SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_762892886

Backyard in need of change but unsure of what to do

H R
last year

My backyard is mostly natural grass and weeds. There is a small concrete patio area that is old and cracked in several places but it’s mostly natural ground. It’s a good sized space for a residential neighborhood.

I live in Southern Oregon and the grass gets green most winters but goes brown very quickly in the summer if I don’t water it. We’ve had gophers and moles the last few springs that tear most of the whole yard up and I’ve discovered that if I water the green space in the dry seasons, the rodents continue to thrive. I’ve had success catching them with the Gopher Hawk but it always seems like another just comes in. I also have two dogs that use the green space as their potty area and one in particular that becomes an excavator when there’s a new gopher mound.

Black widows also thrive in this area and seem to love this yard. I try to keep it as tidy as I can in the warm months— constantly knocking down webs— but they hide in the cracks of a cinder block retaining wall and inside a wood slat fence that needs replacing.

I would love to turn this space into something more habitable with as little maintenance as possible. I’ve thought of replacing the grass with new sod but I think I’d just be contributing to this gopher paradise and I also would like something more drought tolerant as the area I live in is suffering immensely.

So my newest idea is….taking all of the natural grass out and replacing most of the yard with concrete and perhaps the remaining areas with decomposed granite (need something for the dogs).

Has anyone done something similar? Any photos, suggestions, feedback are welcome.

I would very likely hire a company to do the bulk of the work. I’ve yet to get anyone out for a quote because I keep flip flopping on ideas. I would love to spend $10k or less and realize that’s a stretch.

If it’s not obvious— first time home owner here. Thanks in advance for you’re help.

The picture is from mid-May a few years ago. The smaller tree is a pear tree and the larger is an apricot tree.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company