SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zeedman

What, nobody planting garlic this year?

Strange not to see a garlic thread by now, I know there are a lot of growers here. I just planted my 2022/2023 garlic on Oct 24th. A little later than usual, but it's been warmer than usual, so all is good. Had 9 varieties last year, but dropped one (Dubna Standard) because it was a 3rd MPS (Marbled Purple Stripe) variety, and I am going down to 2 varieties of each type.

• Carpati (artichoke)
  • Estonian Red (MPS)
  • Georgian Fire (porcelain)
  • German White (porcelain)
  • Krasnodar Red (MPS)
  • Ron's Single Center (artichoke)
  • Special Idaho (rocambole)
  • Vic's (rocambole)

Planted 20 of each. Originally, I had intended to replace Dubna Standard with Japanese (Asiatic type) but that will have to wait until next year.

All of the garlic was neglected last year due to a death in my family, but still did great. I fully expect that next year, with TLC & light fertilization, they will do even better.

Comments (58)

• CA Kate z9
    last year

I had a clove that was sprouting and so I seperated it and planted each. They are all in one large pot and growing quite well. It will be interesting to see what I get.

When we lived out in the country I planted about 10 differnt kinds….. and fed the Italian Gophers handsomely. We never got a one and I gave up on that venture.

zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin thanked CA Kate z9
  • beesneeds
    last year

I got mine in a couple weeks ago. I had to reset last year, and ordered a variety of things. A couple dropped off the list for this year. But what in this year are small plantings of Armenian, Chesnok Red Penoski Purple Georgian Crystal, Crysilys Purple, Northern White, and Up North. Up North was a gift from a BiL in upper Wi, I don't know what it acually is. I'm only doing 8 of each to keep up seed stock for now. I did larger plantings of Dunganski, German Xtra Hardy, Music, And Early Italian for named varieties. A large planting each of Home Hardneck, and Home Softneck, grown out from mother clusters here for years. And introduced a large planting of Jolly, a large softneck from a local farm. It is very good, so I decided to plant a bunch to see how it fares against the other softnecks next year.

The bed is also tucked under it's pine straw for the winter.

zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin thanked beesneeds
  • Related Discussions

planted garlic too early... what should I do?

Q

Comments (4)
    My garlic sprouts every year before winter. The shoots kind of just sit there green all winter in suspended animation. Yes, I'm in a colder zone than you... but I would just mulch it well for the winter, and don't worry about it.
    ...See More

Where can I buy garlic bulbs this time of year?

Q

Comments (8)
    The farmer's market here in Duluth had several different home grown varieties. I bought 4 different bulbs and separated them and planted about 32 cloves. Nice cuz I didn't have to buy 1/2 pound of one variety or pay shipping. Just hope they grow.
    ...See More

Just ordered seed garlic - what are you planting this fall?

