SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kal_loop

new venetian gold granite - kitchen cabinet colours - BM Baffin Island

last year
last modified: last year

Hi all,

I'm now getting my kitchen cabinets painted, and I have existing new venetian gold granite I want to work with. I'm going to do my upper cabinets SW Whitetail to match my wall colour. The lowers, though, I want to paint a colour that completely blends into the granite so that the granite doesn't stand out....

I'm thinking Baffin Island by Benjamin Moore.

Any thoughts? I was initially thinking of going more green, but that seems to clash with the granite. Attached a picture with three paint chips on the granite (though the pictures aren't that helpful b/c of the lighting honestly) -- Lapland, Sag harbour gray, and baffin Island... thinking Lapland might be too green (though it looks different in the pic).

Thanks!

Comments (36)

• last year

I like Baffin Island best. It looks like a good match to some of the lighter bits in the granite, and I think it would make a cheery contrast with the white uppers.

Kat Loop thanked ffpalms
  • last year

Similar granite..two color ways

Kat Loop thanked btydrvn
  • Related Discussions

White kitchen w/Venetian Gold granite anyone?

Q

Comments (40)
    So I had Roman Shades for almost 30 years and didn't know it. How weird is THAT? Mine were identical to the one's above but they were the color of the red in the floor. Therefore, I can't use them because I got sick of them. I really want cloth panels over the shades. They'll look pretty with the shades pulled halfway up. I'm thinking a small window pane check so it won't be too obvious and fight with the wallpaper in the adjoining room. Thankfully the wallpaper has a LOT of colors on it so I have a lot of options! But ixnay on the roman shades. Sorry. :(
    ...See More

Backsplash Material for New Venetian Gold Granite

Q

Comments (9)
    I have new venetian gold and selected tumbled stone for the backsplash in a chiaro color. You can see it in my thread entitled "Finally Finished (Well Almost)". Because New Venetian gold is pretty neutral, I think there are lots of styles/colors of tile that would look nice. I didn't want anything too dark or brown because MY cabinets are more mid tone and I didn't want the backsplash to look cave-like (I think the brown glass tile looks nice with jackiemcg's cabs but would have seemed very dark with mine).
    ...See More

Help Choosing Granite - New Venetian Gold?

Q

Comments (9)
    Your cabinets look really nice. I have had a new appreciation for oak. Assuming they were originally stained and good quality you might want to consider having them stripped and refinished either with a stain you prefer or natural (different natural finishes may not 'orange' as much. Then find a counter that compliments the warm tone of the oak. Definitely bring a sample of whatever cabinet finish you are considering (or keeping the same) to look at the counters at the fabricator. You will be surprised how subtle some of the differences can be. Good luck.
    ...See More

Can we talk about New Venetian Gold granite, please?

Q

Comments (33)
    WendyB Do not paint those beautiful cabinets!!!!! Interestingly, they are very similar in color to my cabinets, I also have new Venetian Gold, and a natural hardwood floor. (My rugs are similar in color to yours also! However I will need new ones soon. Where did you find yours?) I love the look of the countertop with the cabinets. I do not have a tile backsplash, but when I was considering one I looked at a white crackle tile. (Not stark white, more of a biscuit. It was a 6" square but I have also seen it in a subway tile) I think it would have looked beautiful. I didn't do it because of the way my kitchen is laid out. There's only one section where I could have had the tile backsplash installed. I thought if I had put the tile backsplash in that one section, it would have made the other places where there are cabinets and countertops look unfinished. My kitchen is painted "blonde," from Sherman Williams/Duron. Restrained Gold is the color below blonde (darker) on the paint swatch, and that would look very nice also. You could also go with a milky coffee color (beige like), darker than the current color your walls appear to be currently. I preferred to pull out the gold in the countertop and compliment the red hues in my cherry cabinets. I think your kitchen looks beautiful.
    ...See More
  • last year

Our granite was lighter …but overtime it darkened…you may want to ask if that is likely with yours…it happened fairly quickly in our case as we have lots of windows

• last year

This is a section (at the top) that has mostly been covered…you can see the difference in tone as well as shade

• last year

The original color was way less golden

Kat Loop thanked btydrvn
  • PRO
    last year

What do your floors look like? that is going to be important w/a lower cabinet color

make sure your lighting is at 4000K to reduce any yellow hues.

