Try this American Writers Quiz !
4 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (13)
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
Related Discussions
Tuesday's Trivia Quiz????
Comments (6)Poopie diapers have gotta happen more often than 800 times. Crying enough to get mom or dad out of bed during the night....See MoreGreatest American writers in your opinion
Comments (24)I tried a few Oprah picks, but they all seemed stuck on one theme: dysfunction -- usually of the family sort or women doing stupid things, then transcending their idiocy. Very noble in intention, I'm sure, but I always feel I've been thumped on the head repeatedly with a tablespoon when I read O's choices. My list would start with Mark Twain. He can get me out of a funk quicker than just about any American writer. I would like to include Harper Lee and Margaret Mitchell, but I'm with Carolyn that only one book each makes them hard to estimate. I really like Wallace Stegner's histories (e.g., about the American West, Mormons) and biographies (John Wesley Powell). I'm not fond of his fiction for a reason I find hard to define...maybe it's just because it's fiction after I have been so entranced by his skill with nonfiction. Styron has written some of the loveliest, most vivid descriptions I think I've ever read. But gosh! his fiction, to me, is depressing. I recognized that even before I knew that he was suffering depression himself. As for Faulkner, I still say that The Reivers is my favorite -- I find it hilarious. It's entirely accessible too. I know he's admired for his labyrinthine sentences and stream of consciousness, so the 'normalness' of The Reivers evidently makes it lesser somehow in some sniffy quarters. Let 'em sniff; I'll take pure entertainment when I can get it. I liked Steinbeck when I was younger, but trying to reread his fiction is like listening to stale sermons. I didn't realize how preachy some of his stuff is. I'll stick up for Hemingway any day, though I know that many women loathe his writing (and him, too, apparently). Of the two rivals, F. Scott Fitzgerald was certainly the more elegant writer, but Hemingway appeals in an entirely different way to me. I think it's really silly to compare them, but it seems inevitable for some reason. Poets: Edgar Allan Poe (and short stories) Elizabeth Bishop (I like her prose, too.) Emily Dickinson Sylvia Plath Anne Sexton (Why are so many fine poets depressives?) Mary Oliver (she's growing on me!) Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (call him corny, I don't care, as I think his corn will outlast most of the synthetics of the 20th/21st centuries)...See MoreFriday/Weekend Quiz
Comments (22)Hi Raven, I've done that a couple of times, and it made no difference. And all of a sudden today, it decided to work as it should. This happened a couple of months ago....I couldn't post for days, and then one day I could....See Moreo/t... if you live in Pennsylvania....American Gardens t.v. series..
Comments (19)...just to say... part 2 of this series has just been shown here... it may be on youtube very shortly... I'm sure someone will put it up, they usually do.. ..it's mostly about early days of Independence gardens... visiting Monticello.. but I loved the segment on Charleston.. the Magnolia gardens and others there... then he went to Miami to Vizcaya and New Orleans... ..made me laugh... lady in Charleston told Monty her roses are 'annuals'... he said he hadn't heard that term used for roses before.... well, he better come see me - please keep up Monty, I've been doing it for years..... youtube link...See More- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 3 years ago
Related Stories

KITCHEN OF THE WEEKSea Change: A Recipe Writer’s Beachside Kitchen
A move from the city to the beach resulted in a more relaxed Australian lifestyle and the creation of a food blog
Full Story
PLANTING IDEASWant a More Colorful, Natural Garden? Try a Perennial Meadow
Spend less time tending and more time taking in the sights by improving on Victorian and prairie garden designs
Full Story
FUN HOUZZHouzz Quiz: What's Your Decorating Style?
Answer these 9 questions to find out what decorating style suits you best
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNHouzz Quiz: Which Kitchen Backsplash Material Is Right for You?
With so many options available, see if we can help you narrow down the selection
Full Story
HOUZZ QUIZHouzz Quiz: What Color Should You Paint Your House?
Is white right? Maybe dark blue-gray? Take our quiz to find out which color is best for you and your home
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNHouzz Quiz: What Kitchen Countertop Is Right For You?
The options for kitchen countertops can seem endless. Take our quiz to help you narrow down your selection
Full Story
LIFEA Quick Downsizing Quiz for the Undecided
On the fence about downsizing? We help you decide whether that fencing should encircle a mansion or a mini trailer
Full Story
ARCHITECTURE6 American Takes on Tudor Style
Classic elements and modern twists create plenty of variations on this medieval architectural style
Full Story
FUN HOUZZHouzz Quiz: What Style of House Should You Live In?
Does your heart belong to midcentury, traditional, farmhouse or something else? Take our quiz to find out
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSHouzz Tour: A Hollywood Writer's Hillside Studio
Step Inside a Writer's Modern Workshop With a Big-Screen View
Full Story
ginny12