SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kayla_richards80

soapstone install issues/ seam, epoxy mess

We recently had our soapstone slabs installed in our kitchen renovation. We love the slabs, but are disheartened by how the installation process has gone. I am hoping to gain some insight into the industry, so my expectations can be appropriate.
I am attaching some photos for reference. In short, the cuts seem jagged and the stones don’t fit nicely together like we had expected. There are narrow parts and wider parts. And the epoxy has made a mess - seems to have smeared on either side of the seam and even with dawn soap and warm water we have not been able to get this off. There are also a few spots sprinkled across the countertop. We were advised that this likely happened at the distributor, and not during installation. The material looks the same as the epoxy, so we disagree. But we are not in the field so I am hopeful for feedback on the photos in that regard as well.
We also have been advised to wax. I think that is their preference over oiling, but for us it feels like an easier way to hide blemishes like the epoxy mess and the seam challenges.

Comments (8)