SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chippydudu

House Renovation Questions on Time & Material Contract

Annette
last year

Hi

We are in the beginning of our whole house renovation and just got our 1st bill from our GC.

We were surprised to see some of the fees that are not specify in the contract. Examples are as below:

1. Premium for using forklift, excavator and skid steer owned by GC: $60/hr

2. Premium for using dump truck and excavator owned by GC: $85/hr

3. Profit and Overhead on:

(a)using the large equipments (i.e. forklift, excavator and skid steer) owned by GC;

(b)county dump fee for debris/garbages from demo the house

The contract we signed is a "Time and Material" contract with a % of profit & overhead on all materials and labor. There’s no mentioning on how much we have to pay for renting his large equipments in the contract nor in person before the job started. So my husband and I just assumed it will only be labor fees on excavating/demolishing the house. And we also assume the markup will only occurred when purchasing materials for the house not on renting large equipments and county dumping fees.

My question is:

Is it reasonable for our GC to charge us on:

(1) renting his large equipments since there’s no agreement on that;

(2)markup on renting his large equipments;

(3)markup on county dumping fees or any other fees like permit fees?

And can we dispute the payment?

Does renting his large equipments and debris count as “Materials”?

Should we end this relationship and start looking for a new GC?

(I am a little panic right now.....)

We feel there’s not enough transparency in communicating those fees that weren’t mentioned in the contract and afraid there will be more surprise in the future……

p.s. we don’t have any experience dealing with GC as this is our 1st time house renovation, so maybe we were wrong? What we experienced is normal industry practice?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida