SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katyajini

Germinating Winged Bean Seeds

katyajini
last year
last modified: last year

I have been reading on numerous websites how hard it is and how long it takes to germinate Winged Bean seeds and then to get them going. I found the video below by asiangarden2table.com a seed and vegetable online gardening company run by a Chinese woman. (Really great place to check out if you like growing unusual veggies or veggies in general.)

Please do watch the short video. ( I mean if you have not seen it already.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao_Hpmn73LE

I followed the directions in this video word for word to germinate 10 Winged Bean seeds from Baker Creek.

Day 1 5/24/22. Soaked seeds in water about 12 hours.

Left are the soaked beans and right are a few dry seeds from the packet. 6 seeds have swollen from the water, 4 have not. The unswollen beans still essentially look like the dry beans. If I drop the unswollen beans on the table they sound like a heavy bead, just like the dry beans

Wrapped the swollen seeds in wet paper towels and moved to a warm place.

Nicked carefully the skin of the 4 unswollen seeds and continued to soak.

Day 2. 5/25/22 evening. The nicked beans had swollen; wrapped these in wet paper towels and moved to a warm place.

Day 3. 5/26/22. The beans have begun to sprout!

From the first group of 6 swollen seeds.

From the next group of 4 swollen seeds/

4 seeds had not quite sprouted. Rewrapped in wet paper towels and continued to incubate.

Placed the 6 sprouted seeds in seedling mix under grow lights to continue germinating,

Day 4. 5/27/22. Placed the remaining 4 seeds from paper towels into seedling mix to finish germinating.

Day 6. 5/29/22 Can see cotyledons from the first set of 6 beans!

Day 7. 5/30/22 Germination:

(Please note!! The dates on the labels for the Winged Beans in the photos are wrong. My notes and my phone say the dates I have written above. The label should read 5/24 --> 5/26)

Day 8. 5/31/22 All 10 seeds have germinated

I dont think this was labored or hard at all. Following the directions in the video was key for me.

Starting on 5/24 and taking a few active steps I got full germination by 5/30. Seven days.

Now lets hope I actually get some winged beans by the time summer is done.

Thanks!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living