SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_62095665

Our Bluebird setup

HU-62095665
last year
last modified: last year

First and foremost; This is NOT a recommended bluebird house style or location.

We put this bluebird house in our yard in 2015. It is attached to metal, unused basketball pole. It is under a maple tree, faces north and is about 40ft from our house. The area around us is rural and mostly farmland.

Since then we have had 2 clutches of 4-5 bluebirds hatch and fledge every year without any issues. Howevre, last year a house sparrow went in and killed all 5 babies.

So this year, as soon as the first egg was in the nest, we put up strips cut from a mylar balloon. There are now 5 eggs in the nest and so far, no signs of house sparrows being near the house at all. Mom and Dad don’t seem to be bothered by the ’sparrow spookers’ . They still hang out on the crossbar or the roof of their house, and they still come to the feeder when we call to them.

Like I said in the beginning, this is not the recommended setup for bluebirds, but it works for the bluebirds that come to our house. Both my husband and I are disabled and could not manage the proper placement of the house or the sparrpow spookers, so we did the best we could.

So far, it is working.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES