SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jplee3

Ficus tree roots after tree removal and planting new plants nearby...

jplee3
last year

Hi all,

We had a few Ficus trees removed on our property - they weren't gigantic but one was at the point of causing problems with raising concrete in the front of the house. I didn't even think about or consider it at the time but the tree removal guys only chopped the trees down and grinded down the stumps and surrounding roots but not super thoroughly.

When digging around in areas near where the trees were, I'm hitting some of the root system from those ficus trees - roots that may be 2-3" in diameter and even more! Some of them were cut through to break up but not everything. The tricky part is that we have irrigation lines around the roots - I think they were avoiding running the stump grinder much because of that.

Was I supposed to have applied some kind of chemical after? They grinded down the stumps so much that it was hardly discernible where anything was. Then it was all covered back up with the wood chippings from all that. It seems like it's too late to really do anything but we were hoping and planning to start planting other plants (CA Natives) in the yard. As I started digging in certain areas just to survey though, I'm running into those [presumably] ficus root systems and who knows what else. Any tips on how to approach breaking up/grinding out old thick roots or stumps that might be in the way when designing/planning and trying to plant in any given area (also factoring in existing irrigation lines that are nearby)?

Comments (4)