SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_66466363

SEPTEMBER 2022-Building a Home

Blair Courtney
26 days ago
last modified: 26 days ago

Welcome to the community of folks inn the process of bulding a new home. Whether you are in the planning, building, or just plain dreaming about it stages, this is the place for you. We are a kindly group who share our successess, concerns,woes, & joys with one another to offer support& advice as we can. All Are Welcome- Glad you are here!

Comments (662)

• chispa
    yesterday

Ian is heading our way 😱 ... positive thoughts that I don't end up back on these threads!

Putting away anything outside. My older small dog has diarrhea, so trying to deal with that too. Luckily she is small so is confined to a tiled storage closet with pee-pads, but definitely not good timing! Waiting on vet to send a prescription to help her out.

• Emily
    yesterday

@chispa, Hope all will be well with Hurricane Ian. We're to get his remnants over the weekend here in NC and could really use the rain, but I hope he won't hammer you too hard. Hope your little doggo is okay too. 🐾🐾 💗

@Joy M, Your shower is about the same size/shape as ours, and I sure wish we'd had them put in a large niche like you have. We just have a little one, and DH complains about it all the time. Looks great!

We just got back from the stone place nearby, where we ordered pavers for all the walkways we will be installing ourselves. We were hoping to have the same stone place deliver sand and crusher run gravel, but they said we'd have to call the quarry for the latter, as they don't deliver large quantities like we'll need. We have our fall work cut out for us! 😳

• Related Discussions

September 2019 - How is Your Home Build Going?

Q

Comments (263)
    NYCish I somehow missed your post! Your kitchen is so pretty and that island is big! Are you getting excited while waiting a slow death? lol I am trying ti imagine your nuclear system but that kinda stuff befuddles me. The iron work will complete everything outside. Looking really good! Buzz chipping your tooth now? be careful up there girl, that wind will blow you away! Junk looks like it is going up fast! Kathy so happy things are getting done now. Getting so exciting for you I bet. I started the October Build Thread- https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5797658/october-2019-build-a-new-home
    ...See More

February 2022 Building a Home

Q

Comments (519)
    @jkent9024 very cool shot. Our builder and my dh took shots of every wall in the framing phase to know where lines are etc. . They've just about finished with our exterior painting. Still have another coat to do on the trim and they are currently sanding and restaining our screened porch ceiling because somehow it didn't end up the color we had requested. @chispa Our pool contractor is on the ball and on schedule, and our pool has been filled. for almost a week. We should have been moving in in 30 days. Unfortunately the house now has 3 months to go. The first two weeks our pool contractor does a start up program but after that, we'll be taking care of a pool we can't use. There's always somebody working at the house each day, but nothing exciting happening. Some trim on the main level and as mentioned the exterior painting/staining finishing up. Painting inside should commence soon. Currenlty I'm focusing on our current home, getting it ready to list for sale on the 15th of this month. So much to do, so I haven't been online as much, but everybody's homes are looking great.
    ...See More

May 2022 Building a Home

Q

Comments (631)
    Such threads are a must. It helps me because I find many great things and advice, so I don't make mistakes while building my house. It is costly to build a house, but luckily I sold my old one, and I wasn't struggling with finding money and was concentrated on the planned building process. I thought I would be struggling with selling my old house, but I found a method to sell my house fast in Baltimore. I immediately got the money, and I was able to start building my new one and finish the building as soon as possible.
    ...See More

June 2022, Building a Home!

Q

Comments (749)
    @Naomi Not sure if this helps you...This is in our current kitchen. It's a 36" wide overmount acrylic single basin sink with a faucet and a reverse osmosis faucet. We need the RO faucet to have filtered water for our GE opal ice maker...which is now a non-negotiable appliance in our house lol. (There is a very long story attached to this, but...we have 2 extra sinks exactly like this. One of them is going in our new laundry room!)
    ...See More
  • Joy M
    yesterday

@chispa I was in my closet in Cape Coral when Hurricane Charley hit Punta Gorda; I understand what you are going through. Praying for you and all in the path.

