SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

The 2022 Armoire Great Resettlement Project

mtnrdredux_gw
last year
last modified: last year

Now that the girlz are moved I am re-doing their rooms and moving around furniture between our two homes, mostly migrating stuff North. I need to be careful because I don't want our Maine house to start to feel overstuffed .... but I want to pare down in CT.

In any event, I own 3 --- three! --- refugee armoires. Two are antiques I bought from the PO in CT back in 2010 (when the great armoire diaspora first began here in the US). The third is Baker IIRC, and I bought it new in the late 1990s. My Mom used to give small remembrance gifts at holidays, with generous cash gifts. I always chose to buy something I would remember her for rather than banking the cash., and one year I bought this armoire. So you can imagine that one isn't going off to fend for itself on some sorry Craigslist listing.

This is why there is a U-Haul in my yard. We have resettled two of them (the third, which holds my crystal and is a bar, is still needed in CT).

I was really worried these big things would feel too bossy here, but I am very happy with them.

Comments (33)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

This one was in our MBR and must be banished, so say the Real Estate gods. It was suboptimal in our MBR (and here in fact) in that you had a sideways view of it on entering, so I do not disagree. Handy thing about this is that the top portion comes off and you have a regular dresser. I toyed with doing that but I think it works ok in this room because the room has a lot of light, more than enough room, and the bed had a significant visual presence.

I forgot the two old alligator suitcases I had on top. DD actually absconded with them because she wanted to carry them on a trip. She got the "extra" gene.

PS we have the little drawers they are just not it in this pic

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

This one is a bit more of a quirky choice, but I am very happy with it. Our hall bath here in quite large, and has quite high ceilings. It does not have a linen closet. I love the idea of making this old armoire our linen closet.

It had been in a mud room in CT.

You can open the doors and drawers, but all but the first 2 hooks will need to come down on the left. I think I will roll the towels and put them in the top part. It has a back but it might be nice to leave it open? See the wallpaper?

I have a few things I will hang on the opposite wall i this room, to bring in more of the dark-ish wood tones.

(this was in the house from the PO here in Maine)

• Tina Marie
    last year

I love armoires and we have 2 large ones in our home. Armoires are what I use to hide our tvs LOL! We have one in our master and one in the great room. The Mr. retrofitted both of them to hold tvs/dvd players, etc. The one in the great room also has stereo components.

Hmmm, since the back is open, I might leave the door closed. Plus I like the tassel! Too funny, but both of ours have a tassel on the door key. Great minds think alike I guess!

(Love both window treatments btw!)

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Tina Marie
  • Jilly
    last year

Mtn, those are beautiful.

I’m a big armoire fan (the side of mine is what you see upon entering my bedroom, too), and especially like them in bathrooms.

I think Allison has one in her bathroom, I hope she’ll post it. ALLISON.

:D

Freestanding cabinets in bathrooms are just the coolest. Not armoires, but same feel and function:

I’ve had these saved in inspo folders a while, just sharing for fun.

Yours looks wonderful in there!

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Jilly
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

Tina, I will def leave the doors closed. The one in the BA has a back, but I think I like it better backless?

The one in the BA was for a TV too ... you can even see where they made a slot for a VCR! We only have one TV in each house. The one inMaine is in a low cabinet on a lift. The one in CT is out on a very large console. With flat screens, I don't feel they need to be hidden anymore. In fact I think the advent of flatscreens is the cause of the Great Armoire Glut. Every midscale and luxury hotel bought them by the hundreds to hide those old, bulging TVs.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

Jinx, love those BA pics! I am waiting for the first person to say something about wood in a bathroom but you may have cut them off at the pass!

• Tina Marie
    last year

Lol! I dont like to see the big, black hole so yes, our flatscreens are hidden! Sorry, i thought you were asking if you should leave doors open to show towels.

I love furniture repurposed, especially antiques. we have a gentlemen”s chest as a vanity in a guest bath and a piano stool holding towels!

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Tina Marie
  • jojoco
    last year

I adore a freestanding armoire. We have two in philly and an old one in my bathroom in CT. If (when) we renovate our CT bath, the armoire will be part of the plans. (Wish I had a pic to show you all. It's probably more of a chifferobe than armoire, but I love it.)

Your's both look beautiful!

mtnrdredux_gw thanked jojoco
  • DLM2000-GW
    last year

Honestly I think armoires and tall cabinets of all kinds are SO useful. There was a fleeting moment where it seemed they had outlived their purpose when flat screens came along but it didn't stick. Those will both be eminently useful and look great.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked DLM2000-GW
  • gigitn
    last year

I love the look of a wooden piece in a bathroom. None of our bathrooms are large enough to do so in our new condo, but I think it's a charming look.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked gigitn
  • Funkyart
    last year

I loooooove armoires but they just don't fit well into my current house. My parents had a few and the one loved by all is now in my sister's house. Honestly it is too big for her house also.. but they are building a new home and I am certain that they will create a space for it-- even with downsizing.

I love them both and they seem perfect for their new locations. Beautiful!

As I remember, @sueb has an armoire or large chest in one of her bathrooms (I remember it because it is gorgeous and fun!)

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Funkyart
  • Jilly
    last year

Allison, thank you!

*Swoon* Love it, just beautiful. I’m with you — the real color looks so much better than the RE photo. They do that here, too … whitewash photos into oblivion. It’s making me miss 1970’s sepia photos. :D

I see the bed and screen! Was hoping you’d kept them. :) The wood floors are gorgeous.