Q

Comments (7)
    I got no idea of names, but I'm growing local garlic with stories, lol. From spring 2011 to fall 2015 I had been garlic adopted by a kindly folk that sent me seed garlic and and working it to a good couple years of growing.. to fail. Back in spring 2016 I had a fail. All 9 of my hardnecks failed to come up, though the softneck planted in a section in the middle of the hardnecks sprouted up ok-ish. That summer I kind of lost the bed to weeds and by fall cleanup I realized I had a LOT of little garlics kind of dying off in the softneck area only- and missed harvest by a couple months, lol. So just left them in the ground and harvested them as "Mother Clumps" in 2017. Had an ok harvest of "Mother Clumps" last year. This year was a really good harvest year- and I made sure to leave the little bits behind so hopefully I'm growing "Mother Clumps" again next year. Not sure if it's because I've been letting it grow like I have or some other garlic is in what was originally just one softneck kind. There's softnecks, hardnecks, and I'm not sure what that grows scapes that get big tasty bulbis clusters breaking out of the scape a few inches up from the soil line. Some are whiter, some get pretty purple and rose tints in their wrappers. I like the range of sizes- heads little and tender enough to pickle whole up to decent grocery store and a bit bigger sized heads all in one harvest. Also in 2016, had someone gift me with some garlic "scrap". They worked with a family member that runs a small local garlic farm and usually has "scrap" garlic not suitable/big/uniform enough for their commercial needs under names, but big/good enough to mix the ends of all the kinds to the fall farmers markets.. friends wanting to use up "scrap" or heh, fed to the guys livestock if too small.. I had talked to the guy one day at the shop randomly about my odd garlic fail. A few weeks later he dropped off a couple pounds of "scrap". Anywho, most of that got dug into a couple perennial beds in fall 2016 and now have gotten clumpy too enough that those will see their grow out year for harvest in 2020. So I'm growing "Vliets Scrap". "Vliets Scrap" has hard and soft necks, but I haven't seen any of the neat bulbis clusters like what's in "Mother Clumps". I'm doing some purposeful seeding again this year for the first time since the whole 2016 fail. "Bean Lady's Bigs". This is a local market seller. I got good garlic from her in the past for a couple years, then didn't really see her face for a season or two- turned out she had a bit of a general garden fail, and was bouncing back again with some wonderful fresh dried beans.. (yay for having Tiger Eye beans again) and some garlic she wasn't sure of the name of. Like me, she had some mixups while regrowing and wasn't sure of which hardneck was the one that went strong. It was nice meeting up with her again and chatting about it all. I opted to call it "Bean Lady's Bigs", not her. "Snip Braid". This softneck was found at a roadside stand while I got lost one day this summer. It was a honor box setup, with a few different veggies, some little potted up herbs... And some garlic braids. I could tell it was home-grown/braided. Braided uglies, lol. lopsided, a bit dirty into the root base, dangly trimmed roots with greens twisted like only a farm with kids and a roadside stand can do.. along with snips to "big cut heads, 3/$1.00, small 5/1.00". Cleaned and trimmed braids of a dozen nice ones were 8 bucks. I opted for the best 2 heads off the snip braids for a taste and seed, and paid the buck because they were big and nice.
    ...See More

Carry over garlic from year to year

Q

Comments (3)
    Garlic needs to be cured and then you store it, setting aside the best bulbs with the best cloves to plant back late next fall, not right away and eating the rest or processing that into frozen or powder. If properly cured storing is pretty simple. Most commercial garlic is stored in building sized coolers prior to shipping to grocery stores and quite naturally starts to sprout when brought back to room temperature. Your own cured garlic should never go into the refrigerator unless you need to vernalize, which you probably need to do where you are. A decent cure should have your own garlic lasting until it finally is planting time again at least. You got a nice bulb back. Cure your garlic properly and then just do over what you just did. There is an old saying: "if it aint broke, don't fix it." So just repeat what works. There are all kinds of Internet links showing how to harvest and cure garlic. Read a few if them. The process is quite simple and pretty forgiving.
    ...See More
  • daninthedirt (USDA 9a, HZ9, CentTX, Sunset z30, Cfa)
    last year

You have to be careful about garlic planting instructions, depending on where you are. You see lots of garlic planting instructions that DEMAND that garlic be planted deep and covered with loads of mulch. As in, 5-6 inches deep, with as much mulch on top!! But that's because, if you're up north, planting in November subjects them to fierce freezes, and the ground freezes. That can not only kill the germinating seedling, but the freeze-thaw cycle can kick the clove up to the surface. Deep planting, and insulating with mulch protects them. Down here, the soil NEVER freezes. Not even close. 2 inches deep is plenty, and I understand that mulch isn't usually used.

zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin thanked daninthedirt (USDA 9a, HZ9, CentTX, Sunset z30, Cfa)
  • ekgrows
    last year

I will, but it's still to warm. I've still got highs in the 70's. Probably plant it next week. I've got german extra hardy, music, armenian, romanian red, and bogatyr. Unfortunately, I lost my planting record from last year, so they are 1,2,3,4, and bogatyr. lol. Still hoping it will show up so I can properly identify the other 4.

zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin thanked ekgrows
  • itsmce (zone 6b, Kansas)
    last year

I will, but not for several weeks. Would love to get a bit of rain so I can more easily rototill the garden first.

zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin thanked itsmce (zone 6b, Kansas)
  • Donald V Zone 6 north Ohio
    last year

Mine went in about 2 weeks ago. One of my favorite crops. Easy, never had any issues - none, ever. Each year when I finish my last clove I get depressed.

zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin thanked Donald V Zone 6 north Ohio
  • wcthomas
    last year

Finished putting mine in yesterday. Tilled in Harmony with a little limestone, and planted Music (135), Estonian Red (135), and Russian Red (180) for a total of 450 cloves. Watered well and laid down 3" of dried grass clippings mixed with a bit of chopped leaves. Always a good feeling closing the garden gates for the winter!

