SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theresa_riggs3

Pendant Lighting

I need help with my kitchen pendant lighting over my island. I originally bought glass pendants that are 12 inches in diameter to fit in the 102 inch area. (Pictured below on left) I never felt that they work well with the Varaluz chandelier that’s in the same room. I bought two small, 8” Varaluz pendants but quickly realized they were too small for the space. Should I buy another pendant or do you think it might be too matchy-matchy with the chandelier. What else might work in this space. Thank you so much in advance!
Theresa Riggs.

Comments (117)

• theresa_riggs3
    Original Author
    last year

Everdebz, I need help everywhere. Lol. I will post some pictures tomorrow. I have an open floor plan where the living/family room is on the other side of the kitchen/dining area. I’m in desperate need of help there too. I bought a live-edge coffee table that’s very big and I need end tables that will look good with it. I don’t know what my style is, I just buy what I like, but I need to be a little more careful when picking out these things. Thank you so much!

• theresa_riggs3
    Original Author
    last year

Home Interiors with Ease. I love that rug! Wow! I think it would look great. You posted a picture of Varaluz cylinder light for my kitchen and I’ve been working with Varaluz to order them on Monday. (The one pictured below). Do you think the black ones that you picked out will look better?
    I’m not sure about the white chairs. Maybe I need to take pictures of the rest of the room like everdebz suggested so you can get a better idea of what the entire space looks like. I’ll do that in the morning. Thank you very much.

• Related Discussions

Help with Island Pendant Lighting - PB Flynn Oversized Pendants

Q

Comments (87)
    Hello everyone!! I NEED HELP!!! I purchased 2 Duke Oversized Pendants (16 inch overall diameter) in 2020 on Pottery Barn site. They make my whole kitchen!! The glass on one of them broke and Pottery Barn site says No Longer available! Ive been in tears for weeks!!! Can anyone tell me where I can find one of these?? My email is ginamt2@yahoo.com. Thank you for any help you can give! Ive attached a pic of the pendant and one of my kitchen so you can see the beautiful lights above my island!
    ...See More

Lighting over two islands? Pendant lighting or linear lighting?

Q

Comments (17)
    I love your countertop slabs, they are stunning. Based on all the criticism I looked at your layout and I see a lot of positives. You have a sink for cleanup near the dishwasher drawers and stove, and a second sink for prep work. That sink is not far from the fridge, so you can grab an armload of produce and get right to work ... and as you work the kids who just want a drink or snack from the fridge can get it without coming into the work L. This isn't a studio apartment, it is meant to work for a large family and so yeah, you may need to take 2-3 more steps to get around but that is somewhat unavoidable. For lights ... maybe something like this if you want something bold that isn't adding a lot of color: Huddardton Forge Erlenmeyer Flask Pendant Just a thought. Congrats on the new house. Don't worry about the people here who enjoy shooting arrows of doubt and dismay without offering to help identify ways to improve things. Some people naturally look for flaws and love to point them out (instead of asking why something was designed this way vs that way). It can't be a fun way to live life.
    ...See More

What pendant lights goes with our dining area lighting?

Q

Comments (2)
    I don’t think the fixtures above your island have to match exactly with the pendant over your table. BUT, I don’t think the 2 options you’ve chosen work together.
    ...See More

Celeste 4-light pendant light

Q

Comments (4)
    There are several lights called Celeste 4-light pendant light, so not sure if you are talking about the Eurofase , Generation lighting, or the one from overstock, which has chain.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

Theresa…love both pendants….my personal choice is the black one…it sounds like you are very eclectic in style..live edge table in living room…with open floor plan you can really bring in a pop of color in pillows and art…white easy are chairs wood or plastic sound like the perfect solution with your cats…it would give that eclectic style I do believe is yours…please post the other spaces so I can help with the overall flow..cohesive look.

• enajasereht
    last year

Are the plantation shutters staying? Would shades work better? Either material ones to add color or textured ones? Seems these may be blocking much of your natural light and view.

• PRO
    lisedv
    last year
    last modified: last year

Very nice kitchen. The all glass looks lost in the space and I wouldn't install the same model as the chandelier to leave all the punch to your chandelier. Perhaps something like the simple style of the ones below with milky glass and black frames would do the trick (personally I just don't like the glare of uncovered bulbs).

