SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rye__rye

Ideas to update exterior of 1980 home?

S G
last year
last modified: last year

I'd love some advice on how to update our home. It's a two story home which isn't evident from the front but means the roof is big and steep which feels visually overwhelming. At a minimum we plan to paint but are open to replacing the garage door, and if budget allows, open to bigger modifications such as adding more of a porch or altering the front roof line. We are also open to updating the front landscaping including hardscape. The back side where all the bedrooms and living room are faces West so are subject to extreme sun exposure and heat - should this influence our color choice for the exterior?

We hate the blocky protrusions that stick out across the front and would be interested in cutting those back and just letting the roof overhang if that's feasible or putting in columns of some kind. If we were to do that it would eliminate a lot of the stucco on the front and perhaps we could do some kind of siding/board & batten on the front only and leave the rear/remainder of the house stucco?

The only thing we like on the front of the house is the front door/door color and we are content with the existing windows & slider so we won't be replacing those. The roof is in good shape and we have solar on the back side so we won't be replacing the roof.

Our dream house would be Craftsman style and we are not really fans of contemporary or modern styles but we don't want to force something that is incompatible. Please help!

Comments (25)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

The all-white home appeals to me. Classic and timeless.

S G thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • mindshift
    last year

The most obvious element of Craftsman exterior style is a porch across most of the house. The porch usually has visually substantial support posts.

The second feature is an interesting roof. Roofs will have dormers with windows or vents, and the same is true for gable ends.

Heights Craftsman Project 2 · More Info

Bungalow Expansion · More Info

Clopay Coachman Collection · More Info

Note how the above roof repeats the gable over the porch with a smaller version over the garage. That sort of repetition gives a continuity and balance to the design. Another feature is the use of brackets on gable ends as in the photo below. Make the trim pop with contrasting dark and light colors.

Point Loma Addition Remodel · More Info

Craftsman window trim is almost always done with the top trim covering the side casings and usually extending beyond them. It is also usually wider than the side casings, i.e. 1x6 vs. 1x4. Craftsman style puts the carpentry front and center.

So, to really give your house Craftsman charm you will need to add a porch and dormer(s). I think your house could benefit from the style used on the third photo above. These are major changes and you definitely need to consult with an architect. The additions need to be considered from the sides as well, and an architect should show you how it could look as you approach from down the street.

S G thanked mindshift
  • Related Discussions

Need advice on updating a 1980 home.

Q

Comments (23)
    I agree. I like the stained wood and I like the stonework. Before you paint, consider looking at stain options. Also keep in mind your roof color -- the house won't look good if you paint it a color that doesn't work well with the roof (and windows). Two things stand out to me -- the garage door looks tired. Does it need to be replaced or just refreshed? And the shrubs pruned to a lollipop shape are, IMO, making the house look dull. I'd focus on making the front yard look modern and fresh. Can't really see the front door in the pics, but a fabulous new door and modern house numbers would be the bomb! Enjoy your new house. It looks like a good one!
    ...See More

Update 1980s exterior

Q

Comments (4)
    What color is your roof? On my screen it looks almost purple. If it is in that color family, your choices are limited.
    ...See More

Exterior Renovation: 1980's Brick House

Q

Comments (16)
    I still vote that everything that isn’t brick gets painted one color. Siding, trim, windows, etc. If you like the idea of black try black fox- it’s a deep brown (no red). I like black with red brick (cough cough my house is red brick black trim) but I don’t love black with brown brick.
    ...See More

need help with ideas on how to update the exterior of my home

Q

Comments (2)
    Several things you could do: Remove the flower bed in front of the door; it’s usually not a good thing to plant right in front of your main entry. Mentioning the front door, paint the bright white trim to match the door. Same on the garage - match the trim to the door. Remove those shutter-ettes from the second story windows. Very obviously fakes. Have you thought of a shade of green for your house body? Samples below. I like the brick and it goes well with your roof.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

Craftsman????????????????????????????

The house is contemporary!!!!

• pricklypearcactus
    last year

I love the color of the first photo that Beverly posted. I think that would look much better on the house than the tan. I'm sorry, but your house is contemporary not craftsman and it's not going to be craftsman.

You have a lovely tree and hopefully some of the talented landscape designers can make suggestions. I think your house just really needs some amazing landscaping and paint. You could make that cute little courtyard under the tree be an amazing little seating area. And then add some interesting color and texture with plants.

• decoenthusiaste
    last year

Not sure those stucco protrusions aren't supporting the heavy roof! I would have an expert see if you might be able to remove the skinny one left of the front door and the silly little slice of roof that extends out above it. Maybe that and the area above the door could be removed to match the cutback over the slider on the left. If the overhanging garage roof could be cut back to match the right side, it might help reduce the impact of the big roof overall. Then you would know how much of the protrusions could be removed. After that, upgrade the landscaping.

S G thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Connecticut Yankeeeee
    last year

I’m no pro, but I don’t see a way to make that Craftsman-like without a near total re-do. It’d be like making my Mediterranean into a Cape.

• Jilly
    last year

It’s a great example of a contemporary style of that era … I’d move and find another house rather than try to change that into something so completely different. This style house has become popular again, I’d embrace it and play up the retro look or sell. It gives off a slight, softer Brutalist vibe (not literally, of course, just an impression).

I get it, we don’t all love all styles. But that will never be a Craftsman. It’s a very distinct kind of architecture, with strong and proud features, I don’t think muddling it up with any other style is a good idea at all.

Keep in mind resale, too. This house would be highly desired in many areas, but not so much if it’s been Frankenhoused.

Research 1970’s and ’80’s contemporary homes and buildings, it’s interesting reading, once you get beyond the Pinterest and fad ”updates to make your house look like every other house” pages. You might find some inspiration, a new appreciation, and learn to love it. I think it’s fabulous. :)

(ETA: Great roof choice! Looks fantastic.)

