SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christabottomley

Lighting for asymmetrical sloped ceiling

Christa Bottomley
last year
last modified: last year

We are in the midst of a framing and are trying to get together some ideas for the lighting. the living room has a sloped ceiling on one side, 11’ at the low side by the windows and roughly 20’ at the higher side where it flattens out over the 4’ wide ”traffic pattern” along the side where the stairs are. The fireplace/chimney will extend straight to the ceiling.

I’d like the ceiling to be well lit (uplights? sconces? spotlights?) but to fit with a more transitional ”Hamptons” decor so dont want the lighting to look too modern. We’re trying to keep the lighting discreet or to fit into a classic/timeless aesthetic. We’re probably not going to do a giant chandeleer in the middle, more like a wooden ”propeller” fan instead, possibly with a downlight light, solely for when we game at the coffee table (family hobby).

The furniture plan is to have builtin bookcases flankng the fireplace with 2 large sofas, one with its back to the kitchen and one with the back to the windows with a square coffee table in the center, perhaps a swivel chair or two by the fireplace if theres room.

We’re spec’ed for 8 cans in the main room, 4 in the overlooking loft and another 2 in the unstairs hallway that will also contribute light. I can have wiring run for future lights that we’ll put in later (my father-in-law is an electrician) when the bank account recovers from the build. :)

Im thinking of using gimbal lights to bounce light off the walls at the top of the stairs and the fireplace. We could add sconces (maybe where the headers are over the kitchen doorway or the stairs). Any ideas or additional considerations are greatly appreciated!

Main Floor:

Second story:

From the kitchen:

View from second floor hallway:

View from foyer:

View from window wall towards foyer (loft will have half-wall):

View towards kitchen, Mudroom Mudroom, etc:

Comments (2)