SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gtdj519

Thoughts of countertop and backsplah

gtdj519
last year

Thoughts about this quartzite and backsplash?

backsolash is a mix of 3 finishes a white frosted, a white glass, and a carerra marble

cabinets will be white shaker

Comments (22)

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last year

That counter has a lot of movement in it, I might go for a more simple backsplash

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you .

trying to come up with somehtign simple that isnt a subway is a challenge.

i just dont want the cookie cutter kitchen that is seen post after post on pinterest, houzz etc with white subway backsplash.

( no offense to anyone . it looks nkce,, but - i just like things that are a touch diffent, a little more unique that isnt seen constantly .

any suggestions to go with the counter? would love ideas

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last year

Post a picture of the kitchen might help others visually.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

One way to change backsplash up is to create a different layout. Your quartzite is drop dead gorgeous so you need quiet backsplash. Bbl

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

My kitchen is ugly and dated lol

nothing has been removed yet i dont think pics will reallly matter much

if a different layout is just placing the subway tiles in another direction, i’m not sold on that either ive seen sunway tiles placed vertically, and i dont like it .

this is my probem , i am just done with seeing the subway tile look and wanting to go in another direction. just not sure what direction that mat be

even my contractor has said ” every krichen i do is the same thing i dont even have to ask the cusotmer what they are choosing , its all the same house after house”

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

One way to change backsplash up is to create a different layout. Your quartzite is drop dead gorgeous so you need quiet backsplash. You can paint wall with semi-gloss in a mid tone color from quartzite and leave it til you can “see” everything else done. Consider a metal like a stainless beveled option. Or a mirrored option. The reality is with strong personality counter you have to tread lightly with other elements. Might even consider a wood look floor tile in light grays or tones from your stone. Will you have stainless appliances? A range hood? What will range hood look like? What flooring will there be? What is overall style goals? All elements have to be considered.

• A K
    last year

Beautiful slab! And unique in contrast to as the white/marble quartz counters, too.
    I’m not a designer (& am still brainstorming for our own future kitchen reno) so take my suggestion with a grain of salt, but I really love an artisan ceramic tile laid in herringbone pattern in a color pulled from the slab combined with color matching grout. Its texture seems just interesting enough while staying neutral to let other elements shine.
    *Designers- if I’m completely wrong here, please explain why so I don’t make any mistakes myself.
    An example of what I’m thinking:

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks flo

it isnt a total kitchen gut . its an update

appliances are all stainless and are staying

the cabinets are shaker and are staying, but being refinsihed in white.

no hood

floors are staying , and are a light natural wood, not a tiled floor

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year
    last modified: last year

I don't think your only option is something white, or a simple tile. there are diff tiles you can choose to enhance your countertop, not overtake it!

if I see another white subway, i'll vomit!

it's perfectly fine to bring in a bit of color. looks like you have a nice blue/green/gray piece of stone. highlight w/coodinating tile colors.

top one is Winchester tile in Tundra

Go over to Fireclay tile and check out all of their colors. Then look at ALL of their shapes and sizes. you can order samples. This color is Salton Sea.

white glass tile a bit of variance to it.

Tilebar.com Nabi Harlequin. go over there and get 5 samples for $5.

Scallop or fish tail

Pratt and Larson Scalloped fan. you can choose the blend of colors, or just pick one color.

However, its ALWAYS better to wait until the quartzite is installed so you can see how it looks w/the cabinets, lighting and the flooring.

Choosing a tile now is a huge mistake. You can amass samples, but don't finalize.

Wait.

• A K
    last year

@beth is that fishtail tile from FireClay as well?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Do any of these appeal? I love the arrow one. I have used it horizontally as well. Gorgeous. The main reason you see a lot of subway type looks, is because it is lower cost. So, everyone has budget constraints no matter what their project is.

• tozmo1
    last year

Flo's idea of metallic is interesting. Some ideas.

