SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnnm

My Recipe for Red Chile Sauce

LynnNM
last year
last modified: last year

Kathsrdn asked me to post my recipe for red chile sauce to use on enchiladas, etc. I've lived here in New Mexico for 39 years now. When I first moved here, several of my local girlfriends made it their personal job to teach me how to cook like a New Mexican and "not like a gringa" (their words) LOL! As a result, I'm now a pretty darn good cook of our local cuisine.

You can make homemade red chile (NOT chili !! ) by first grinding your own red chile pods. I've done this, but it's quicker and easier to just buy a bag of red chile powder and go from there. My favorite brand is Bueno, as it comes in heat strengths: mild, medium, hot, etc. Hatch is another great brand, but I find it hotter, and instead use Bueno mild for my out-of-state company. Here it is on my Huevos Rancheros (Way-vos rhan-CHAIR-o's), which BTW translates to "ranch eggs".

Lynn's Red Chile Sauce **Makes approx. 3 1/2 cups

Ingredients:

* 1/2 cup of red chile powder

* 1/4 cup Canola or avocado oil

* 2 garlic cloves, minced

* 3 cups water, divided

* 2-3 tablespoons flour

* 2 tablespoons brown sugar

* 1 - 1/12 teaspoons salt

Directions:

** Have all the above ingredients ready and waiting before starting.

1) Heat a medium, dry non-stick skillet or pot to a medium heat. Add red chile powder and briefly toast it in the skillet for 30 seconds. Immediately add your oil and stir to mix.

2) Stir in garlic, mixing in for only another 30 seconds.

3) Add about 1/4 cup of the water, stirring to mix in. Slowly stir in the flour, using a whisk to avoid lumps.

5) Slowly add remaining water, stirring continually with the whisk. Mix in the brown sugar and salt.

6) Bring the sauce to a simmer, stirring often. Reduce heat to a low simmer setting, cover and let the flavors meld for 10-20 minutes. Enjoy!

** This sauce freezes well, but will need to be briefly blended to smooth out again

**It reheats from refrigerated easily and well.

Red Chiles:

Green Chiles (reds start off green and turn red if allowed to stay on the plant longer):

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!