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    last year

Nice Tom! I need to try Estonia Red again. I grew a small amount once before and got the biggest bulbs I've ever harvested but the next year I had a bad case of white rot and lost all of the Estonia Red and a couple other varieties.

Don't forget to put your rakes away for the winter!

• biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)
    last year

Got mine in the ground today - a couple weeks later than my usual Halloween-ish, but the weather has been freakishly warm this November, in the mid 70s most days. Anyway, my harvest last year was a dismal failure so I decided to scale back and only planted what survived rather than buying new stock. I ended up with 38 Montana Zemo, 18 Kyjev and 4 Music, plus a few unknowns that I found sprouting in my beds when I went out to plant. We'll see if they survive transplant. I increased spacing a lot this year, too, from around 6" last year to 10" this time. Fingers crossed for a better harvest in 2023!

zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin thanked biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)
    last year

This is my first year planting garlic and, as noted earlier, I somewhat disappointingly seem to have an anonymous variety. They're coming up, but I'm surprised that the germination rate in my garden bed appears to be only 70% or so. Is that normal? I only planted out the large cloves in my bed, and threw some of the smaller ones in a couple of containers, which are also coming up, but the germination rate for those is unclear. I'm filling in my bed with smaller cloves which, I gather, will not produce as well.

• beesneeds
    last year

Winter is offically here. We got four inches of snow over the weekend, a nice blanket over the beds. Good thing, we got more snow falling and probably hitting some January cold temps over the next week or so.

Took a handful of small heads and put them in a planter last week. Filled the other half with little onion sets. In the kitchen window they are already popping up. Fresh green garlic and onion greens :) Got some green onion tails regrowing in one of the pepper pots in the window too. The peppers are taking forever to go orange, sigh. Even when there is snow I still like to garden in the window.

• party_music50
    last year

I nearly always grow fresh parsley through the winter (two pots this year), and try to remember to save some Egyptian Walking Onions to pot up for growing indoors. Thanks for reminding me... I'm off to the gardens to look for EWO bulbils!

• beesneeds
    last year

One of these days I need to get some EWO... I always seem to look in the catalogs at the wrong time of year and they are sold out. Or stupid expensive. I did finally get a ramp patch started this year, hopefully in a few years I can get lots of them to grow in out back.

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    last year

beesneeds - You could try here. I just ordered some.

https://www.etsy.com/market/walking_onion

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    Original Author
    last year

The best place to get Walking Onions is from other gardeners. The bulbil clusters mature in mid- to late Summer, and are usually traded then (although plants are sometimes traded in Spring). I maintain several different perennial onions, and usually have walking onion bulbils stored over the winter... but not this year. Too much snow on the ground to dig some out now. :-( Send me a PM next year if you don't find any elsewhere.

• Donald V Zone 6 north Ohio
    last year

dadinthedirt that seems low. I never pay attention but I also never recall have gaps in my rows. Some do seem to take longer so may be more will come up? Fresh garlic is one of my favorite things from my garden!

• wcthomas
    last year

dadinthedirt, I typically have a germination rate of 98+%. If you mulched the garlic, check under the mulch in the gaps to see if any plants are laying sideways. A coarse mulch such as leaves can be difficult for some shoots to penetrate and they will grow along the ground instead of upright. These can be rescued by removing some mulch and standing the plants up.

zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin thanked wcthomas
    last year

Thank you. I was pretty careful in planting to make sure that the cloves were all right side-up, and there was no mulch applied on top (warm climate). Clove depth was two inches. I had four bulbs, and I'm beginning to suspect that one was just dead. Good to know that germination rate ought to be much higher.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    last year

I typically get around 90% germination but don't always see 90% emerge with top growth in the fall. In your warmer climate you may see growth all winter. If soil stay above 40ish they should continue to grow.

Did the cloves from that one bulb show and browning or softness?

Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

I've had both good & bad emergence over the years. The common factor in all of the bad years was excessive soil moisture, due to a combination of excessive precipitation (including snow melt), heavy soil, and poor drainage. In all of those years, the garlic was planted at ground level... sometimes mulched, sometimes not. Since I began planting in a raised bed, losses have been almost non-existent. Last year, I only lost 5-6 out of 150. Like @wcthomas, I watch carefully when sprouting begins, to free any which may be trapped under the mulch... but with course hay as mulch, most sprouts thread their way through without difficulty.

Artichoke varieties seem to be the most sensitive to waterlogged soil. One sign that this is happening, is that many of the surviving plants will form "stem cloves" well above the soil line. If you get those cloves, keep them, because they are the silver lining within that otherwise dark cloud. Planting those cloves in a location separate from the rest of the garlic can, in a couple years, yield fresh stock free of the soil-borne diseases which can accumulate over time in garlic bulbs. Periodically refreshing stock via bulbils, and rotating planting areas year-to-year, will help to maintain garlic bulbs at their largest.

• kevin9408
    last year

I typically have a 98%+ germination rate too. Dan, did you refrigerate your garlic for about two months? You should have for your Zone 8, and should be just now be thinking about planting garlic., Nov. - Dec. is your planting window.

Garlic doesn't need to be protected from the freezing temperatures, and using thick mulch when the garlic hasn't went through vernalization will not grow a bulb next year. Dan if your bulbs didn't have a sufficient period of vernalization your only chance of getting a bulb is NOT to mulch until spring to keep the weeds down.

Old dutch of St. Paul, Minnesota who stopped posting Sept. 2021, stated he never mulched his garlic. He was never concerned about size and wasn't looking for big bulbs and never mentioned the cloves heaving out of the ground. The cloves will heave up if planted to late and hasn't put out roots to hold them in the ground when it freezes without mulch, but planting early will have two much top growth and will weaken the plant. But up north if you plant late usually a blanket of snow will insulate the ground so little worry, you'll just get smaller bulbs.

I've went from a few inches to a foot of dried leaves with no difference in outcome, and I'd rake excess mulch into the rows before they sprouted for weed control if needed. The eight Midwest universities suggest garlic will benefit with 2"-4" of straw mulch but they don't say how they'll benefit or if it's even necessary. No it's not necessary. but I do it for two reasons, to control weeds and the other of a lesser concern is to give the garlic the time to grow a bigger roots system before the ground does freeze. Because I do want bigger bulbs and nothing to do with heaving.

Planting depth varies by whom ever you reference and I have seen a few web sites stating 5" to 6" deep, and they should be dismissed . Up here in the cold north the mutual consensus from eight Midwest universities recommend planting to a depth of 3"-4" deep, or with the top of the clove twice the depth of the clove height . Sure, like I'm going to go by the clove size, and I just stick them all in about an inch or two regardless of size, and has worked for me. For central Texas many sites recommend planting garlic 2"-3" inches deep, or twice the depth of clove size (I guess garlic is smaller in Texas), so to me 6 of one or half dozen of the another, and no precision is involved. But over 4 inches and you may have problems.

last year

Well, I didn't keep track of which cloves came out of which bulbs, but all the bulbs looked pretty reasonable. I'm just saying that if a quarter didn't germinate, and there were four bulbs, one bad bulb could explain it. The bed is somewhat raised, and moist, but certainly not waterlogged. As I said, I filled in the gaps with smaller cloves. Do I understand that smaller cloves are not as productive?

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    last year

As a rule smaller cloves yield smaller bulbs but still usable.

Original Author
    last year

" The eight Midwest universities suggest garlic will benefit with 2"-4" of straw mulch but they don't say how they'll benefit or if it's even necessary. No it's not necessary. but I do it for two reasons, to control weeds and the other of a lesser concern is to give the garlic the time to grow a bigger roots system before the ground does freeze. Because I do want bigger bulbs and nothing to do with heaving."

I did get some frost heave in the years when I didn't mulch - and none when mulched. Planting time for me is somewhat subject to weather, but I always plant ASAP after the October frost. I've never had sprouting though, so it's possible that I could move up that planting window somewhat without penalty. Maybe an experiment to try next year, weather permitting... it's rare that I get TWO dry planting windows.

Two additional benefits of mulch. In addition to allowing more root growth before the ground freezes, it also delays thawing in Spring. This prevents premature sprouting should there be an unusually warm spell in Winter. Those are not uncommon here... a prolonged early thaw as recently as 2021 tricked fruit trees into flowering, and the subsequent freeze destroyed most of that year's crop (including mine). Unmulched garlic might not be killed if it sprouted then underwent a hard freeze, but it would likely be stunted to some degree.