Cary Bernstein Architect Choy 2 Residence · More Info

Contemporary Kitchen · More Info

Boilers Loft · More Info

Cool, Calm and Collected Central Park West Apartment · More Info

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you very much Beth , and yes, ill vomit too with another white subway

😂

it jiust feels like the twilight zone looking at pinterest and houzz . i cant even decifier if i previously saw what i last saw because they all look the same.

that is why i got samples of the white teardrop shape. it was white , which i like the idea of, but worh the different shape and finishes , it was just refreshing to see.

but, if peoel think it looks too busy with the countertop, i am open to diffeernt ideas .

the tiles you sent with various shapes are what iim talking about! those were good suggestiions. i think i actually have a namib sample from one you posted

ive ordered sommany ive lost track 😂

the countertop color is actually a light/ mid grey with white and a very subtle almost blue/ grey tone the pictiure really doesnt do it jiustice it has unique tones , so inthink a white would be pretty with it, as marching the colors of it may be difficut; its a unique tone of color

but, do feel that if anyhring other than a subway tile is considered, people rhink its too busy and competing with counters. (?) maybe some definately are, but not all..

for example, how is the teardrop one i thought may be an option more busy than some of the ones you posted? im notnsaying this in a sarcastic / mean way at all. im trying to decifer what makes one too busy to work with the counter and nkt the others?? not sure if that makes snese

appreicate your help and great ideas

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year
    last modified: last year

I think Fireclay has the scallop under their Ogee shape

you can also lay it out like this,,,Ogee drop.

https://www.fireclaytile.com/tile/sizes/detail/tile-specialty-field-ogee-drop

they have this shape too

https://www.fireclaytile.com/tile/sizes

I love the star and cross too

The Wave shape

Lots to choose from.

https://www.fireclaytile.com/gallery?application=kitchen

Bedrosians Sorrento has this one

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Thank toy AK

yes, the color is very inique its a pretty light/ mid tone grey with white . spots of like a blie grey tone here and there . pocs dont do jiustice

because of the unique color , im apprehensive to tey and use a color backspalsh . im thinking white , as the colros may be off and that would drive me nuts . i like the idea of a unique shape tile or as you said, using tiles in a pattern

i think beth made perfect sense to wait until installed to make a final decison and nsit get a bunch if sampels and keep iseas snd options availsble

im with tou too about what detemines what shoudl be sued and what shoudlnt.

i dont know whats right or wrong either

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

you can't choose a tile just by looking at a slab. one it's cut, installed, and viewed from a diff level, everything changes. that's why I said to wait until everything is in.

I waited one year before deciding on mine! a few more weeks after install isn't going to hurt.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

I agree worh toy beth waitimg until its installed is the best wat to go . i will take hour good advice and do that for sure

id like to have a few options set up to consider though

i like some of the ones both you and flo posted . i like the cobalt blue one ( shapes , not color) thenwave shspe ( shape not color) the and the first one flo posted

just curious …. are the ones that have been posted by you both less busy than the origonal optoin i posted? if so, how?

im just trying to fiigre out what i missed when picking one i thought may be nice, but maybe isnt (?)

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Do not like metallic suggetion . not my taste or the style of my home . Too modern .

definatly prefer a stone, cermakc, glass, or mosaic as backspalsh .

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

As I mentioned, there are many variables and we have very little info to go on so trying to narrow the millions of possibilities. Grout lines create movement so consider that. As Beth and I both mentioned, you can wait on backsplash. Once you get main things done in kitchen, post photos and we can be of help then.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Yep… im going to wait until

counters are in to choose a backsplash that was good advice

• fissfiss
    last year

Waiting was going to be my advice, too…I actually like the tiles you picked, but the counters will look different once installed, and the tiles will be at a 90 degree angle on the wall. Installed tile is hard to visualize, because the grout changes things again.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Agreed fissfiss

that was food advice that i am taking.

im

a planner, somat this point , i will jsit harher odeas and samples of possibilites but notnsettle on anything until installed and able to see how counters look with lighting, space etc