SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mr_bill_m

A rant of sorts and a little advise

Bill M.
last year

First of all - for those of you wanting to repot either lacanosa or bella - DON'T.

I've been putting off re-potting these two for a while now. They are both in small 3" pots, and I thought after a few years, it might be prudent to do so because, well, I was bored.

It's been in the high 90's now for the last several weeks. Humidity has been up around 75-90 too. Brutally sunny and absolutely zero rain for almost two months. It has rained in some of the surrounding towns, but because of where I'm situated it seems the storms always circumvent my local. Those that don't really whop us.

So - I'm tired always due to my cancer. I'm hot. I'm sweaty. I'm frustrated, so what do I decide to do? Yeah, go stand out in the boiling sun and try to remove some of the most fragile plants known to man from their pots.

I water these guys literally every day. I soak them either with a hose or a sprayer till the water is running out the bottom. After some choice words, I finally managed to get one of the plants to give up it's grip on it's pot. It is absolutely bone dry, as in it's never seen water in a hundred years. To top it all off, a colony of twelve million ants had taken up residence in the pot and soil. So I'm holding this super fragile plants leaves and vines in one hand, it's wobbly plastic pot in my other and a hoard of pissed off ants literally running up my arm and onto my face! I can't put the plant down because doing so would break all the leaves, and I can't let go of the pot for the same reason.

I decide to just ignore the little army and continue trying to find a way to put the plant onto a table so I can recover and begin the re-potting effort. Now while I'm preoccupied with the infantry, they call in an air strike and I have a bee and a mosquito working me over. The bee, actually one of the yellow hornets, which are flying a-holes, decides to leave me alone but the mosquito bores in on my leg. She got me good.

Finally I managed to put the plant down, scratch my leg and wipe the ants from my arms and face. By now sweat is pouring in my face too. After all this, my plants were introduced to their new homes and watered well again, this time with fresh soil. I am still amazed at how dry they were even after so much water every day. Now I've go to go check my other plants.

and how was your day Mrs. Lincoln?.....

Comments (17)

Sponsored