• theresa_riggs3
    Original Author
    last year

Home Interiors with ease. I love that rug! Wow! I think it would look great. You posted a picture of the cylinder lights that match my dining room chandelier and I’ve been working with Jorge at Varaluz to order them on Monday. (Recap) I ordered the cylinder lights that Home Interiors at Ease suggested because they are from the same collection as my dinning room light. I ordered the Flow241M01HO 1-light mini pendant instead of the Flow Matt black/French Gold one because the base is larger and I didn’t want to put 4 up in that area. I’m leaving the plantation shutter and won’t be painting them. They were just installed last year throughout my house. I had to use shutters because my cats would be hanging from the drapes and that wouldn’t be great. Here are pictures of the entire room. As you see, I have no pictures up because I’m planning on either painting pictures for the walls or having my husband take pictures of the cactuses in our area and having those pictures blown up big to hang on the walls. We have a lot of wall space. I want to buy two end tables and I think putting in more live-edge furniture wouldn’t look right, but I really don’t know. Any ideas for end tables? Thank you so much in advance!

• theresa_riggs3
    Original Author
    last year

I almost forgot, I’m looking for a new rug to go under the table because it’s getting old and it needs to go. Any suggestions?

• theresa_riggs3
    Original Author
    last year

That’s a rug for the coffee table.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

Hi Theresa..thanks for the photos it will help so much..let me do some shopping and see what I would add...I do think a neutral and black modern or boho style rug would look amazing under the coffee table..if adding large art of cactus..you may want to consider adding green instead of  teal..same concept but with dark green and black such a great combo.i will show you some ideaboards to try getting you going..I think you need to bring in some black metal end tables.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

Don’t angle tat TV cabinet..flush against that wall is best…move that recliner so you can pull the other sofa in closer for viewing TV….how far do your sofas recline into room when in use?

• enajasereht
    last year

It's a really pretty house! Would love to see your art. Your cat on your easel cracks me up. I understand the shutters now.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

Theresa you have a lot of recliners? Can the recliner chair be moved out? Seems redundant 🤷🏼‍♀️ love the live edge table..working on idea-board now….

• theresa_riggs3
    Original Author
    last year

Home Interiors with Ease, that’s my husband’s recliner so it has to stay. Remember Martin Crane’s recliner from the show Frazier? That’s what his old one looked like. It now lives in his office downstairs and this one is the replacement, so the new one can’t leave. Both couches have recliners too. I actually picked them up at Costco. I used to buy expensive ones but we need to replace them so often, it’s not worth it. The sofas don’t recline very far, 20” into the room.
    I don’t think I’ll be able to convince my husband to move the TV against the wall because it will be harder for him to view it. I’m not sure how else we could rearrange the furniture. Any ideas? Thanks so much for all of your help.
    Also, I have a question about the pendant lights. We are taking the two down and now they’ll be three. (2, 10” pendants vs 3, 6” pendants). The space is 104” from end to end. Would it look okay to just put a third pendant in between the other two as they’re so much smaller? The middle pendant will be directly over the gas range. It’s going to be a big deal to move the junction boxes to make them equal all the way across.

• PRO
    lisedv
    last year

Everything looks pretty well finished at this point and adding a junction box would require work (opening the ceiling, wiring, plastering, painting etc.) Before doing that, I would look into finding simply 2 larger pendants (12 to 18 inches) that fits the style of your chandelier.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last year

The veraluz pendants look great and bring cohesion I would do the match,

• everdebz
    last year

Consider a pendant that has 2 bulbs? or just a brighter one LED?

The matching ones [expensive too?] aren't on main stage like the dining area is. Does pendant area seem 'small' in comparison to the tall pillar beside it, architecture, and all the rest?

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

What does it measure between the two junction boxes you have?

• theresa_riggs3
    Original Author
    last year

Home Interiors with Ease, The measurement between the two junction boxes is 41 inches.
    Lisedv, I already purchased three Varaluz pendants that are six inches wide. They arrive tomorrow. They’re in the same collection as the dining room chandelier.
    Everdebz, I put a description above of the pendants I ordered. They’re the cylinder ones from the same collection. I hope that helps.

• theresa_riggs3
    Original Author
    last year

This is the pendant of 3 that I purchased.

• theresa_riggs3
    Original Author
    last year

Sorry such a big picture. They’re 6” wide

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

Theresa yes put a box between the two existing junction boxes it will look great…

• PRO
  • theresa_riggs3
    Original Author
    last year

Super! I think you’re right and it will make my husband happy as it’s so much less work.
    I pulled one of the lights out of the box today and I noticed it’s quite a bit lighter than the chandelier. I hope that’s okay. Thanks for making such a great visual! You’ve been such a great help!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

Oh darn thought you ordered this one with the darker finish🤷🏼‍♀️

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last year

Well, my issue with the pendants is the material on a whole all that webbing will pick up steam, and grim regardless of how good you vent system is. Also I think they do need to flow with the Varaluz, they also need to flow with the kitchen space. I personally would not add a 3rd to this, I would go a bit larger and only do two. Or I would convert them into two recessed lights.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

Glass pendants would be even worse over cooktop…do you have glass now do they get full of grim?