• Joy M
    yesterday

@Emily lots of back and forth about the niche clearance for all of our products, fingers crossed they all fit! Sounds like you'll have a big project on your hands with pavers, but it will definitely be worth all of the hard work! Be sure to share pictures.

• chispa
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

@Joy M, our family friends were in that area too when Charlie hit ... they were in the interior bathroom. My parents used to live there too, but happened to be visiting me in the Boston area, so they stayed with us till things got cleaned up and power restored. Our friends had no power for over a week. Luckily very minor damage to their houses.

• Naomi
    yesterday

Celebrate the little things now…..shower door got installed!

Appliances as well, but PM didn’t send pics.

I am also happy with my PM as he is also annoyed at how the metal roof guys cut stuff and is having his cornice guys fix things up and is going to have a dented board & batten replaced.

• Naomi
    yesterday

OMG. Just noticed that the shower door opens the wrong way 🤦‍♀️

• Naomi
    yesterday

I could put towel hooks on the wall by the closet door, but was going to put a small stool there and reaching around wall sucks. Ugh ugh ugh.

• Naomi
    yesterday

This is what I sent him….a miscommunication? Thinking that is from the view inside shower? Ugh ugh ugh

• Blair Courtney
    Original Author
    yesterday

Finally have lights outside!!!!! I couldn’t get a good picture, as the house is on a small hill, & I was taking it from the bottom, but hopefully you get the drift. Then the carriage lights…. hood insert supposedly going in on Wednesday, butcher block tops & shelves in the wine area & pantry on Thursday & the tile guys are back to do the waincoting surrounding the tub & the kitchen backsplash!!!!! Sooo exciting!!

On a serious note, @chispa stay safe…. My family was on Long Island during Sandy & it changed our south shore town. Hoping for the best…..

• theotherjaye
    yesterday

@NaomiCan it not swing both ways on a curbless shower? Or is the issue that the hinges are on the wrong side?

@nhb22 Your entryway, porch and plantings are gorgeous. I love coleus.

@chispa I hope you and yours are OK in the storm. As much as I hated hurricanes when I lived back east, I hate earthquakes more. At least with a hurricane you get some notice to prepare. My dad and I were a window boarding-up machine back in the day.

Grrr. All of our doors and cabinet doors were supposed to be picked up Friday to be painted. This morning, they were all still in the house/attached to the cabinets. Driveway and sidewalk were supposed to pour today. That is aparently not happening. We went by this morning hoping to catch our builder - he’s usually on site in the mornings - not only wasn’t he there, but there was no one at all working on the house, which was still the case when I swung by on my way back from getting my COVID booster. Grrr.

Called him this afternoon to complain/attempt to get a date/speed things up/whatever, and he’s out of town til tomorrow. Cedar siding supposed to go up starting tomorrow, but can’t happen until after concrete, so now that’s obviously pushed back as well. Hot tub guy is agitating to get our tub out of his warehouse (builder told us he could take delivery late summer), but now that can’t happen until the lot is fenced (presumably builder insurance reasons), which can’t happen until after concrete. Grrr.

In short: Grrr, grumble, snerk. I’m in a bad mood, and due to Facetime with old friends from CA in about an hour, so I need to get my happy pants on.

• Naomi
    yesterday

@theotherjaye - the hinges should be on the other side. I want to walk out where the hinges are because I have a big empty wall where I was going to put towels. Right now I have to reach around for towels and it is annoying.

I wonder if they can just flip it and replace the tiles? It took 20 days for this to get delivered. Sigh.

• Naomi
    yesterday

Sorry to blow you all up! So apparently the door got installed that way because of faucet placement.

So here are some pics. The long wall was where I planned to do towels. And then around the corner there is a small section I could hang towels. Maybe? I bought 3 hooks to have an extra, but not sure there is space for three around the corner.

• cwcf185
    yesterday

Ugh...I have now twice accidentally hit the "back" button after drafting comments to all this afternoon's posts. 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ So I'll settle for waving hi and commenting on shower niche sizes.

