SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
b_parsons4224

Preparing for tile damage

b_parsons4224
last year

During construction my contractor made a mistake cutting a hole in tile for a valve trim, and the hole was too big for the valve plate, and despite trying to "scab" it with creative options the best solution ended up being to pull tile off the wall, patch the behind part, and then lay new tile to make the hole smaller.
They did that patch in one day, and it just occurred to me that they mortared and grouted the same day. It was premixed thin set mortar, and about 4 ceramic tiles on the wall, 3x12" each. I know it's very likely that these tiles are going to crack or pop off the wall.
Contractor says because it's a small area and they used the premix, it was dry enough, and they do it all the time like that on backsplashes.
Picture of what needed fixed.
Here for weigh ins on all aspects of this situation from how to prepare for the inevitable damage, or maybe prevent it, to if I should prepare for further interaction with this contractor, and how to keep it amicable but also if I should prepare for legal issues if I do need to hold them responsible for other mistakes like this

Comment (1)