RPers in the path of Hurricane Ian
4 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (11)
Related Discussions
So - who of you are in Florida?
Comments (98)“It’s so sad to see all the lower income seniors that have lost everything. It’s not like they have time or means to recoup. It’s just so sad. There are so many and I wonder what is to become of them.” Remember 2004 when we (Florida) were slammed - Charley, Francis, Ivan and Jeanne? FEMA sent a bunch of small trailers to house those displaced. I hope that is an option now for some. I’ve seen where a few air b&bs are donating stays, some long some shorter. I’m still without electricty, the news we see is lacking in information. I did see coverage that included video of a mobile home park. the homes look to be in pretty good shape. The tie downs did their job keeping them put. One would never guess that during the surge the homes had 8’ of water in them. Some of those poor souls had not evacuated, Its all so sad....See MoreRe: Hurricane Ian. After the Storm.
Comments (22)The premise and title of the linked article relate to "evacuation being impossible". I haven't heard of any such reports but do you know, were any of the fatalities people who died while complying in a timely manner with evacuation orders? "Government culpability", to the extent there is any, isn't responsible for weather phenomena. It would be a challenge to name many, if any, states or local governmental entities to hold up as examples of high-level performance and achievement. In the end, the effectiveness of laws and policies depend on the actions of competence of elected officials, to enact needed laws, and the work of governmental employees to carry out their needed functions. Not enough of them are as capable as their jobs require. I think everywhere has examples of government dysfunctionality leaving people without infrastructure and services they expect and need. It's certainly true where I live. At other times, the forces of natural phenomena create problems beyond what may have been expected. (Remember the Loma Prieta Earthquake in 1989? A whole section of the top level of the two decker Bay Bridge broke off at one spot, sending moving vehicles to the deck below and causing a few fatalities as I recall. Nearby, an entire raised freeway collapsed, killing over 40 people. Were these avoidable?) At times like this, it needlessly makes people vulnerable in ways that could have been avoided. It's too bad but it is reality....See MoreFlorida pool design with cage: back walkway or no walkway?
Comments (7)I have seen them like that, specially when they make the pool an infinity edge, but I wouldn't want it for my own pool. Even with a cage I still get stuff floating in the pool, specially these gnats that come out in June/July, can get through the screen and drown themselves in the pool. I was scooping hundreds of them from the surface for a couple of weeks and I was glad to be able to walk around the whole pool. I guess you can use a longer pole, but those get heavier and harder to use as we age. We have 10 ft behind our pool and yes, it is big. Our cage is roughly 60 ft x 40ft. Ian is fresh in our minds and now another one, but plenty of people go decades without any damage to their cages. The base of the cage gets dirt and I wouldn't want the base of the cage and my pool edge to be one and the same....See MoreTell Milton to go away!
Comments (72)Tremendous amount of wind in St. Lucie County and many tornadoes. The tornado warnings were constant from 9 AM until about 5 PM Wednesday - there have never been this many tornado warnings or landings with any hurricane before Milton. Historic. Neighbors had a tree fall on their roof - hubs cut it up and removed it today- thankfully no damage to their roof or eave. We had 6 deaths at a retirement development in Ft. Pierce due to a tornado - the EMT's took an additional 25 to hospitals for injuries. Very sad. Hopefully this is the last of hurricanes for this year. I think the citizens of Florida are storm worn. The west coast got so much damage just 2 weeks after Helene. Hurricane of the Month Club Subscription is cancelled!...See More- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
Related Stories

DISASTER PREP & RECOVERYRemodeling After Water Damage: Tips From a Homeowner Who Did It
Learn the crucial steps and coping mechanisms that can help when flooding strikes your home
Full Story
LANDSCAPE DESIGNWhat to Know About Losing Your Lawn
Learn why you might want to replace your turfgrass, how to do it and and other considerations for losing the lawn
Full Story
GREAT HOME PROJECTSHow to Add a Skylight or Light Tube
New project for a new year: Increase daylight and maybe even your home’s energy efficiency by opening a room to the sky
Full Story
kathy_tOriginal Author