I have two showerheads (opposite walls) in my master shower that's 6x6. I put in two niches - one smaller at about 18" tall and the other at about 51" tall. My tile/flooring/countertop person gave me the height dimension for the larger one and and I'm glad I listened to her. Both are framed within the width of the studs. I was also concerned about making sure there was enough clearance for shampoo bottles, etc.

• Joy M
    yesterday

Went to the house tonight to see the finish tile in person. I’m not happy with a few things, but we’re going to suck it up and move on. This tile sub did meticulous work, but surprisingly there are two areas that just don’t align and I know they’ll bother me. Hubby says let it go. I’ll take pictures tomorrow and share.

• farmwife10
    yesterday

Finally! These dang windows that have been holding everything up have been installed. Trim guys are in this week to case windows and install the doors. Exterior siding finished up and drywall around that window so they can prep for exterior paint. Had a cabinet meeting this morning. My husband dug and payed the conduit for power. And trenched for water. Praying for Christmas in the new house. 🙏🏻

• Keen B
    yesterday

@chispa We have the same Ian worries. If it follows some computer models, we could be hit, too. After seeing how similar this one's hubbub is to Micheal--the speedy upgrade, the hovering over warm water, the "storm of lifetime" drama--it's unnerving. And since we aren't finished building, how does replacement cost figure...we are getting pictures of all progress before evacuations are called for...if necessary. Luckily, we meet 165 mph and above now that all our windows are in, but that won't protect us from falling trees...

On a more positive note, @nhb22, I agree. Love seeing your home again. And @Blair Courtney, looking GREAT! Finally, @Naomi I have to say, I hate when I go to a hotel and cannot easily reach the faucets--sometimes you end up with cold water in face, so maybe this placement is better. You can still put towels to dry where you want them, but hang them on a hook by entry for ready access when you climb out. We do that now in our current home since rack has to be on opposite wall.

• Keen B
    yesterday

@farmwife10 Congrats. Yes, our windows took nearly a year to all be finished. Things will speed up now for you.

• Kat
    yesterday

@chispa hoping for Ian to behave. Are you at the coast or more inland? Are you thinking you'll have to evacuate?

• chispa
    yesterday

@Kat, thanks. I guess we are at the coast, not waterfront. I doubt we will evacuate ... you needed to leave town today if you wanted to get away easily. I topped my gas tank up this morning and the closest gas station had no more gas. Luckily the next one up the road had gas. If it gets really bad we will hunker down with the 3 dogs in an interior room/closet. The real unknown is flooding.

• Keen B
    yesterday

@chispa If Ian jumps to a 4, please get out. Even moving farther inland will be safer. Seriously. Revisit how Micheal went from a 3 to 4 to a 5 in hours--it leveled old growth forests for 30 miles inland and 45 miles wide... and its storm surge topped 20 feet. A five rips the sod right out of the ground and levels everything like an F5 tornado. Very little withstands it. Where we are, we might lose our house, but it is empty... you could lose your life...I hate to be this dramatic, but I just cannot describe how the town of Mexico Beach was obliterated. Yes, your house is much newer than most of those and meets modern codes, but still...anyone I know who stayed in PCB which was on the far edges of Micheal said they would never again refuse to evacuate after living through that.

• farmwife10
    yesterday

Not really house building related, but asking on the regular forum is too scary. 🤣 I purchased this dining table 3 years ago because I loved it so much and it sits in my current too small of a dining space. I need chairs for it and tonight I came across these chairs for a smoking deal! However, I need to find some coordinating but not matching captain type chairs. What do you guys think of these? I don’t know, the color is kind of growing on me. I tend to like French country style. I could recover them. What do I need to know? Measure the legs to the top of the seat? Shouldn’t they be similar height too? Help!

• Blair Courtney
    Original Author
    yesterday

I like them alot!

• nhb22
    yesterday

Joy M - Thank you. How do you install photo cells in existing fixtures or can you. We have had the sensor type lightbulbs before. Got them at Batteries Plus. The problem with those is that you cannot get them in all bulb types. We are particular about what type of bulb goes in each fixture.

Naomi - Hang your towels on the long wall, and then just loop your towel over the shower door handle during shower time. Easy to reach! Or you can do what we did and hang a robe knob on the end of the short wall next to the shower door opening. Another option is to buy the type of hooks that hang on the shower door lip, though that might be hard to reach.

