SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
missylee56

Bonica Rose (and another) First Blooms!

Julie Adair
last year
last modified: last year

I recently bought a couple roses, one of them a Bonica from Heirloom Roses. It's on its own root, and comes smaller than what you'd see at garden centers, but it's nearly disease and pest free and easy to maintain (which I need being new to roses). About two weeks after planting I was pleasantly surprised with some buds! Here are my first blooms.
Also blooming are my great grandmother's roses that she brought with her over 120 years ago when she came to the US. My dad dug some up for me last year, they struggled at first but are growing vigorously now and they have just given me my first blooms. I'll have to ask what variety they are and where they came from. I can't remember off the top of my head.
Next to bloom will be Earth Angel. I've got a few buds, can't wait to see & smell them! The scent description sounds incredible:
"This old-fashioned rose has an unusual fruity top note: the first impression is of lemon, and sparkles like a fine note of champagne, then presents a hint of elder flower and a discreet top note of ripe raspberries. Freshness dominates the heart note. An airy impression of fresh apples in the garden after a summer rain resides in the finish, accompanied by the rather soft base note with a light sweetness and a classic rose bouquet."

Comments (3)