SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
uscroy

Thoughts on top rail cap for glass railing?

uscpsycho
last year
last modified: last year

My deck has frameless glass railing with no visible hardware because I wanted a clean, contemporary look. I didn't want a top rail because I thought it was counterintuitive to have a line across the top obstructing your view.

However, there is tons of new construction of modern homes in my neighborhood and most of the glass rails have a top cap. The look is growing on me and I'm starting to like it. I think from the outside looking up to the house, that top rail makes the glass kind of stand out. Whereas on my house, when you're looking at it you can't even tell there is a glass rail there because it's completely frameless. So maybe that cap gives it a more elevated or high end look? Anyway, I'm starting to think about adding a cap but I'm on the fence and when that happens Houzz is always a good place for feedback. Photos below. What do you guys like better? Any practical considerations between cap/no cap that I might be overlooking?

I can't find any good photos of my deck but the glass looks similar to these with no visible hardware other than the base shoe.

Here are a couple of photos of the same kind of glass but with a top rail cap.

One more question that nobody will probably even see way down here ;-) Anyone have advice on buying a manufactured cap vs having it custom made? I'm in the midst of having a lot of metal work done and I'm pretty sure this company can fabricate the top rail which could save me quite a bit of money. Has anyone had it made vs using an off-the-shelf product?

Comments (4)