SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spanishsunlover

What if I LIKE the idea of worn, etched, stained marble counter tops?

I'm planning a kitchen installation in a 500-year old home in Italy and I'm going for a been-there-forever look: Farmhouse sink, traditional italian cabinetry of masonry with wooden doors, a big old-fashioned looking range and some furniture-style storage. I'm thinking of using local marble for the countertops. I know marble has the rep as high maintenance (needing regular sealing) and easily marred by staining (red wine, etc.) or etching from acids like lemon juice. If this kitchen were ina different house, I'd definitely substitute quartzite or go for another look altogether. But Im wondering if it might not be just fine to let life happen to marble countertops in a kitchen and house like this. A decade or more ago, I redid a large kitchen in the US in a 1900 townhouse. There I chose soapstone, despite knowing that it tended to chip on the edges and could get pretty battered. It did...especially along the edge of the undermounted sink. but, you know what? I still loved it. It just looked right. I'm thinking this may be the same kind of thing. Thougts?

Comments (16)