SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenii_bernet

Kitchen refresh help for first time homeowner :)

J SD
last year

Hi everyone, we just bought our first home, a detached (no shared walls, small yard) condo. The outside is 90s Mediterranean and the inside is 90s Contemporary. We want to refresh but not remodel with an eye to resale value in 5-10 years. I know this is a pretty basic look, but it's our first rodeo after years of renting :)

Current plans:

-replace tile flooring before moving in. The gray vinyl plank is no longer made, so we might end up replacing all the flooring. Upstairs is a mix of carpet, vinyl plank and same tile. Entry/powder room is same tile

-keep wall color (in future paint away from gray walls). It reads a lot darker/warmer in late afternoon

-paint honey oak, kitchen cabinets. I like the two-tone look, white on top and a color on bottom (blue, green or gray). I'm willing to repaint in the future

-new quartz counters, either gray or white depending on cabinet color. new sink

-possibly add a tile backsplash

-add an externally exhausting fan for gas stove (may need HOA approval, but wall fully faces backyard...)

-later, switch to a range hood or shorter profile microwave

-later, new refrigerator

-add taller baseboards

-add a light fixture over dining area

-new tile surround on fireplace

What do you think? I'm not sure what direction to go in for vinyl/ laminate flooring color, and I wonder if gray floors are over. My realtor suggests staying with gray but I think brown/natural looking tones are coming back.

What cabinet color do you think goes with the wall paint? I'm leaning towards green or blue to be a little fun. I've heard it's easier to repaint than stain away the honey oak. What about DIY versus professional painting? We have budget. My husband wants to DIY but I think it'll be easier to do it ourselves.

First two, listing photos. Third, late afternoon light.

I'm leaning towards a cabinet color scheme like this (excluding island color). Do you think we should go for a lighter brown flooring?

Thanks!

Comment (1)