SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brooke_callahan47

Damp Area: Impervo alkyd enamel???

Our 2 year old twins have forced us into remodeling our entire bathroom
What I need:
Durable, easy to clean, true white
What I got:
True Value paint guy sold me two very expensive items he said was the best for the job. Easy to clean. Will stand up to wear & tear for years. My husband metaphorically crapped his pants and was speechless the rest of the day when he paid $150 for 1 gal primer (BIN)+ 1 gal paint (Benjamin Moore Satin Impervo Alkyd Low Lustre Enamel White)
(Not to mention the +$50 for brush, sanding sponge, etc...)
I would like to do this once and never again (ha ha) or at least not for a long time. I would like our home to be real estate quality for when we sell 5 years down the road.
So, I've been doing a lot of research to justify this being the paint we want/need but I'm finding some mixed reviews.
All cabinetry, vanity, is factory white.
Trim, windows, baseboards, gloss white.
Near the toilet, paint is all chipped due to frequent cleaning (& poor aim). Other areas are yellowing- likely pine wood grain showing through.
I've been reading this paint yellows over time. Difficult for touch ups down the road. I want it to match cabinetry: true, pure white, no undertone. How much will it yellow? The label says it will yellow more in a poorly ventilated area which is by definition, our bathroom. We have a 12 ft? high ceiling in our bathroom... very high... a humidifier and looking to install a ductless fan... there's water marks all over the walls from people forgetting to turn on the dehumidifier when showering. Poorly ventilated.
I also read there's a greater chance for chipping in a damp area.
If I use this paint and in 3 years it's yellow and chipped, I'm going to be sooooo heartbroken and my husband will probably be... not happy lol
PLEASE ADVICE!!!!!
(When trim is re-done, walls are getting painted Demask .... white with pink undertone... paint guy recommended the Impervo for the walls too!)

Comments (8)