SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ethan_swords

Painting walls white - use same white as white on wainscoting?

Ethan Swords
last year

So everyone seems to have very strong opinions on white paint colors, and I want to get the experts' opinions.

Moved into this house a few months ago and am wanting to update the walls from the dated beige color to a nice white. My style is Mid-Century Modern. I'll also be updating the flooring to a light kahki LVP flooring.

Some have told me using a white as bright as the wainscoting paint color could come across as too cold and stark. But others have told me I definitely don't want two different whites on the same wall. (i.e. using pure white on wainscoting and trim and alabaster on the walls). I think I'm leaning towards Sherwin Williams Pure White, and I got the wainscoting white checked at the store today, and he said Pure White is very similar to the white on the wainscoting, except the wainscoting has a slight bit of gold in it. So, should I go with the exact same white, a slightly different white, or a white that defintely looks like two intentionally different whites?

This is my dining room and foyer. I'd really like to save the money and not paint all the wainscoding and trim another white if I can help it.

Living room with the fireplace the same white as the wainscoting in the foyer and dining room.

Another view just for context.

Thank you all SO much for the help. The paint is the first thing I'd like to get done, then will come new countertops and flooring, and hoping to get it all done before the holidays, so fingers crossed I can choose on a paint color this week.

Comments (2)