S G thanked Jilly
  • pricklypearcactus
    last year

I do agree with @decoenthusiaste that if it's possible to cut back the roof over the garage and the front window, that might be a nice change. That said, I think the skinny protrusion between the front door and the garage is to make a little opening into the little courtyard there. I think it might look better if it was flush with the skinny roofline at least, without the little extra bumpout beyond that.

I do still think it's an interesting and nice contemporary home.

• palimpsest
    last year

This is a house that I think would look nice with a glass garage door and a mostly glass entry door (and a different type of door or window in the area to the left of the front door. That way the horizontal projecting elements would be the solid areas and then the recesses would have a lot of glass area. I don't think you could turn this house into something else that was very cohesive without a major renovation of the facade.

• palimpsest
    last year

S G thanked palimpsest
  • Jilly
    last year

^^ That looks really good, Pal. Enhances the great architectural shapes and lines.

I think it was mentioned earlier, the middle area could be such an amazing and inviting little courtyard (which was common back then, we lived in a house like this when I was a kid). It’s a throwback to earlier modern homes built with keeping outdoor living in mind. My bedroom had sliding glass doors near the front door, too.

S G thanked Jilly
  • JP L
    last year

Could you put up a hedge or partial wall around that mini-courtyard ala "The Golden Girls'" house? Right now, having a slider right next to the front door seems odd and unnecessary.

S G thanked JP L
  • S G
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you all for your input & great ideas! We knew the style wasn't compatible with Craftsman without a complete overhaul but were really struggling to envision how to make some improvements that would be consistent with the original architecture and help us appreciate it more since we're generally drawn to more traditional homes. Thank you for confirming our suspicions and pointing us in the right direction! The exterior not being our preferred style was what we compromised on when we purchased it, we love everything else about the home, especially the location :-)

• S G
    Original Author
    last year

Since we do plan to paint the exterior even if we do nothing else, any additional suggestions on color schemes that would complement the existing architecture and stucco? I'm open to white as BeverlyFLADeziner suggested but it seems everyone in our town is painting their homes white these day and we might prefer something a bit different.

• kandrewspa
    last year

The brown roof is such a prominent feature that it will limit your exterior color choices. The white Beverly showed isn't a white-white. You just want to tone down the yellow that is there now. The only other color I can suggest is green but it would be tricky to find the right green. It should be warm, not a blue green or gray green.

• Jilly
    last year

I see the first post was deleted by the person who posted it, which makes some of the replies confusing. They suggested the OP turn this into a Craftsman style house. That’s what started the Craftsman talk.

I really wish people would leave their posts, and just say they changed their mind or whatever.

OP, I’m so glad you reached out. It sounds like you’ll embrace this cool house and I hope you have many happy years there!

• everdebz
    last year

How many feet from front door to the end of that roof? How many feet from slider is the end of the roof? -- [directly above it]...

• ptreckel
    last year

I am wondering what a slatted roof that looks like extensions of the roof rafters would look over the sliding glass door area. It would tie the roof lines together across the front while allowing sunlight to penetrate into the area. It seems like that bit of roof is “missing”. By reinstating it as open rafters, it might unify the facade a bit more. Just a thought…. (Perhaps someone could mock it up?)

• S G
    Original Author
    last year

@everdebz, from the front door to the end of the roof it is about 9 ft. and from the slider to the end of the roof directly above it is about 5.5 ft.

• everdebz
    last year

And I was talking horizontal plane [across, not up]... do you like the 9 foot look and use of roof [for rain for shade]? and what about the sliders - does it have any roof covering it, I can't tell. Someone said that the farthest protrusion seems odd... ?

• palimpsest
    last year

This is messy but is this what has been suggested?

• everdebz
    last year

Seems I've seen that, but Idk what improvement it'd be.... ?

• tozmo1
    last year

The OP mentioned that her dream house was Craftsman. Hate to break it to you but the only element of that house that could come close to Craftsman is the long overhanging roof, a signature element of Frank Lloyd Wright, considered by some to be the father of the Craftsman architecture movement. Paint the protrusion the same color as the body of the house and it won't be as noticeable.

Landscaping can make this house completely different. I happen to love the house but I understand if it's not to your taste so direct the eye to a great yard. Layering the landscaping is key. I doubt it's wise to grow vines on stucco but check with local garden experts in your area for ideas.

If changing out the garage doors is a budget concern, the other renovation ideas you've mentioned are far more expensive than that so work on the yard. Google craftsman landscaping. This is a good book that can be inspirational to you. https://www.amazon.com/Outside-Bungalow-Americas-Crafts-Garden/dp/0670883557/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1HM8VQYF1Z322&keywords=outside+the+bungalow+home&qid=1653389040&s=books&sprefix=outside+the+bungalow+home%2Cstripbooks%2C153&sr=1-3

The pic below says it's xeriscape so that might work in your area as you mentioned sun and heat. It uses a lot of native plants so find out what's native to your area and go with it.

Zero Lawn Xeriscape - Return of the Native · More Info

S G thanked tozmo1
  • emmarene9
    last year

I can see that from the street your house must look like mostly roof. Painting it white would draw more attention to the lower portion of the house.

I also like the door color. I would add low plants with foliage in a similar color.

You have an excellent entrance path from the street. I find the odd bed edging the lawn on the left a distraction. I would return that to lawn.

I'd add colorful annuals to the bed that has the tree.

I'm also not fond of the two walls to the right of the door. A roofer could tell you if they could be eliminated.

I also like the idea of exposed rafters above the slider. If you want something like that you might wait until it is time to replace the roof.

I made a crude image of some changes.

S G thanked emmarene9