The other potential benefit of mulch is that if a green-cut material is used (such as hay) it will begin to break down relatively quickly, releasing some nutrients as it does so. i prefer to use a grass/clover hay, and other than whatever material may be turned under before planting, add no fertilizer other than that.

last year

Re vernalization of garlic, I see a couple of references suggesting that, but most of the references for me growing locally, including our extension, make any mention of that. No, I didn't do that. Quite possibly it was already done on the bulbs that were sold in the nursery. Might be wise for a home-brew batch, though. My winter should accomodate that.

• kevin9408
    last year

Dan, you got me wondering so I did a search for information, and I made a slight mistake only half true. Hardnecks require 6 to 12 weeks of cooling at least below 40 to 45 degrees to produce bulbs. Softnecks on the other hand do not require vernalization to produce a bulb, but chilling them in the fridge for two to six weeks and they will produce larger bulbs. Sorry for the mistake and did also find that purchased bulbs may have already been subjected to a cold period for the required amount of time. So your assumption that vernalization may have already been done before hand could indeed be correct. .

last year

Thanks. That makes some sense out of the fact that several sites recommended vernalization, and several never even brought it up. Now, I *think* I have softnecks, because I'm down south, but as I said, these were sold as strangely anonymous and with virtually no info. Also, instructions about how to GROW garlic may not bother with worries about bulb size. Next year, I'll make sure to chill them, if just to hope for larger bulbs.

My mother has a stand of garlic in a large bed that self-produces a lot every year, so when I go to visit, I grab a bag of them. Though I think they are elephant garlic which is somewhat inferior, flavor-wise. I've never had to grow them myself. Just doing it out of curiosity this year.

• beesneeds
    last year

I do a couple rounds of mulch. As I harvest garlic, I rake last years mulch that sat on the bed all summer into the garden path to mulch there. I put down a green mulch layer over the bed along with some quick growing stuff till it's time to plant in garlic in the fall. When I pull the quick grow stuff, I leave the green mulch- it's usually pretty well broken down. Usually gets mixed in as I'm raking and smoothing the bed for reset. After I plant in the garlic, I lay down an inch or two of pine straw.

I don't know if it really helps with heaves or not. But it sure does help with weed supression and keeping the bed evenly moist during the summer.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    last year

I've seen zero emergence on my garlic since I planted on Halloween. We've had several lows in the teens since then, but the soil is now thawed. I'm going to mulch with a few inches of shredded leaves today and cover the bed with some hardware cloth to keep the mulch in place and the tree rats out.

I've dug one of my horseradish beds a couple weeks ago and got it processed last weekend. I've got 5 pints of HR in the freezer plus a couple more left from last year. I'm going to leave my other 3'x3' bed until next fall to see what 2 year old roots look like.

• beesneeds
    last year

Was out walking the gardens the other day. All my guys have popped up and got a couple inches of green on them. Looks like most of them are coming up so far.

• wcthomas
    last year

Me too. Mine are 3-6" and I have a 98.5% stand. Looking good!

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    last year

I'll have to take a look at mine. They are usually just starting to grow about now but this has been a mild winter so far. I still need to clean out my asparagus beds before they wake up in 4-6 weeks. Onions starts will go out in about a month too.

last year

I think I made this comment before, but not here. I am pleasantly surprised at how freeze-tolerant garlic is, We had a 5F freeze, in December, and everything got damaged, including onions, whose leaves were mostly killed (though they resprouted). The garlic was unprotected and, while a bit limp after the freeze, recovered completely.

• beesneeds
    10 months ago

It's harvest time! And the harvest is very good this year. Despite the very dry stretch. A lot of hand watering at the crucial fattening time and mulch did the job :)

I dropped a couple of hardnecks this year. They weren't worth keeping for seed stock and taking up that space anymore by comparison to other varieties. Chesnok Red, Penoski Purple, and Dunganski. German Xtra hardy and Georgian Crystal are now at the bottom of the list.

Armenian, Crysilys Purple, Northern White, and Up North did very well, with the northern ones a bit better out of the four. Music and Porcelian did their good and reliable, a very nice size on most of them. Home hardneck was the winner, very good sized, seed stock heads close to tennis ball size.

