SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_927109670

Countertop Pricing Shady Practice? Is this Normal?

rehb
last year

We have a cost plus contract with our builder who is constructing our custom home. We were told we have an allowance of $55/sf. So he sends us to the fabricator to pick slabs we like. We have asked repeatedly how much something is. Only to be told, "Hmmmmmm....I'm not sure." Or. "I think that is a level 5 but I have to check."

Hello? Are we in budget or not?

So we picked something and she sends the price to the builder. I told her we would ALSO like to know the price! She says these exact words to me: "I'm trying to get permission from :insert builder name: to give you pricing! I know its frustrating"

So then what is going to happen? We picked something, they cut it up for our new kitchen and then what? We find out its 6k over budget? 10K? 20K? And we will only find out when he sends us an invoice? Well, by then its too late to change our minds as the slabs have been fabricated. What the actual ....?

Last time I checked, WE are paying for this house. Not the builder. There should be no secrets. The only permission I can imagine in any scenario is the builder asking US FOR PERMISSION for anything. WE HAVE A COST PLUS CONTRACT and so someone needs to disclose the price on the friggin countertops, right?! Am I just crazy? I do not understand how to proceed. I truly upset right now. I'm not sure which person I need to blast off to: the fabricator or the builder. We are about to tell him that we won't be doing our countertops with him or his fabricator and we will get our own countertops somewhere else. Then he can give US a check for once during this build for what the bank sent to him allocated for countertops. By the way, we have paid our builder over 120K in cash for this cost plus build. He is supposed to show receipts for everything.

What is the big secret? What is the mystery?

Comments (45)