SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
getgoing100_7b_nj

How to Grow Crocosmia and Freesia corms without rotting

I have zero luck or am just inept at growing stuff from bulbs, corms et al. I have successfully rotted 99% of all spring bulbs for multiple years. So, obviously I was careful potting up these - I used 5/1/1 for freesia and 3/1/1 for Crocosmia seeing that they seemed tough/dense/harder. I even put them in terracotta and placed them where they will not be rained upon, at least directly. Still, after several weeks when there were no sprouts, I checked and sure enough, the Crocosmia corms had begun to grow blue/green fungicide on their surface and some of the freesia had fungal growth too (at least a couple were rotten. I dug them all up washed with water, hydrogen peroxide, let them dry a bit and then put them under some dry sphagnum peat moss in a tray. A week or two later, the Crocosmia was again getting the fungicide growth. The corms showed no sign of root or vegetative growth except may be a random root nub on one or two Freesias. What can I do to make them grow the way they are supposed to? Or is it that the big box stores just sell bad bulbs. To be honest, the corms/bulbs appeared healthy before planting.

Comments (9)