Baffin Island is a rather homely color. Like baby poo. sorry.

I would prob go w/something darker.

What about Grizzle Gray, or something in that range?

Kendall Charcoal or Wrought Iron (I did mine in the latter) would also be a nice choice

This is White Dove and Urbane Bronze.

Here's mine after it was painted Wrought Iron, and if you look to the other countertop, you'll see a very similar gold granite

In any case, you're going to have to paint some sample doors to see how the color looks in your room.

some other color matches for new venetian gold:

here are two w/creamy white colors. the granite doesn't stick out.

Kat Loop thanked Beth H. :
  • last year

Thanks!!! That's so helpful - I was really afraid of the baby poo effect so I'll have to rethink haha.

We are redoing the floors and backsplash as well - we want everything to coordinate with the granite.... So really, any colour that works with the granite should work.

Maybe we should just go all white (which would be SW WhiteTail.)

The granite is super old (about 15 years old) so the colour now is the colour.

• last year

Ohh (sorry for multiple posts) -- we hired a colour consultant a few months back, who recommended BM CC-500 Ranchwood.... it's a more taupey colour.

Perhaps we should go with that - I'm hesitant to go too dark, and am inspired by the last picture on this site (my cabinets are very similar) -- https://www.bhg.com/kitchen/cabinets/styles/two-tone-kitchen-cabinets/

• last year

How about SW Urbane bronze?

• last year

If you're going to have two different colors, I like Ranchwood best. If you think it's too dark you can always have the tint reduced by 25-50%. But my first choice would be all white. IMO the uppers one color and lowers another color is trendy. I'm sure there will be people who will disagree with me, but the fact is that white kitchen cabinets have been popular for decades and the use of different colors on uppers and lowers is a recent trend. Whatever you decide to do, have the painter do one door as a test before you have all of them done. Colors IRL will look different than the paint chips.

• last year

How would Ranchwood sit with the rest of your house? Is it just that you want something lighter or is there something about taupe itself that doesn't feel right? You could move to a lighter taupe like BM Cedar Key or BM Stone Hearth potentially.

I know you said you wanted light, but I'm loving jewel tones on lower cabinets paired with busy granites these days. Like the dark greys shown above, they de-emphasize the granite by making the cabinets the statement. Without seeing more of your kitchen and knowing what would suit you, I think this granite could support duck green, a mid-deep blue, cranberry, sangria, among others. This is just one example how white walls and jewel-tone cabinets tame granite.

• PRO
    last year

if you're redoing floors and cabs, may I ask why you're keeping the granite? I had a very similar granite when I did the exact same makeover to my kitchen. I didn't hate it, I was just tired of brown and gold. I managed to save one piece, but the others? gone. I got a quartz and marble for the island and couldn't be happier.

if budget is a concern, have you looked into pre-fab countertops? they have granite/quartz/marble/quartzite. prices are usually 500 or so for a 9' X 24" piece.

Can you post a picture of the existing kitchen area so we can see everything?

• last year

As Beth H. asked, a picture of your kitchen would be helpful. All of the photos posted so far have shown wide variations in the color of the stone as well as the paint samples. Your original post showed a very different hue to Baffin Island than I found online. Your photo looks yellow, online it looks taupe. I found a color ( SW Lucent Yellow) that closely matches your version. I think it looks wonderful with the granite. Does it accurately reflect the granite in person?

• PRO
    last year

I think the lighting in her granite photo is very warm, casting a yellowish hue to overall look. I wouldnt pick any type of yellow to go w/that granite! A warm cream, soft gray, darker charcoal, and MAYBE a darker tan, but never a yellow.

this is what it should look like

this is the granite. can you imagine lower cabs in a yellow??? oh heavens no.

this is a creamy white island but the overall lighting is very warm. see the reflection in the oven and how yellow it is? This is not the lighting you want w/this stone.

see the yellow under cab lights compared to the brigher light from the vent hood?

