last modified: last year

From DH this morning

Comments (25)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

Indeed!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

Wonderful! I noticed Obama when I was working it, but missed Barack!

• blfenton
    last year

"Like" to Sueb20's post.

• bpath
    last year

Annie, I saw Barak but not Obama!

• Kswl
    last year

Lots of commenters posted that it brought them joy. It brought me nostalgia, sadness and regret ☹️

• dedtired
    last year

Good one. If only.

Sometimes I wonder how Sam decides which words to exclude, like corm this morning.

• Olychick
    last year

Sometimes I attribute the word inclusion to being a young east coast guy with limited life experience outside of his sphere. Doesn’t really know how common some words are with other generations or locations. I’m only surmising because I don’t know a thing about him.

• Kswl
    last year

Sam definitely knows all the trendy takeout from Indian, Greek and Thai restaurants 🙄 It bothers me that basic scientific words are often excluded, which says a lot (to me anyway) about the state of education in the U.S. despite all the lip service given to STEM programs and curriculae.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    last year

I am relatively new to this game. Who is this Sam and how do you know so much about him??

And where are the ”commenters”?

• OutsidePlaying
    last year

I agree, Oly. There are often some fairly common scientific and general words (cannot think of them now) that are ’not in word list’.

• dedtired
    last year

Sue, Sam Ezersky creates the Spelling Bee for the NYT. If you look at the photo below, I drew an arrow where you can find the comments, at least that is how it works on my ipad. Click on that tab. I also see comments on Facebook.

Sueb20 thanked dedtired
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

Is this the one where they tell you are a genius and then you find out that is like the equivalent of a C+ and you have to keep going?

I have really cooled on these games. Plus DH and I had a big row, I kid you not, over who was better at Wordle. He refused to acknowledge that my speediness is relevant, as a sort of tiebreaker. We no longer speak of it. Yes, we are adults technically.

• Bookwoman
    last year

Is this the one where they tell you are a genius and then you find out that is like the equivalent of a C+ and you have to keep going?

Exactly. But being called a genius first thing in the morning is a cheap thrill. :-)

• dedtired
    last year

Yep, this is the one. Just when you say Yay, I am a Genius, you find out that you’re still several words away from Queen Bee.

Starting to think I may have to be satisfied to be Amazing today. I did get the pangram, though.

• Olychick
    last year

I agree, Bookwoman. I love being called a genius. I know some thrill at being Queen Bee, but apparently, I am an underachiever who is satisfied at stopping at genius. When I'm finished and look at the answers, there is always at least one word I've never heard of, so would never get Queen Bee, even if I tried.

• Kswl
    last year

Today marks my 405th consecutive Queen Bee. i had resolved to get to 365 so I could claim a year on the 👑🐝 throne, but I just kept going after July 22nd. DH thinks it is a quaint obsession.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

Congrats kswl!! That's a record to be proud of. I certainly couldn't do it as I run into puzzles where I'm like, that's a word??? Like yesterday's with morocco. I think of that as a country.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

sheehs, that is a very old fashioned term

• dedtired
    last year

Finally made Genius yesterday and today. Kswl, i bow down to you! There are often words i would never find except by randomly poking at the letters.

I enjoy what i think of as my morning games, although Spelling Bee is often an all day endeavor.

• Bookwoman
    last year

Like yesterday's with morocco. I think of that as a country.

It's also a kind of leather used in bookbinding, among other things.

• Kswl
    last year

Sometimes I also find words just by trying different likely configurations. The phrase ”common usage” as it applies to the spelling bee game has a very broad interpretation.

The only time I ever threw anything at DH was when he challenged one of my scrabble words and refused to admit I was right when confronted with the dictionary— a dictionary we agreed upon in advance to use as the final arbiter. The dictionary had the last word.

• olychick
    last year

I would say if you threw the dictionary at him that YOU had the last word, lol.

• Kswl
    last year

The dictionary practically begged to be thrown in his direction 😎 so I’ll give it to the fine folk at Oxford University Press.

• Bunny
    last year

I play Wordle every morning and share results with two of my best friends. Time means nothing to us. Take your time. One of us uses the same starting word every day so she cannot post her results until the rest of us have posted ours since her results reveal spoilers. One day I got it first word. It surprised me more than anything. Since that high point I have gone 6 and out a couple of times. We do keep a list of winning words, regularly updated by moi.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    last year

DH and I share our Wordle results with DS and his fiancee every day (and vice versa). They live far from us and it’s a fun way to stay connected.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County