We keep our bathmat on the robe hook, and when taking a shower, the mat goes on the floor and one of our towels gets transferred over to the knob for easy grabbing when opening the door. Our turn-on valves are just inside the door and to the front side. No getting wet when turning it on.

• farmwife10
    yesterday

Ok I’m sorry, I’m a jerk. Catching up and seeing some of you on hurricane watch and I’m over here worried about dining chairs. Praying for you!

• nhb22
    yesterday

Me too! I totally missed that Chispa was in the wake of the hurricane. The storm sounds evil. I have been reading up on the hurricane and it's location because we are suppose to leave for Disney next Monday. The trip is such a little thing compared to having a home that could possibly be damaged or destroyed in the path of the storm.

Praying for you, Chispa, and any others that are in the path of this latest hurricane threat. News tonight did not sound promising.

• cwcf185
    yesterday

For those in the path of Ian, please stay safe and thinking positive thoughts for you.

@farmwife10 I agree with you re the rest of the houzz forums! This is definitely a safe space. I love the chairs! My style preferences tend toward French Provencal so it's no surprise I like those.

• Kat
    21 hours ago

@chispa yes we went through both Matthew and then Florence which hit here hard and the flooding is what caused the majority of loss of life.

We were so worried after Matthew which we stayed for that we wouldn't be able to get to our son's wedding, the following Saturday in Charlotte 3 hours away because the flooding kept increasing over the week afer the hurricane. Road closures took us hours out of our way to get there, but thankfully we made it.

After Florence, which we did evacuate to their house in Charlotte for, as it was calling for a direct hit, our 3 hour drive home took over 10 hours because of the flooding and closed roads and trying to find a way back was impossible. We had been gone a week at that point and it was still a mess. So many lost their homes and far too many their lives due to the flooding so do consider your risk for it.

It's always such a hard decision as to whether to stay or leave, but for us we have to cross a bridge to leave our island and it closes when winds are sustained at 45 mph and can stay closed for days as it did after Florence if there is damage on the island.

I'll say a prayer for y'all that Ian behaves. Be safe whatever you decide.

• Joy M
    20 hours ago
    last modified: 20 hours ago

@nhb22 we mounted the photo cell on the east side of the house. It has to be wired in to capture all of the lights that you want to operate with it. The best time is during rough in, but could probably be done after the fact by your electrician. I imagine he wouldn't be very happy about it though. Curious, what light color do you prefer? My husband, an electrician that works in healthcare settings prefers 5000K. It's WHITE! We're going to put our island pendants and master bedroom can lights on a dimmer.

• jkent9024
    19 hours ago

@Joy M Wow, I'm not sure I could handle 5000K anywhere. DH and I got into an "animated discussion" because the landscape lights he wants to install only come in 3500K and I thought that was too harsh! He's getting the lights, but I'll be inserting CTO gel filters to get them down to about 2700K.

• Joy M
    19 hours ago

@jkent9024 I know, 5000K is bright. We'll see what I think after we move in. Thankfully all of our recessed cans have color options. If we decide against 5000K bulbs that will be a small fortune down the drain. I suspect we will mostly use lamps in the great room and I can tinker with those bulb colors. In task areas 5000K will be nice though. I do think I'm going to change the exterior lights to 4000K though, or maybe even 3000K.

• nhb22
    18 hours ago
    last modified: 18 hours ago

Joy M - We will not be putting in a photo cell, then!!!

We prefer a yellow light in our outdoor fixtures. We have THIS in our over the front door fixture. And THESE in our outdoor lanterns. These specialty type bulbs do not come with photo cells.

I agree with jkent9024 on the can lighting. 5000K would do me in!!!

All of our can lights are adjusted to 2700K, and even those are too bright for me in the kitchen. Because we get so much natural light, I almost always just turn on the island lanterns, the sink lantern, and the under the cabinet lights for everyday and evening task. The rare occasion of turning on the overheads is if it is rainy and dreary out during the day. In our upstairs foyer, we have can lights that rain down on the stairway. Even with their lower setting, I have had to put dimmers on them. Way too bright!!! We had to put a dimmer on the directional LED can over our fireplace. In the bar, I had the direction cans taken out and found on Amazon the old fashion type of 4" can, with separate bulb, to soften that area. We use lamp light all over the house. So much more inviting. 😉

jkent9024 What are CTO gel filters? We asked for our landscape lights to have a softer bulb because the LED white lights are terribly harsh on a house. Even so, and I think because of our brick being whitish, the light on the house is a little too bright.

• Emily
    18 hours ago
    last modified: 18 hours ago

@jkent9024, I am with you. We have 2700K and 3000K lights everywhere - cans, pendants, and lamps, and that works for me. Actually, our garage lighting is probably cooler, but I wouldn't want that inside the house, as it is very utilitarian and harsh-looking to me. I guess different strokes for different folks!

• Blair Courtney
    Original Author
    18 hours ago

Okay @jkent9024 & @Emily, I am in your camp 2700K all the way Truth be told, when there were discussions about lowering your lights from ex 3500 to 3000, I had NO IDEA what y’all were talking about It didn’t make any sense to me Then when my electrician starting installing my can lights & explained to me the settings, I was like ”OHHHHHHHHH ” Sometimes I can be a dunce!!

• HU-846709616
    16 hours ago

Hello all. Just found this thread. First off thank you. My beautiful wife n me are building our retirement home this year. We're in AK so energy efficiency is important. If I may ask for your opinions on insulating. Any feedback is considered constructive.

Our 28x40 ranch is sitting on a cement slab with hydronic heating tubes. We're going into the insulating stages of the game and the is my plan. 2x6 walls with 1/2" cdx plywood on the outside. 5-1/2" rockwool sound n fire guard insulation. 6mil visqueen vapor barrier sealed with acustic butyl caulk on all edges and seams.

Then a more unique idea. 2" of pinkboard ridgid foam insulation is installed over the visqueen. This creates a thermal barrier and helps reduce moisture transfer. And adds

r -10. 5 , 1x4s are installed horizontal. One on the bottom, top middle and middle of the middle. Then 1x4s installed vertically on the studs with 7" timberlock screws. Reducing the amount of holes in the vapor barrier. The channel created behind the vertical 1x4s is used to run the electrical circuits and water lines. Sheetrock over the nailers.

20" of blown in cellulose insulation in the attic for R-65 or so. Metal roof.

Exterior is tyvex over the plywood. 1x2 nailers installed vertically over the studs. 1x6 pine boards with 3/8" permachink between the boards. Pine boards will have a light stain like golden oak to pull the grain out with a clear oil based topcoat on both sides.

Hey thanks again for any feedback. This is the only time to get this correct n I'm trying new stuff. For what it's worth, I did go to college for RHVAC and spend a few years studying heat transfer n such but that was a bit ago. Building systems n styles change though .

Thanks again, any suggestions appreciated

• cwcf185
    15 hours ago
    last modified: 15 hours ago

I'm also firmly in the 2700-3000k lighting camp. I was out of town when my lighting fixtures were installed and they initially put in 4000k inside my house - those were promptly switched out to 2700k (I had a headache after two evenings with them). My kitchen at 4000k with 8 recessed lights felt like a surgical suite.

My exterior recessed cans are set at 3000k - they actually have a switch on a junction box that allows them to be changed at 2700/3000/4000/5000k.

I'm definitely more of a lamp person than overhead lighting except in the kitchen. Plus every overhead light inside my house (except the pantry and unfinished basement) have dimmers installed.

• nhb22
    15 hours ago

My advice is to post your question to the main Building forum, if you haven't already. HERE

• jkent9024
    14 hours ago

@HU-846709616 That's a very technical question, way above my pay grade. I agree with @nhb22 that you'd probably have better luck getting a professional to respond by starting a specific thread with your question. I think a lot of us have had to do that when our questions were complicated and would benefit from an expert who doesn't usually look at this particular thread. I dare say we're all really good at giving our opinions on color choices and lighting fixtures and which tiles go better with which countertops, though!