4000K is what you need in a kitchen w/this granite

same stone: with good lighting

• PRO
    last year

We don't see the any pictures of your kitchen to get an overall view but the swatches you have sitting on the granite seem to bring out the orange tone of the granite. I do like the SW Whitetail but would pair it with a charcoal colour (SW Peppercorn) (again all depends on your kitchen and it's surroundings.

• last year

Beth's was good, and maybe the hardware emphasized the island's dark 'accent'. Here's for 'fun' a set of SW with Soft Tan, etc.

The golden part of counter - might be emphasized with brass-type hardware...?

Kat Loop thanked everdebz
  • last year

What permanent features might be in your house? would have a bearing on options...

• last year

I would advise getting large paint samples from Samplize and or ColorSnap. We did that and lived with the large (about 12" square) for about a month before making a decision. We spend a fair amount on the samples but it was worth it to not make a mistake once we went ahead with the painting. Also-check out the Professional Cabinet Painting group on FB. They have a TON of advice whether you're diy'ing or hiring someone.

Kat Loop thanked spagano
  • last year

Using Beth’s pics of the granite under a less warm light, I color matched several areas. That is quite a colorful stone!

Kat Loop thanked ffpalms
  • last year

And here it is with BM Ranchwood.

Kat Loop thanked ffpalms
  • last year

Our decorating style is quite eclectic.... we have smoked oak hardwood floors in the rest of our place, the living/dining is SW whitetail but we have a ton of colourful art on the walls; our couch is leopard / tiger print; we have a lot of wood; some painted wood including reds, oranges etc. Lots of brass fixtures.

ETA: We thought to keep the existing granite just because there isn't anything wrong with it - we don't mind it as is - but we think it clashes with the floor and backsplash. We find the travertine backsplash a bit ostentatious, and I really don't like the ceramic/porcelain tiles on the floor - they always look dirty.

We need to repaint the cabinets because currently they're painted in a shade of off white / cream that clashes horribly with the WhiteTail, and also in any event, they are slightly chipped in places / looking worn. We've hired a professional cabinet painter who is going to spray them.

• PRO
    last year

I like the star and cross backsplash tile w/that Ranchwood picture. (if you look up star and cross tile, you'll see many diff manufacturers)

When you mentioned 'color' and leopard/tiger prints, you remind me of me! I have at least 4 big cat pieces of art, 2 of which are in the room w/the kitchen

Let me show you a before of my kitchen (there wasn't naything wrong w/any of it, I was just tired of dark, brown and gold. the cabs did need painting though) and I was tired of the slate tile.

and the after. it's so much lighter and brighter.

Here's the painted leopard,

• last year

Your place looks great! Yes we have very similar decorating styles! I also have a walnut MCM hutch in my dining room.

I love your dark island with the white cabinets, but because I don't have a separate island and my kitchen is enclosed, not open plan, I worry that a charcoal colour will be too dark.

I'm not sure whether the colour in that picture is Ranchwod (actually I doubt it is - the colour they suggest to achieve that look is Rockport Gray HC-105), but Ranchwood seems similarly taupey, and it's the colour suggested by our colour consultant. Maybe I'll get samples of both and paint boards.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions - you've pushed me in a new direction!

• PRO
    last year

Goodness Ranchwood is too cark and the undertone is incorrect.

IMO this color below might be a better coordinate.

The cabinet color in your inspiration photo is decidedly gray.

Kat Loop thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • last year

Yes the caption below the inspiration photo said it's BM Rockport Gray. Maybe I should get a chip of that.

ETA: Initially I was thinking of green cabinets. That was because the counters seemed greenish in comparison to the backsplash and floor, and I thought green cabinets would be fun. But all of the greens we tested clashed with the granite. That's how we ended up with Baffin Island at first actually -- Baffin Island seemed to have some greenish undertones while still blending in w/ the granite.

ETA: Beverly, I now realized I shouldn't have posted that first picture of my granite.... I took it in the evening, and under very yellow lights. So the colour in my picture is a bit deceptive. It's the same granite as in the inspiration picture (I think), and also the same granite they're talking about in this thread: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5864351/cabinet-color-that-makes-venetian-gold-granite-countertop-modern 

My kitchen has the standard venetian gold granite + travertine backsplash that was super popular 15 years ago.

