SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annecorea

Front entry design help

annecorea
last year

I am re-landscaping the foundation planting around my house. First off, I am going to refresh/repair my front entry. The previous owners added on the steps to the left I believe, which have sunk with the aggregate slab to the left. (This happened years ago before I bought the house). I am hiring a mason to put new brick on the stairs, which are less orange and a more consistent color. My question: I am thinking about removing the whole left side of the stairway and putting a planting bed or long planter there instead of the steps. I am not sure what plants I would put there yet, but they would be evergreen shrubs that grow relatively tall at least a foot above the landing to create a kind of "wall" so people don't step off that way. I am also thinking about removing the aggregate to the left of the entry and replacing it with gravel or stones as it now slopes towards the house rather than away since it has sunk. I'm thinking about placing a small bench there as it gets wonderful afternoon sun.

My question: when I get the steps redone, should I keep the steps on the left or replace it will a planting bed or planters with taller plants? Any other comments/creative ideas are welcome.

Thanks!

Comments (5)