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last year

It a point of view. we all have them. Three small canister shaped pendants IMO just not giving the vibe, they dont coordinate with the kitchen or the chandelier. its a traditional house with a baby grand next to the eat at bar, plantain shutters, live edge large coffee table. huge ceilings it can take the weight of something more stunning.

• theresa_riggs3
    Original Author
    last year

Home Interior with Ease, yes the glass ones I have now get very dirty. It’s a constant cleaning issue. I am hoping the cylinder ones won’t show oil splatters from the cooktop. As you know , I already purchased them. I think I’m stuck now, but they’re better than the farmhouse glass lights.
    The reason I didn’t purchase the dark cylinder ones is because the diameter seemed small. (4” vs 6”) Maybe I can still return the new ones and ask Varaluz to exchange them. Idk?

• theresa_riggs3
    Original Author
    last year

Both of you make sense. Now I really wish I would have ordered the dark one. I’ll call them in the morning and see what they can do for me. Thank you!

• everdebz
    last year

Tailored look is what I might call the drum shades with black wire frames. A 'no'. The smoke glass ones seem ok to add just a little contrast and interest...?

• everdebz
    last year

You like teal? well this was a random nice rug, that could provide a base for wood table, and in some color you like. Furniture's neutrals are enough? and possibly a rug would help alot.

Traditional Vintage Bridget Diamond Medallion Rug, Purple, 8'x10' · More Info

• everdebz
    last year

The reviews show that it's not cheap looking... anyway, this idea is for garden art modernized... alot of look... ;)

Nourison Fantasy 8' x 10'6" Black Contemporary Indoor Area Rug · More Info

Nourison Fantasy 8' x 10'6" Sunset Contemporary Indoor Area Rug · More Info

• theresa_riggs3
    Original Author
    last year

everdebz, I love the pictures. Maybe something along that line. I definitely need dark rugs. I’m hoping to exchange the three Varaluz pendants that I purchased for black cylinder Varaluz pendants that Home Interiors with Ease suggested.(black cylinder with ore) it’s pictured above in her post. I’ll see if I can post a picture of it if you can’t find it. My camera is not working well on this site. Thank you!

• theresa_riggs3
    Original Author
    last year

Everdebz, this one, suggested by Home Interiors with Ease. I think it looks great with the chandelier. I just hope they allow returns.

• theresa_riggs3
    Original Author
    last year

Sorry the picture is so big!

• everdebz
    last year

Good, I hope it works well....

and while we're waiting for them ;)

why do you want dark rug?

• enajasereht
    last year

You're really not returning. You're exchanging. Either way, a good company should allow both.

• Rachel
    last year

I like the pendants recommended by @Home Interiors with Ease so much with your chandelier. I think it's so important in your space to have the same finish.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

I love that pendant and it will look beautiful with three over range area..

• theresa_riggs3
    Original Author
    last year

RL Relocation,
    My husband agrees with you that we need two large lights instead of three small ones, but I think I’ll just stay with the darker, 3 light pendants that Home Interiors with Ease picked out. Both ideas are great! I think we will drive up to Varaluz facility in Los Vegas to exchange these lights. It’s a 5 hour drive from Prescott AZ, but I’m very curious to see where they make these beautiful lights.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last year

@theresa_riggs3 If you are going to go up to their showroom, do yourself a favor and show them a picture of the space, they might have some new idea for you. I do think you will regret going with three, but if you love it I love it lol.

• everdebz
    last year

Like the Beatles? then if you can see Cirque du Soleil. I loved it.

• theresa_riggs3
    Original Author
    last year

Very cool everdebz! We love the Beatles!

• theresa_riggs3
    Original Author
    last year

RL, I think that’s a great idea. If we go, maybe we can bring the dimensions and see what they suggest.
    I just heard back from Varaluz and they will gladly take them back. He did tell me there is quite a bit of gold in the black cylinder ones. Home Interiors with Ease, what do you think?

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

Can you post a up close photo of your chandelier..I am thinking it is black mesh with gold beads?

• theresa_riggs3
    Original Author
    last year

Home Interior with Ease, I will be happy to post a close up in the morning when I have good light. They call it hammered ore finish.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last year

I remember when that fixture came into there line, heck I remember when they became a brand lol. That fixture is very unique, I hope you get a chance to check out there showroom and take some pictures, they are known to be a sustainable company, they use a lot of recycled materials.

• theresa_riggs3
    Original Author
    last year

Home Interiors with Ease, sorry it took me so long to send a picture. I wasn’t feel well yesterday. Here is a close up with the chandelier on and off. Thank you.

• theresa_riggs3
    Original Author
    last year

RC, I hope we get a chance to see it too. Their fixtures are so unique and beautifully done.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

Ok thanks it is really beautiful touch of gold inside I think the pendants are going to be beautiful! Can’t wait to hear about your visit to the show room.