SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluemarble

Happy holidays and the conservation dilemma

bluemarble
last year

Hello, houzz community. I was inspired to start this discussion because of recent comments posted to a dilemma regarding holiday collectibles vs disposability. The idea of buying new home decor to stage a party then throw it all away when the guests are gone kind of shocked me. This wasn't just paper plates and napkins, but decorations and dishes.

I'm curious if this is common, the practice and the indifference. Houzz is a community of real talent, creativity and kindness. Please share how you make an effort to enjoy the holidays with regard for the planet and all of its inhabitants. I would also implore each of us to kindly offer alternatives to those around us who show such disregard any time of the year.

It's encouraging to read about community members donating time, muscle and used goods, caring for backyard critters through the winter, shopping the basement or hosting exchanges. I'm sure you all have great and specific ideas...like repurposing Christmas cards as gift tags or literally taking the disposed of holiday decor back out of the trash!

I collect cardboard boxes from friends and family to break down for recycling, try to buy things that have lasting power, and rarely feel the need to replace anything yearly (not doing something can be good for the planet, too). We can enjoy each other and the holidays with last year's - or great-grandma's - dishes. I bought Christmas china 20 years ago (service for 8) for $40 from an overstock warehouse. It still makes me smile. Some might think at that price, you could replace it every year. My ask is that you don't. Pretty please.

Comments (57)

Sponsored
More Discussions