FIND PROFESSIONALS
SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_778699759

What do I have living under my house?!?

HU-778699759
last month

1955 ranch with an attached garage turned into a family room. I’m assuming the garage turned family room is on a slab since there’s no basement under that area of the house. Every year since I moved in (4th summer) there is a pile of sandy dirt here. When I clear it away, I see a “hole”…but it’s packed full of the sandy dirt. It’s not like a critter hole where an animal can come and go. Never any footprints or scat. I’m stumped. Worried that it’s a creepy crawly thing.

Comments (5)

• Diane
    last month

Mole, chipmunks

• cat_ky
    last month

Looks like a lot of moisture in that area, is it lower than the rest of the area. Rain pushing dirt up in a pile, maybe

• HU-778699759
    Original Author
    last month

I definitely have chipmunks…I see them all the time. But the hole is filled with dirt, so he couldn’t be coming and going from there.

Don’t know enough about moles. Maybe?? Will have to read up on them.

• HU-778699759
    Original Author
    last month

The area is actually a little higher than the rest of the house.

• 3onthetree
    last month

From the pic it looks like a corner block with a 4" gap between it and the next CMU. Those would most likely be stem walls in a garage, meaning about 4"-8" of the CMU would be sticking above the slab on the inside. You may not see it if it was converted and walls/floor built to cover them. So if that is a gap for some reason, if you could stick your head underneath the hole you would see the underside of the wood sill plate for the wall. So if that is what it looks like in the pic, 2 scenarios I can think of:

- the wood is wet from the sand sitting in it, so you have bugs/termites and an opossum/skunk or something is digging the sand away to get at the food;

- there is a hole in the wood sill plate and a critter is returning every year to have babies up inside your wall.