Out of the softnecks.. well, all of them are good. Jolly did the worst, with heads being average to large grocery store size. Early Italian and home softneck did better, with large to very large culinary heads. Seed stock is tennis ball sized and there are several more heads in the culinary stock I can pull for seed if I really wanted to.

Now that I got the garlic pulled, I need to get the other alliums that I'm growing out for seed tied up and the whole bed tidied up. The sculpit needs to be seed-headed before it drops too much into the garlic area and I now need to do summer planting for early fall harvesting out there.

But for right now, rain is in the forecast. So just a bit of amendmendments to sprinkle in.

• robert567
    10 months ago

Planted a few inspired by this thread. I don't know if I pulled them sooner than needed, but a couple of the Hardy German stems were a little mushy so I just pulled them. Planted rather late.

Top three might be Duganski, should have took a picture at the store to keep track.

Middle three are Chesnok Red. Smallest size.

Lower is Extra Hardy German White

I also planted some California Softneck in late February, they made really nice quality green garlic "scallions" in May. The stems never were hit by extreme cold, so they were like regular scallions except better.

Original Author
    9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

The tops for "Carpati" fell over yesterday, so I dug them. That variety is my "canary", since it is the only one which will signal it is ready to harvest. The bulbs are smaller than usual, which probably does not bode well for the others. With over a month without rain, it has been hard to keep the soil moist. Normally I plant the garlic in a raised bed to keep the roots above Spring flooding; this year that strategy might have been counterproductive. I should be harvesting the rest within a week, will post a photo then.

Original Author
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

The killing freeze arrived only today, more than 3 weeks late. I haven't had the heart to kill the garden when it was still producing, and rain has thus far prevented me from prepping the bed... so it will be VERY late planting this year. It looks like there will be a chance to plant this coming Friday, so I'll begin breaking the bulbs today - the same 8 varieties listed at the beginning of this thread.

I'll be doing something new though. Last Winter, I discovered a way to preserve my garlic until Spring with minimal spoilage - so I decided to experiment with Spring planting. Potato onions perform differently when planted in Spring vs. Fall, so I anticipated that something similar might occur with garlic... and that proved to be the case. The two hard necks tested (one porcelain and one marbled purple stripe) both failed to produce a scape, and grew as soft necks. Of the two, one failed to bulb at all, and essentially became a garlic scallion. The other one fell over like an onion when mature, and grew a single undivided clove (a 'round') that was 1.5-2" wide. - which I find desirable. The problem is that I didn't mark the locations, so I don't know which one formed the bulb. :-( So I'll repeat that experiment again next year, in larger numbers, and with 2 varieties each of the porcelain & marbled purple stripe.

5 months ago

I planted mine ten days ago. California Early. I was *stunned* to see it popping up four or five days later, and right now it's almost a foot tall. At this rate, they're going to be trees by summer.

• kevin9408
    5 months ago

I haven't planted my garlic this year either, (zone 4) and hope to get them in the ground by Friday, hope it's not to late. I had to devote most of my time to an urgent issue out of my control so my gardens wasted away over the last 2 months. Today will be the first time going into the garden since then and what a mess I have.

On the bright side my neighbor's garden did very good after 20 years of self induced constant failures. Every year I told him what he was doing wrong and this year he actually followed my advice with incredible results. I said; "Rick have I ever told you how great your garden looks?" He said; "No." I said; "Well your garden is doing great and everything looks really good!" A few tears rolled out of his eyes and with smiles on both our faces we hugged and with a kiss on his cheek I said; "grasshopper, seek first to know your own journeys beginning and end, and the path can only be traveled with knowledge, discipline and patience. You have won the battle and you're now a master."

Then we started shooting crossbows at a target and telling dad jokes while smoking a few bowls and drinking beer until we couldn't hit the target anymore, then I stumbled home.

• beesneeds
    5 months ago

Got mine planted in about a week or so ago. There weren't many truly glorious days last month, and we took most of them out on the trails. The last very fine day I took the whole day to finish up putting the gardens to bed.

Made a couple new planting jigs for the garlic this year. Made planting a lot quicker :)

• ekgrows
    5 months ago

Zeedman - same. I have planted garlic well into November before, so looks like this year will be the same. All the snow we got yesterday will be gone today, and it supposed to be pushing 60 this weekend - so hopefully I'll get it in then.

