, and she recommended a low carbohydrate (as little sugar as possible) and low sodium diet because she said I am at risk for diabetes and have hypertension. I keep my blood pressure under control with medications, and I generally do not eat much in the way of sugar because it normally doesn't appeal to me, and neither does salt. In fact, I leave salt out of a lot of recipes because I often have an aversion to it.

What are your favorite things to eat that fit in with low carb and low salt?

My sister just sent us a Christmas package that has a lot of candy in it but also half a dozen pears from Oregon. I know the candy is bad, but what about the pears? Are they high in carbohydrates?

It is easy for me to cut out salt, but carbs are another matter. For that matter, my sodium levels are already low.

I really like grains and pasta and have found it next to impossible to cut these out, and so I am looking for ways to make them fit in with my diet. The doctor also told me to have a low fat diet, but I will not take that to an extreme, as I know that many nutrients are fat soluble and that a certain amount of fat is necessary to help make one feel full and stop eating.

I also like potatoes and like them without salt or sour cream, but I do like a bit of butter. I also like to make potato frittatas with eggs, cheese, and peppers.

I think the main change I will make in my diet is to drink more water, and this should help my kidneys.

Comments (17)