@nhb22 Gel filters are very much like colored transparency sheets; professional photographers use them over their lights to change the coloring. You've probably noticed them at a live venue (theater or music) as well, usually they're red or blue. CTO specifically refers to orange and can warm up cooler lights. Basically, I'm going to take some orange transparency sheets and stick them inside the light housing to warm up the LED lights.

• cwcf185
    14 hours ago

I fully agree that you're probably going to get a better answer to your question by posting it as its own thread under "Building a Home". I'm sure you'll have a few of the pros give you some good advice.

• K H
    11 hours ago
    last modified: 11 hours ago

@HU-846709616

Have you made a test board/box of your insulation method? Since it is a new idea I would make a model box and then measure its ability to maintain temperature. Maybe use a walk-in freezer to test it?

I'm not an insulation specialist just a chemist turned high school teacher. So I've studied basic thermodynamics.

On a layman's level I do know that a home needs to be able to breath though. Otherwise you get poor air quality inside and also a possibility for mold growth/moisture accumulation in between exterior layers. That would be something I would want to avoid health wise.

• Keen B
    9 hours ago

So...apparently my drywallers are unafraid of Hurricane Ian choosing a northerly path. Drywall started today afterall. Whoooot.

• MSO_JEO MJ
    9 hours ago

Good luck to those of you in the hurricane path!

Our fireplace insert arrived today. The electricians should begin working very soon also.

• Joy M
    8 hours ago

Took some pictures tonight of the master bathroom tile. From a Mona Lisa point of view I’m pleased. If I start analyzing there are some things that I’m not happy with. Does anything stand out to you?

• Naomi
    8 hours ago

I hope all the FL peeps stay safe!!!

• Naomi
    7 hours ago

Was out today! Some nice progress.

Appliances are in!

Outdoor trim guys replaced some problematic board & batten outside. I am so happy with how responsive my PM is to my concerns.

He thinks he identified the issue with the leak (AC condenser thing under sink).

Gutters are done!

Possible issue:

Gutter may be blocking where I was planning to install cameras :/

Also, was the garage door install guy smoking something? Why on earth would you have it next to the plug 🤦‍♀️

• Kyla McSweeney
    7 hours ago

Stay safe everyone! Wising you a mild storm with no damage

I got a text from my builder today to talk. I was able to get out of my meeting and call. Apparently the excavator didn’t dig our hole deep enough and consequently our foundation is now 3’ too high. The builder says this isn’t usually a problem but the town wants him to rip it out and do it over😮. After picking myself off the floor I unpacked with him who and why. I managed to figure out that building Dept is ok, Health Dept is ok but all think conservation wouldn’t agree to it, yet no one has talked to conservation. I suggest they do that before we take this extreme measure which will cost us a month at least! The builder is eating the cost and paying our rent for a month, if it cones to that. If any of you are praying ppl please say one for us that conservation doesn’t require it to be rebuilt. Meanwhile, I am not sharing this news with my husband who will lose it if he hears. Hoping we don’t have to tell him.

• Naomi
    7 hours ago

Oh no Kyla! How on earth did 3’ get missed??

I have also taken to not telling my husband anything. He overreacts.

• Keen B
    6 hours ago
    last modified: 6 hours ago

@Joy M i had to really study it like an old highlights magazine page, if that makes you feel better, but too many joints around cubby.. ? Too many joints over threshhold...? Maybe imbalance in shower though I think that's an optical illusion. Still, it's all pretty. And no one will notice unless you ask them to.

• Blair Courtney
    Original Author
    6 hours ago

@Naomi we have the same double ovens!! I had the same ones in my old kitchen & I loved them!

@Joy M I love the tile!

Some plumbing fixtures were installed today. Of course more drama with GC I cannot wait until this is over…..

• Keen B
    6 hours ago
    last modified: 6 hours ago

@Kyla I know you'd hate the delay, but keeping (wow) 3 whole feet...won't that alter so many things, driveway/garage pitch, entry steps, landscaping plan,, elevation balance and dimensions? We had to go higher than drawings for piers/water and it changes so much...