SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
dieseler

Ischia Black UCD

dieseler
4 months ago
last modified: 4 months ago

Ischia Black in 2nd growing season starting to ripen a few figs .

This season the spring was not cooperating and plants started few weeks behind .

Anyways they are starting to ripen with hope they do not split like some others have in yard due the heavy rains for several days which brought 3-5 inches of rain .

Martin

Comments (14)

• bluemoonlight
    4 months ago

That looks pretty close but not close enough.

Still looks good !

I picked a few today, here are pictures of some of them

Even with cavity inside it was heavy, tasty sweet, skin easy soft and sweetert hen pulp, good seed crunch, juice, I prefer jammy figs but it's nice change.

I bought this one as Lattarola not Lattarula!

I am not sure it's TRUE to type, not much to write about, maybe after few seasons.

Some from few days befor 😋

Anna

• dieseler
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Nice your getting the ripe figs to enjoy and many thanks for taking the time to take pictures and post them here.

Your purple Jordan's leaf looks similar to the Ischia Black minus the thickness of leaf on Ischia from what it looks like in your picture.

Martin

• dieseler
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Had a pretty small ischia fig today and my first impression was of our hardy chicago but better with a little more something to it including a nice seed crunch.

Sorry no picture as i just picked it off and stuffed the whole fig in mouth.

Martin

• bluemoonlight
    4 months ago

I love it in September to walk in yard and pick up a fig or two as I am doing things. I have a few dark figs that are so similar in taste to Hardy Chicago when they shrivel a little and they get dark like this

Black Mission fig, I kind of thought they should be larger, 82 grams both, tasted sweet and acidy but, last 2 weeksn nights are cooler.

I hope it's true to type 🤔 but as long as it tastes good.

I love it kind of sticky jam very berry 😋 I see lots of YouTube videos that people just bite in to a fig, I like to either

split or cut fig in half, right away smell it's pulp and then place it on tongue pulp side down, it really tastes a little better, my experience any way. Most of the dark figs have scent that of mulberry, but I think I mentioned that befor.

Anna

• dieseler
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Anna thanks for posting the fig pictures it never ever gets old to see ripe figs.

Our hardy chicago has the mulberry profile and reason its so enjoyable for our daughter when she visits and this season gave her spare plant several years old.

The Mrs does not eat the figs nor our son go figure !

So now a days its just me to eat them or share them thus reason for severe cutback of them and being picky on ones to keep.

Had to put them in garage last night as last night and for next 4 to 5 days nightly temperatures will be in the 40s.

.Sun 25

67°/50°

Partly Cloudy

21%

WNW 17 mph

Mon 26

64°/47°

Mostly Sunny

2%

NW 17 mph

Tue 27

60°/42°

Mostly Sunny

3%

NW 13 mph

Wed 28

60°/41°

Mostly Sunny

4%

N 8 mph

Thu 29

63°/42°

Mostly Sunny

6%

E 7 mph

Fri 30

67°/44°

Mostly Sunny

4%

E 7 mph

Sat 01

70°/4

Its to bad as Madeira , tuscan and cravens have figs in the ripening stage but now will take longer to ripen will post pictures as they do.

Best

Martin

• dieseler
    Original Author
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

Had 1 ischia today it was a pleasure to eat and the skin was nice and soft the seed crunch was a nice as well.

I put on scale as i was making bread today and it was 28grams.

The plant put on decent amount of figs for its size but picked of many as they came on late

Best

Martin

• Michael Rivera
    4 months ago

Just awesome!!

For some reason NONE of my figs were sweet this year. They were either watered down, not much flavor, of too ripened and yet not sweet. I think it was the drought and having to water them almost every day. Ugh

• Bluemoonlight
    4 months ago

Michael Reveta, are you new to growing figs ?

• Bluemoonlight
    4 months ago

Martin, Black Ichea, yes it does look like you woulda enjoyed it.

You seam to grow just the best of best fig variety.

Yes why all get picky after growing figs for few years.

I am still waiting for Boss favorite, might be a while, but lotso f figs str ripening.

Nice day to you Martin

• dieseler
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Anna some may disagree about best of best. ; )

Palate likes not overly sweet figs but ones that have a berry type profile hence madeira, preto, vdb and so forth, Other's that never tasted and supposed to have that profile were acquired to see if they are in that category

Tried many different figs reading on forums this and that when folks describe what they tasted .

In reality at least on personal palate lot of figs did not have a big enough difference hence started to cull plants year after year no matter how popular or name of plant.

I guess some like sweet figs so they seek out the sweetest for palate some like berry type tasting figs so one may seek out the most berry type fig they can find.

Bass fig is supposed to be very good from readings so hopefully you will enjoy it !

Best

Martin

• Bluemoonlight
    4 months ago

Yes, I agree with you on the subject best of best 🙂

I only chose Bass favorite because it was a trade, and ofcourse wanted to know what the noise was about🤔

Most of the time that's the reason. I am sure you remember Tom from New England, after watching his video of BlackMadeira I decided I must have one. Same with the Ben B from Seattle, Ponte Tresa and De La Gloria I could not resist not to try to grow those two, Still haven't ripe Ponte Tresa and I suspect it's not true to type in 🤔

But for sure there are lots of hoped up fig varieties.

I do like most of my figs, but I to prefer the berry once, like Chicago Hardy, even ItalianHoney if they are well ripe they are fantastic to me, my husband prefers fig like Atreano, Celeste, Italian Honey, but he likes them before they are well ripe, before these pass the shriveling stage, wen they are still plump.

I like them all and I like it that I can taste them at different stages of ripening.

Regards

Anna

• dieseler
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Hi Anna yes i remember Tom.

Sounds like your husband like firm figs perhaps sweet ones from what you mention.

Just now had last 2 figs from ischia black plant and they were a joy to consume.

The skin was soft and the figs had nice seed crunch

I did not forget to take a picture of interior unlike the tuscan fig just eaten before ischia..

Best

Martin

• dieseler
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Here is spare that was made from a branch that sprouted from main that was bent and hooked into potting mix and eventually was cut potted and grew its very small but looks great.

Now later that side branch kept growing .

Spare that was made

Side branch that created spare

UcD Ischia Black

Best

Martin