Original Author
    5 months ago

As of Saturday, my garlic is planted & mulched; 160 cloves in a 32' X 3' raised bed. This is the first time that I've ever planted in the same place twice, so I added 6 bags each of topsoil and composted manure. There were no disease issues last year & I planted only the healthiest cloves, so I don't anticipate any serious problems.

2023/2024 Garlic.

@ekgrows, this is the 2nd time weather has delayed my garlic planting into November. The first time the ground had frozen a couple inches down, and I used a cordless drill & large auger bit to drill the planting holes. That garlic turned out OK, so I anticipate no issues this time either. The only issue is that after a day working in the chill, I came down with a cold. Guess that's why they call it a 'catching a cold'. :-(

• ekgrows
    5 months ago

I still have not put mine in the ground. Weather in the 60's this past weekend, and the soil temps are still quite high for this time of year. Plus, i had to use the last of the nice days to finish rebuilding my hoophouse. After 18 years, it was due. This weekend I plan on getting it planted - unless all of a sudden we have 70's in the forecast!

• robert567
    5 months ago

Curious what the opinions are about Autumn garlic sprouting above ground. You want it to get rooted before the ground freezes, but how much growth above ground is undesirable? You will still get garlic, but could the appearance or quality be affected if leaves freeze?

zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin thanked robert567
  • ekgrows
    5 months ago

@robert567 - any growth above ground is undesirable. The verdict is still out about how much it actually harms the garlic - as it is very tolerant. Bulb size might suffer a bit. I plant as late as possible - to avoid any topgrowth. 2 weeks before the ground freezes is what I aim for. I used to always use Colombus day as my guide. This year, I'm over a month later.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    5 months ago

I just finished planting my garlic about 15 minutes ago which is also a few weeks late for me. I wanted to wait until I got some aged cow manure mixed into the bed which didn't happen until yesterday.

I only planted 36 cloves in a 4'x4' bed again this year...all German White porcelain. I'm hoping the manure helps the bulb size which has been a little disappointing the last couple years.

I also added manure to the beds I have planned for onions and broccoli next spring.

We are supposed to have highs in the 60s for the next week before it starts cooling off to more normal temps. Chance of rain later today but if that doesn't happen I'll lightly water in the garlic tomorrow.

zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin thanked LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
  • wcthomas
    5 months ago

I was delayed a bit by a cold snap, but got my garlic in on the 8th, about a week later than I usually plant here in the Blue Ridge Mountains of southwestern Virginia.. Planted 180 Russian Red, 135 Music, and 135 Estonian Red. Today I will water again and then spread a dried grass clipping mulch. They are fertilized with organic Harmony 5-4-3 at a rate of 100 lbs elemental N per acre, tilled in right before planting.

I always get top growth through the mulch, in spite of my relatively late planting habits. The plant greens usually stop growing at about 4-6" and will get a bit gnarly with the cold of winter, but always recover by spring with no issues. Last year we hit -5°F one night and still the garlic crop recovered, as it has for decades. My heavy mulch may help the bulbs, but the greens are exposed.

• kevin9408
    5 months ago

I finally did my fall cleanup and laid out my rows for next year. I decided to cut back and only planted 122 German Red and 122 Inchelium Red in a bed following dry beans. I Added 1" of compost on top of the rows, but because the beans are nitrogen fixers they add about a 1/2 gram of nitrogen per sq. foot (40 lbs per acre). I also added about 2 grams of DAP per sq. foot (86 lbs per acre) of phosphorus, and the DAP included the equivalent of 33 lbs per acre of nitrogen.

• kevin9408
    4 months ago

Thanks to all who said it wasn't to late to plant. I dug up a clove today to see if ground was frozen and if there were roots starting to grow. The ground wasn't frozen under the leaf mulch and I had roots! From the weather forecast I should get a couple more weeks of root growth, so thanks again. I really thought I'd need to start all over next year but saved by the best.

zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin thanked kevin9408
  • Mary (CT 6b)
    4 months ago

I was very delayed this year and didn’t plant until 11/26/23. i live in zone 6. i have planted this late in previous years and always had a pretty good harvest. Hopefully everything comes up.

zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin thanked Mary (CT 6b)