SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kerry_roper17

Why is the kitchen so separated?

Kerry Roper
last year
last modified: last year

My boyfriend bought a house in Methuen, MA that we are both in love with. Its a side gabled bungalow, with a large front gabled dormer above the front porch. The issue I bring to you is what can be done to help make this our dream home. The kitchen seems to have once been in one room at the back of the house, but at some point a kitchen sink, stove top and wall oven were squashed into what I THINK used to be either a porch or a pantry along the back of the house- on the opposite side. The house layout is not typical as I have found few 1920s bungalow floor plans showing the central support wall in same place as this house. The wall runs from the front to the back of the house starting on the left of the front entry. This creates two halves, the left side is a long living or living room slash dining room, and the right side has what is a possible dining room in the front of the house, a stairwell going from the right side of the building up to the left and onto the second level, beyond the stairwell (they also go to the basement), is what I believe used to be the kitchen. This room has the fridge in it, and a built-in cabinet over a radiator. There is also a back entrance to the driveway on the back corner of the old kitchen, then there is a toilet in a closet to the left of the back door, followed by an entrance to the "new" galley.

As you can see, the pic could not get everything into the frame, behind the person taking it is a wall oven, and opening the door to the wall oven impedes you from standing in front of the stove top.

There is an opening on the right diag across from the sink where it goes into the room with the fridge, or "old kitchen" seen here:

also on the direct right of the photographer is a door (unseen in pic) leading to the large front to back family or dining slash family room. I say DINING slash because that room has a built in buffet with windows that can be seen here: If this isnt actually a buffet, anyone with more info is welcome to opine here. Its bumped out on the exterior of the house, if that helps with id'ing it.

I want to make every sq foot count, which is the hallmark of a craftsman home, right? But man, I have to leave the "kitchen" in order to change my mind hahah, should I consider bumping out, or moving the kitchen back to the old kitchen? We are moving from Hyde Park and got the house for a great deal, we can make decisions based on needs and wants, and being in our 50s, we are likely going to be here for the duration. Is there a need for adding on or should we use the space we have? I was thinking using the galley as a windowed breakfast nook somehow? Also to be considered is that the basement is full height walk out, and we would like to keep it usable that way, can you put an addition or bump over a walkout using supports, can plumbing and hvac extend into that kind of addition typically? Depends on zoning and the town I assume and an endless budget or is it not mech possible?

Any ideas? I would love to expand the toilet closet into a real live half bathroom, and maybe use the construction access to move the laundry out of the basement, even though there is a handy laundry chute still usable. HAHA,

Comments (24)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm