SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
v0mich01

Dormer, siding, and HVAC order + questions

Victoria
last year

Tldr, if the dormer will be sided first, potentially 2-4 years before we reside the remainder of the house, should I try to match the look of the existing siding?
Back story.
We are getting ready to begin our dormer project. Our original builder we were going to use has proven to not be reliable, so we are going to use another builder who's estimate was more.
The whole scope of the project is the dormer, HVAC unit for upstairs bedrooms(desperately need) and then in this process we have learned that our hardboard siding has some water damage that needs to be dealt with.
The issue is, we cannot afford to do it all at once. Since having to use our backup builder. So I'm trying to figure out the order in which to do things and prioritize.
We could do the dormer, side it alone, then HVAC and in a few years when the dust has settled reside the remainder of the house, which is what we're leaning towards, but then do I try to match the existing siding we have in terms of a beaded light grey? I think we're going to do a vinyl siding, as Hardie board is even more cost prohibitive.
Or is there a different order in which you think to do things? I know it may logically seem as though we should re-side and do the HVAC unit for the existing upstairs, but the whole reason we took out this loan was for the dormer. It would be quite disappointing to not use any of this money on the dormer.

Comments (8)