SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
petalique

Liguria & Porto Fino — Stanley Tucci now and repeats later CNN

petalique
last year

Gorgeous. And as I typed ”gorgeous,” Stanley said that word.

Comments (15)

• Bookwoman
    last year

It's the last one for a while, alas. I've loved all the episodes.

petalique thanked Bookwoman
  • petalique
    Original Author
    last year

Me too. I recorded a couple. I put potato with my pasta e pesto. My pesto in’t as bight green, I noticed chef Roberto used less pine nuts and less cheese than I do. Less garlic too. So it was mostly basil leaved and olive oil.

I want to dine on coniglio.

I want to just hang out in one of those bays or coves — kayak, sail and dine on seafood.

I once did make a perfect black cured olive and sea salt focaccia after having it in Liguria.

• petalique
    Original Author
    last year

Wouldn’t the toasted brown oine nuts make the pesto dark olive brown - ish?

One Italian chef (PBS, he tells stories, I can’t think of his name right now) said that he’s tried toasted and just plain and he doesn’t detect much difference. Neither have I.

Chef Ro berto made his pesto with a lot of basil leaves and olive oil, compare to the other ingredients. Maybe I should write him. No, better to drop by ;-)

Meanwhile, there is this…

• John Liu
    last year

Yes, but the dark brown nuts or garlic don't stand out as much against the dark green basil as lighter untoasted nuts or garlic would.

petalique thanked John Liu
  • petalique
    Original Author
    last year

So, you leave your pesto a bit chunky? Does the mortar and pestle not “homogenize” it? not the correct term. Chef Roberto first mashed the garlic and plain pine nuts into a creamy uniform paste.

• faftris
    last year

After watching this series, I have added so many things to my bucket list. The topper is the train from Rome that goes on the ferry to Sicily. Awesome!

petalique thanked faftris
  • petalique
    Original Author
    last year

I found these photos of pesto and yummy looking food from Liguria and restaurants around Chiavari. So, surprise to me, there is more texture than I appreciated in the pesto. I spent a little time in that area and in a cottage in Leivi.

I want some of this, NOW!

I often add potatoes, but will next add green beans to my pasta with pesto.

• petalique
    Original Author
    last year

Here are a couple of recipes from one of my books.

Unfortunately, I can only recall a bit of Italian. I would love it if someone could translate. Or, there may be something on my ipad or iphone that will translate.

• petalique
    Original Author
    last year

I was encouraged to have ”cima” someday. I never got to do that. My sweetheart was so enthusiastic about some of the dishes.

• Gooster
    last year

There is an app to translate from photos. We sometimes use it to verify our understanding of legal docs.

Yes, the classic technique I've seen is to make the paste first. There is a

with Roberto Panizza and he shows the machine method as well.

I still have memories of a vivid green pesto, freshly made, atop gnocci in a humble trattoria in La Spezia. The green bean/potato combination is also a classic found on many menus. We love crossing the border into nearby northern Liguria (and it is so much cheaper, and so good). Those greenhouses line the hills, especially close to the main autoroute. I have a great cookbook that has recipes on all the sub regions that line Liguria, and across into the ancient part of Liguria that is now part of the French Riviera.

petalique thanked Gooster
  • Elmer J Fudd
    last year

" I would love it if someone could translate. Or, there may be something on my ipad or iphone that will translate. "

Download Google Translate from the App Store, should work on both devices. Indicate the appropriate "from" and "to" languages, then touch the camera symbol and show the image on your screen. The text will magically appear in the "to" language you chose. Its output is particularly impressive when used on text displayed in other than the Latin (Roman) alphabet of Western European languages.

petalique thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • petalique
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, Gooster and Elmer.

• Gooster
    last year

@petalique The specific app is the Google Translate app, using the camera function to capture the page and then translates it.

petalique thanked Gooster
  • petalique
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks again Gooster. I hope I have time in the coming week to test it. Thanks do much cor the video link. I loved it and that is the same chef that Tucci visited. What a fine fellow, I learned some interesting things. I love basil and pesto.