Where is Sheep?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

love it Allison!

• nicole___
    last year

Mtn...Those armoires are BEAUTIFUL! And NOT painted! Nice!

Love ALL the other armoires posted too! I would own a dozen if I could find a place for them!

Wow Allison....those are above and beyond gorgeous!

• Allison0704
    last year

Thanks, everyone. @Jilly the sheep is in the bunk room aka DGS's room. It is one of the few rooms I've shared. I wasn't going anywhere the screen couldn't go. The room was big and deep enough where the bed coming off the wall did not hurt. The floors are handscraped walnut. They look splotchy in photos, but much better in person. I cannot tell you how many houses I passed up online because of similar floors. This house and location is perfect for us, but still.

• Arapaho-Rd
    last year

I love armoires, have one I bought years ago on my own. Mtn, Allison yours are so pretty! The wood- there is nothing to me that warms a room like beautiful, rich tones of wood. Love the bath ideas, Jinx. Wood tones in any room work for me!

• teeda
    last year

Love those armoires and the rooms they are in. I think they’re perfect for your home’s era. I visualize visitors getting off the train with their trunks, ready for a holiday at the seaside, then unpacking their things into the armoires.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

Love that romantic narrative Teeda!

• 1929Spanish-GW
    last year

I love all the cabinets. Still struggling to get myself comfortable with replacing the cabinet in the dining room with something more French Art Deco, but that fits in my dine…..budget. I wish I had a second house to move all my still-wanted furniture!

• OutsidePlaying
    last year

I’d say the great armoire resettlement project was a success. I really love their new homes.

Jinx, those are wonderful examples of use in a bathroom. Now I want one. And of course, Allison, yours is so gorgeous. I cannot imagine why anyone would want to make the finish look lighter. More of a farmhouse look, maybe?

• Tina Marie
    last year

@Jilly I would love to find a cabinet like that second one you shared!! Not sure we can fit a cabinet in our master bath as we had a large closet built in the room. The one wall where a cabinet would fit, the closet doors might interfere. Hmmmm, i'm going to ponder the situation. Ha! The Mr. will be so happy to hear this. hehe

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    last year

Those are gorgeous pieces and so beautifully located.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    last year

Oh, Allison, stunning!

• Sueb20
    last year

I love all these armoires. I don’t have one, but I do have a vintage pine china cabinet/hutch in the first floor bath of our beach house. It’s a ridiculously large bathroom (includes laundry) with zero storage except for the vanity. We found the cabinet and thought it would be great for a beach house but where…what room…the bathroom, of course! It’s large, prob 4’w and 6’ tall. The top glass-doored cabinets hold towels. It’s very handy. No pics, sorry.

Allison, that piece is amazing!

• Allison0704
    last year

Thanks, everyone. I was a bit surprised they were leaving it. They had the mirror (door) on the list to take, but left. I would not have agreed to that in the beginning if I had known. The previous owner had a shop in Destin that sold antiques. They took all the vintage accessories that were in the hosue when we saw, and we couldn't even walk into the garage for all the boxes on the floor. Hardly anything was stacked. She had taken almost all of their vintage light fixtures down, which was fine w/ me since I had my own. :D Left a beautiful one in the powder room.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

Wonderful luck that the mirror fit the armoire and that they left it! I can't decide which way I prefer it; both look super.

I am trying to find baskets for the odd cavities in the one I put in the bathroom, but so far nothing is low enough. I only have 4".

• Allison0704
    last year

Maybe kitchen/dining sections. Something that would hold flatware.

If no door, I would have gotten wicker baskets and DH wouldn't be able to find a thing. He is not as neat and organized as I am.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Allison0704
  • Kswl
    last year

Love that mirrored door armoire, Allison. The shape is gorgeous and it’s just the right depth. All the armoires pictured here are both practical and pretty. I certainly don’t mind seeing the side of a beautiful piece of furniture when entering a room. Is that some new thing for RE agents to dictate? I guess if you have to move them anyway it’s a case of sooner rather than later. Still I wonder about all the tyrannical ”must do’s,” especially with respect to a unique and beautifully decorated house like Mtn’s.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you KSWL for your kinds words. I greatly admire your style so I am tickled by the compliment.

I certainly don’t mind seeing the side of a beautiful piece of furniture when entering a room. Is that some new thing for RE agents to dictate?

No, that is just my own pet peeve. Suboptimal furniture placement, IME, is part of repurposing; I would not have bought that piece for that spot (I bought it for another MBR), but having already owned it, it was the best option.

Two years ago I brought in a staging person, not because I was planning to sell then, but because I planned to sell within a few years and I wanted to get the benefit of any insights and suggestions for us to enjoy first. And that has happened; little things like adding a rug in our (greenhouse style, slate-floored) DR. Though she did suggest removing the MBR armoire to make the room lighter, she never said anything about its placement.

I will definitely override some of the "must do's" but some I agree with.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

Back home in CT for a few days. I used to see the side of an armoire when i entered my MBR. With it no longer on the wall to my left, now I see straight through to the views out the window. I like it much better.

• Allison0704
    last year

Agree the window view is better.

• always1stepbehind
    last year

I have a pine tv cabinet/armoire I ordered from Jeromes when I was on "maternity" leave with my son...SON TURNS 23 ON SATURDAY and I still like it and use it. Originally we did use it for the TV but now we use it to store water, papertowels, toilet paper etc.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!