August: What are you reading?
4 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (101)
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
Related Discussions
What are you reading in August?
Comments (50)I finally finished Prince of Tides. I didn't have a lot of time to devote to reading the last few weeks, but I can usually finish a book in a week at most. This one took me three weeks! I love Pat Conroy, but whew, it was a long one. Furry, I read Defending Jacob many years ago with my book club. Really enjoyed it and good discussion points. I'm just starting a book called When The Moon is Low by Nadia Hashimi. It was recommended by a friend. It's about a family who escapes from Afghanistan/the Taliban to Europe....See MoreWhat are we reading? August 2020 edition
Comments (188)I just finished The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett, I enjoyed it. I finished All The Way To The Tigers by Mary Morris today, it was a great glimpse into India and a woman's quest to see tigers in their natural habitat after a debilitating accident. A friend recommended Scythe by Neal Shusterman that was ok, I am not really into science fiction. I also listened twice to the audible book Thicker Than Water by Tyler Schultz the whistleblower of the Theranos scandal. It was fabulous. I am now reading Pico Iyer's, The Lady and The Monk. Has anyone here read Pico Iyer? He is an amazing writer, poetic in a realistic relatable way. I am enjoying seeing Kyoto through his descriptions. This has been been my August reading. I also started The Island of The Sea of Women by Lisa See. I put it down halfway through, not for me. Lisa See is one of my favorite authors, but I did not enjoy this book....See MoreAs the pandemic marches on, what are you reading in August 2020?
Comments (91)Astrokath, I have never read a Cormac McCarthy book that I've enjoyed. That one sounds a bit different than his usual fare but, I bet it doesn't have a happy ending. I was about to pick up where I left off in my Hungarian bank robber book when the library informed me that another ebook I had reserved months ago was available, The Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen. It's an entertaining fantasy novel. My book club has chosen Finding Dorothy by Elizabeth Letts for next month's discussion....See MoreWhat are you reading? August 2022 Edition
Comments (132)I just finished Fellowship Point by Alice Dark. 3 stars, and that's being generous, but it kept me reading through 580 pages, so that's good for something. I would imagine an all-woman book group would eat this up. The good: Some of the writing was sublime, especially Polly's thoughts and words as she journeyed through grief, both her husband's recent death, and the long ago death of her only daughter. They resonated very much with me and I highlighted them so I could go back and remember them. The not good: It was too long. Even through the better parts it was simply too long. One of the main characters was a writer and another an editor. Surely this book could have benefitted from some judicious editing. I grew to like Polly and found Agnes somewhat insufferable. I didn't care about Maud and Clemmie (or Heidi for that matter) and found their abrupt welcome and integration into the family felt unrealistic and contrived. The big aha moment made me groan. Seriously?!! I really wanted to like this book. After I finished it I read a bunch of 1, 2, 3 ratings on Goodreads. I had to agree with so many of them. Still, it kept me turning all 580 pages, so for that, plus some beautiful turns of phrase, it rose to a 3. ETA: I'm trying to avoid spoilers so my comment about the "aha moment" might be mistaken for something else. The very end, the very last page, that wasn't a groaner for me. It was some character reveals that made me groan....See More- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
Related Stories

GARDENING GUIDESCalifornia Gardener's August Checklist
Share the veggie wealth, help plants sip smartly and don't forget to enjoy the simple pleasure of relaxing in your garden
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESPacific Northwest Gardener's August Checklist
Deadheading perennials, cutting raspberry canes and preparing for the onion harvest keeps Northwest gardeners busy in August
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESTexas Gardener's August Garden Checklist
Here's how to help your garden thrive from the hot, dry month of August through fall
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESNative Wildflowers for the August Transition Into Fall
Keep the garden colorful with these stalwart perennials
Full Story
To-Dos: Your August Home Checklist
Make your home safe and secure and start getting organized for fall
Full Story
CALIFORNIA GARDENINGCalifornia Gardener's August Checklist
Pick up some great ideas from these travel-inspired plantings, even if your vacation is in your own backyard
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOME15 Cozy Book Nooks and What They Want You to Read
Put the beach reads away; these comfy spaces are creating a fall reading list. What books do they suggest to you?
Full Story
LIFEHouzz Call: Where (and What) Are You Reading This Summer?
Whether you favor contemporary, classic or beach reads, do the long and lazy days of summer bring out the lit lover in you?
Full Story
EVENTSDon't Throw Away Another Household Item Before Reading This
Repair Cafe events around the world enlist savvy volunteers to fix broken lamps, bicycles, electronics, small appliances, clothing and more
Full Story

vee_new