I'm now realizing we need to change the lighting in our kitchen to make it brighter.

• PRO
    last year

try the 4000K led's

I think this combo is gorgeous w/your granite. Once you get proper lighting and the cabinet color, you won't have to work to blend in the granite. this granite is the same as yours

I like the seeded glass in a few of the uppers, and the bronzy hardware

try one of the creamier whites (not overly yellow, just an offwhite )

• last year

For white we have to go with SW Whitetail (because it's what's on our walls, I don't want to mix things up and I like it in our place with the type of light we have).

On the other hand, yes maybe we should just avoid the whole two-tone look and stick with all white - though I have to admit I am really bored of all white kitchens with the white subway tile.... (and I was browsing Maria Killam's website and I really disliked some of her "after" pictures). That's why I'm was thinking two tone.

• PRO
    last year

if it's on your walls, then for sure I wouldn't use it on the cabinets.

You need some sort of break/contrast!

what you do to bring in warmth and color is accessories. wood cutting boards, pendants, greenery, metal hardware, rugs, window coverings, shelving, glass in the upper cabs w/colorful dishes,,,,whatever!

you certainly don't have to do the white subway tile. do the white cabinets and pick a charcoal tile. I can help you w/that when the cabs are done. that's easy.

Right now your lighting is so yellow, its difficult to pick something. see if you can stick in a few more cans in the center.

as a suggestion, I'd remove the valance and window treatment, and try something like this (in diff colors of course) and if you like the farmhouse white sink, try the drop in model.

And I hope you're addressing the lack of storage. I get it. If possible, have some large drawers put in, somewhere, in order to store those items on the countertop. I had a drawer put into my island and keep everything in them.

another suggestion, have a simple hood vent made (trim it wood if you like). the current one, along w/the valance and curtains over the sink, really date the space.

this is how I did mine:

whitetail cabs against a whiter wall. since you've already painted the walls, do something diff on cabs. can you imagine what this would look like if the cabs/walls/doors were all the same??!

maybe look at some of these others that will compliment Whitetail.

maybe Chatroom or Antler Velvet ??

I'd also do handles, not knobs, on the uppers.

I think the gold would be pretty w/the granite.

• last year

Thanks so much! I'll take all of that into consideration! Yes we hate the drapery (it was left there by the previous owner & we've been too lazy to remove it).

• last year

I just came across a bathroom photo by Apartment Therapy with deep green walls, and it occured to me that if you were to go dark on your lower cabinets this color could be stunning. If there’s any chance this would work with the rest of your decor and style you might want to pick up a sample to consider it.

• last year

That's an amazing idea ffpalms (and reminds me of Mandy Lee - Lady & Pups' kitchen -- https://www.remodelista.com/posts/lady-pups-food-blogger-mandy-lee-kitchen-hong-kong/). It could work with the rest of our place too because our kitchen isn't open plan. But I don't know if I want such a cave like atmosphere in the kitchen, and I'm already planning to paint the front hall + a hot tangerine colour so.....

I'm now thinking of ... drumroll ..... BM Bleeker Beige. Another relatively boring colour but I got a sample and painted a board - I think it works and it's boring but also pleasant.

ETA: I also want a contrast between the uppers and lowers, but not a huge contrast... so I think if I went dark green, I'd go all the way and do all of the cabinets plus the ceiling.

• last year

Kat, thanks for that remodelista link. I’m dreaming of a place where I could indulge in that gorgeous green! I put together a few tans after reading that you’re leaning toward Bleeker Beige. With all the differences in lighting, it is impossible to judge how well the colors work in reality. The only place to make a choice is in your kitchen. That said, Bleeker seems to have a pink undertone, which looks fantastic with your backsplash, but clashes with your stone.

• last year

After posting the above photo, I noticed an accidental smudge of olive green near the Whitetail, and thought the combo of the two looked good with the granite. So here’s a more intentional smudge for your consideration.

Kat Loop thanked ffpalms
  • last year

I have Bleeker Beige on my walls with white dove trim. I love it! Bleeker has NO pink undertone

Kat Loop thanked typeandrun
  • 2 months ago

We went with BM picket fence

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm